Mystery Fish

Mickey Finn

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
My granddaughter & I were fishing in my pond today & caught this.
Can anyone identify this fish?

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpg
    IMG_4245.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 288
This may be a better picture...

Attachments

• IMG_4249.jpg
    IMG_4249.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for the responses....
I thought it seemed fat for a creek chub, but the consensus seems to be a chub.
I also thought creek chub have a black lateral line or is that a different strain of creek chub.

I thought it seemed fat for a chub

Spongebob Squarepants Laughing GIF

I call them horned chub, used to catch in the grand years ago. Where there bumps on top of its nose?

Thanks for the responses....
I thought it seemed fat for a creek chub, but the consensus seems to be a chub.
I also thought creek chub have a black lateral line or is that a different strain of creek chub.
Your pic is a Creek Chub. River Chub and Lake Chub do have a darker lateral line, as do many other species including Daces, Cutlip and Fatheads which can look somewhat similar to a Chub.

And FYI for some of the other guys, Horned Chub are another seperate species as well 😉

Josh

I used to catch creek chub for fun in walkers creek in St. Catharines when I was a young boy. One after the other with worms..
I remember going along the creek to this tunnel under the road.
would cast down into the tunnel which would scare about a hundred rats go scurrying
Glad I never caught one of those!

It's a creek chub. There will be a black dot on the front of the dorsal fin of creek chubs.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618503395995.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618503395995.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 25
  • FB_IMG_1618503431990.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618503431990.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 26
As said, it's a Creek Chub. Great hardy bait fish. Stay lively for a long time on the hook and they stay hooked.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks