Need Advice from the community

Richardscott999

I have had an older cruiser 17' type boat for fishing over the last two years and am considering a new boat. Don't want a monster as I frequently fish alone. I am considering a 16' tracker deep V, I like the style of the boat with the wide beam . Frequent out of Burwell on open lake as well as on the inner bay. I know that it has been rough as hell out there in the last year and may be the new normal. I have a healthy respect for the lake and don't head out in big rollers. Advice on boat selection? 16' too short. Probably have a new 60 merc on it.

Seems like this boat may work for the Great Lakes as well as smaller lakes. Feedback is appreciated.

I have a 2011 16 ft smoker craft pro angler with a 60 H.P. merc. I find it tows great so I can fish a lot of lakes I fish lake Erie a lot but I pick my days. The pro angler as a 91 inch beam and is a deep v which makes it a very stable boat. But I always pick my days.

Hi Richard, I have a 18.5 starcraft with an 80 Yamaha 4 stroke I can handle it easy.
I've fished lake Ontario in a 16 and I really I would rather my boat. Only thing I would change
Is 120hp motor for the flat calm days.

We run a 16.5' starcraft Superfisherman 170 with a 60hp. It's a great size for Erie on nice days and can handle some significant chop just fine. The bonus of this size is that it's easily handled by one man, easy to tow, realitivly good on gas and can fit in a standard sized garage with a fold away trailer tongue.

Like previously mentioned though, more hp would be nice. The boat to is rated for a maximum of 115hp.....so a 90hp would of been a better fit. That being said, the 60hp still pushes one man at 35mph on flat waters.

I have had an older cruiser 17' type boat for fishing over the last two years and am considering a new boat. Don't want a monster as I frequently fish alone. I am considering a 16' tracker deep V, I like the style of the boat with the wide beam . Frequent out of Burwell on open lake as well as on the inner bay. I know that it has been rough as hell out there in the last year and may be the new normal. I have a healthy respect for the lake and don't head out in big rollers. Advice on boat selection? 16' too short. Probably have a new 60 merc on it.

Seems like this boat may work for the Great Lakes as well as smaller lakes. Feedback is appreciated.
I have a 151 Legend and would suggest 18ft or bigger.I am very limited with my days and it is a shame..Difference in cost is not huge so go for bigger. You won't regret it.

I wouldn't go smaller. I ran a 18' Lund Alaskan w/90hp,Excellent boat handled the water very good ,I used to have a 21' Seaswirl.
I have just ordered the 20' Lund Alaskan,w/115hp .
Just needed a little extra room in the boat.
One note don't under power your boat you might need the power to get in on those rough days

We fish Erie with a 16,5 ' deep v Lund with a 60 hp motor . It handles a chop very well . I still pick our days with the wind . Don't think fishing would be enjoyable on rough days . Tracker boats are prone to having there welds crack. Most people call them crackers . They also have a lower trade in value .

Used to fish Erie all the time in a 16'. Be constantly aware of the weather and you'll be fine. Please reconsider the brand tho, tracker makes horrible boats.

Josh

I was just looking at a post on walleye 101 of another cracked tracker. It was a 2013 model so obviously they haven't gotten a handle on it. I wouldn't touch one of them! That said, I fish everywhere in a 16 foot Lund with a 50 on the back. There are days I cannot fish Ontario or Erie, but I manage to get out often enough. I do have the flexibility of shift work, with multiple days off in a row. Not everyone has that luxury. When I am out fishing I always have the weather channel on the radio, and I check my weather apps regularily. It's harder to get caught with your pants down these days... But it can still happen!

I have a 16' Starcraft with a 75 hp. Merc. You definitely have to pick you days on all The Great Lakes. My original boat was a 16' smoker craft with a 50 hp. Evenrude. The extra horses I have now is a BIG advantage. As for towing, I use the family mini van as a tow vehicle. Haven't had a problem yet. We frequently head to the Kingston area to visit family and the boat tags along quite nicely. Hope this helps.

I bought a used Lund pro v 21 foot and it is fantastic on Erie as well as smaller lakes , tows nice and unbelievable stable in the water

I appreciate all the feedback. I am really rethinking the tracker. After some research there does seem to be some big issues with the brand. Trouble is there are always a few bad products made and people talk more about bad then good how do you discern a few bad boats from a bad brand?

I really do not want to spend $40 k to get a boat. Good used would work. Hard to tell good from bad as well.

My 16 lund explorer tiller is fine on lake Erie when you pick your days. A bit slow with only a 50. 1/2 hour to get to Sandhills and Hastings too far. Got caught in some 8 footers off Goderich NO FUN but not too scary but that's cause I'm not smart enough to be nervous. Not much fun over 3 footers on the big lakes but tows all over and good that way. Really need 4 0r 5 boats 26' parker for big lakes, 17' tinny for towing ,12' for back of truck and canoes/Yaks for messing about

You don't need to spend 40k, but you do get what you pay for. Over the last 5 years I've seen a number of trackers listed on Kijiji with hull problems. All brands can have their problems, even Lund has had some issues with transom rot. But it's far easier to replace a punky transom than deal with hull issues. If you look at smokercraft, Lund, Starcraft, alumacraft, even Lowe, your probably going to be happier long term.

I had a 2000 Lund 16 foot with a 60 honda it was a great boat
I now have a 2006 17.5 foot 176 princecraft pro with a 115 merc opti I can run burwell to hastings in right around 20 min 30 in 2 footers I am a big dude 6'6" 350lb and I can stand on the gunnel and it don't affect the way she sits in the water u still need to pick days no matter the size of your craft brains beat size every time good luck happy fishin

I'll mirror the comments here.
I run a Lund Alaskan side console, 18'9' 90hp Yamaha. For fishing Lake Erie good on a good day, bad on a bad day.
Its what I like about Erie...either I can fish it in my boat or not. If its too rough for my rig, I don't WANT to be out in it.
The size and power is perfect for all the other waters I fish incl Lk.St.Clair, Detroit River, St.Clair River, Rondeau, northern lakes, etc. East to tow and launch, very fishable. Bigger great lake rigs may get you on the water when its rough, but like I said, I don't want that rough. The bigger boats are a pain to trailer, impossible to launch in some locations, and more important..are not suited for some of the styles of fishing outside of great lakes.

I think you should consider bumping it up a foot or two. There is a big difference between a 16 footer and a 17 or 18 footer. I would check the motor ratings and get at least a 115hp motor. It is good to get off the water quick sometimes. Buying used is a good idea. I have had 3 Princecrafts and all have been problem free, started with a 196 superpro, then had a 16 foot utility style and today I have a 178 super pro. with a 115hp. I have no complaints with this current one. You will always have to watch the weather on Erie, and if its going to be rough stay off the water.

Legend boats in the same league as Tracker? Leaning towards Lund or smoker if I can find one configured for my tastes and budget.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks