Muskie found dead

If I may

xtra split rings , hooks and split ring pliers are a must. Cutting the split ring right away if needed will greatly decrease the handling time. and having spares onboard will hasten the decision to cut them. I keep the fish in the water using the net as a Livewell while removing hooks. They do not come aboard until they completely clear of gear. A quick photo and bump board measurement then gently released when they have the strength to swim free of my grip.

Last edited:
The post is OK. Nothing most don't already know and goes for basically all trophy fish . The most likely culprit is the Fluctuating water levels and temp or a commercial vessel or netting. It's common especially in big lakes like Nipp and even the French. We saw 2 dead trophy muskie floating in the French this fall year and neither was a result of fishing practices. Have also witnessed local gill nets with big muskie in around north bay and cache bay. Have caught many long point muskie with no issues and have never witnessed any issues from others . This can't be said for the Detroit River where muskie routinely get clubbed for eating perch and walleye.
I think a more appropriate approach would be a reminder that all trophy fish should be handled with care
All your post proves is your eyes work. Commercial boats infront of turkey point? Fluctuating waters? Not the 20 plus boats cruising at 4.5 mph in the same area perch fishing right? Spilliard has done the time along the north shore and wanted to shed some light on something he cares about and wants to protect by passing on valuable information. I learned a lot from his post and the other musky boys on this thread. You and duckman should say less.

All your post proves is your eyes work. Commercial boats infront of turkey point? Fluctuating waters? Not the 20 plus boats cruising at 4.5 mph in the same area perch fishing right? Spilliard has done the time along the north shore and wanted to shed some light on something he cares about and wants to protect by passing on valuable information. I learned a lot from his post and the other musky boys on this thread. You and duckman should say less.
Agreed...I bite my tongue on most of jerkbait's posts. I'm done with it. Glad others see thru it too... What water fluctuation? What water temps change? What commercial netting? We are talking Long Point Bay not northern Ontario. Lots of useless info from jerkbait....again.
Great addition rickr

Hardly. I have spent over 30 year fishing erie in that exact spot included. Former tournament angler and fishing guide for all species including muskie. Everybody cares about trophy fish, but trophy fish unfortunately do die like every other fish. I have witnessed it year after year while guiding. This happens for many reasons. Accidentally when bass fishing for example. Winter kill is another. Parasites claim lots. Dramatic changes in water temp or levels . Lake turn over. Commercial nets, native nets Etc etc. If you really want to learn something about muskie fishing, I'd be glad to show ya...for a fee........large fee..call it the schooling fee.

Hardly. I have spent over 30 year fishing erie in that exact spot included. Former tournament angler and fishing guide for all species including muskie. Everybody cares about trophy fish, but trophy fish unfortunately do die like every other fish. I have witnessed it year after year while guiding. This happens for many reasons. Accidentally when bass fishing for example. Winter kill is another. Parasites claim lots. Dramatic changes in water temp or levels . Lake turn over. Commercial nets, native nets Etc etc. If you really want to learn something about muskie fishing, I'd be glad to show ya...for a fee........large fee..call it the

Hardly. I have spent over 30 year fishing erie in that exact spot included. Former tournament angler and fishing guide for all species including muskie. Everybody cares about trophy fish, but trophy fish unfortunately do die like every other fish. I have witnessed it year after year while guiding. This happens for many reasons. Accidentally when bass fishing for example. Winter kill is another. Parasites claim lots. Dramatic changes in water temp or levels . Lake turn over. Commercial nets, native nets Etc etc. If you really want to learn something about muskie fishing, I'd be glad to show ya...for a fee........large fee..call it the schooling fee.
Hey that's sounds good, I'm always down to learn. I live right up the road from the inner bay, let me know when we can meet...since your being so kind, I have some of the winnings left over from the 2023 spring pike derby so I'd gladly pay your 2024 entry fee....

Hey that's sounds good, I'm always down to learn. I live right up the road from the inner bay, let me know when we can meet...since your being so kind, I have some of the winnings left over from the 2023 spring pike derby so I'd gladly pay your 2024 entry fee....
Haha nice. Good call Tickville!! By the way we're coming after you guys next year in the pike tournie!! haha

Great post but you forgot one very important thing. If you’re trolling and can’t stop make sure you have a revival tank onboard. I built this one yrs ago and use it on LSC. If I’m in the kawarthas I just stop the boat and revive the fish in the lake. Knipex is the best top of the line bolt cutters, they’re German engineered and they’ve cut through my musky hooks like butter.

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpeg
    IMG_4755.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8171.jpeg
    IMG_8171.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8091.mov
    16.2 MB
Pardon my ignorance, but are these fish actually more fragile than other species or is it something passionate anglers just say to try and encourage gentle handling?

We all know that even in the best of conditions some fish die after being released. Why are those passionate about Muskie intentionally causing harm and unknowingly killing the odd fish when leaving them alone is best for the fish?

Pardon my ignorance, but are these fish actually more fragile than other species or is it something passionate anglers just say to try and encourage gentle handling?

We all know that even in the best of conditions some fish die after being released. Why are those passionate about Muskie intentionally causing harm and unknowingly killing the odd fish when leaving them alone is best for the fish?

Passionate anglers should always do their best to encourage safe handling of any species that you intend to release. Leaving bass, pike, and walleye alone would be best for those species as well. These fish are basically 100% catch and release, they are also less plentiful, much older, stronger & heaver that what many guys are used to handling so a bit of education about safe handling isn't really a bad thing is it?

Last edited:

They are an apex predator but the smallest organism is lethal to them … viruses! Viral hemorrhagic septicemia probably being the worst one for them. So safe handling and slime preservation is important

Do you need to pump water and oxygen through a survival tank?

Do you need to pump water and oxygen through a survival tank?
Most just run lake water through with a livewell aerator and it seems to work quite well. I use the washdown pump but you could tee into your livewell pump as well in it would likely work. I added (3) 4" deck plates and a pipe sleeve device to hold the fish upright, you just move it towards the head for smaller fish and towards the tail for my fish (I only get big ones lol). It keeps them upright while they rest which is key to getting them going again. I found that sometimes you have to hold them upright for 20 minutes or so especially in the warmer temps which gets old pretty quickly. A tank is quite a bit of effort and expense to put together so most guys just keep the fish in the net or a cradle in the lake to revive them but with high gunwale boats and fat bellies, that's not always possible. I just lift the whole fish and the bag of the net into the tank so it stays in the water while you deal with the hooks at a comfortable height. Once we're ready we just slide the net bag out from under the fish and close the lid.

PXL_20231017_174705771.jpgIMG_20201106_0832076.jpg1699712867192.png

Last edited:
live2fish: Where would a guy lay hands on a set of these magical Knipex side-cutters you refer to? Most I’ve seen are meant for copper Wire and they wouldn’t be any good at all for this application. I trying to be more careful and educated as I go.

Maybe a suggestion though: Don’t assume everyone else is aware of what you know and don’t wait until you’re about to blow a gasket to take advantage of a teaching moment - we’re among friends here - differing opinions aside.

live2fish: Where would a guy lay hands on a set of these magical Knipex side-cutters you refer to? Most I’ve seen are meant for copper Wire and they wouldn’t be any good at all for this application. I trying to be more careful and educated as I go.

Maybe a suggestion though: Don’t assume everyone else is aware of what you know and don’t wait until you’re about to blow a gasket to take advantage of a teaching moment - we’re among friends here - differing opinions aside.
I ordered them off the musky hunter website.

I’m nowhere near blowing a gasket? I am not sure why you feel I’m “taking advantage of a teaching moment”? I’m simply giving out info to help ppl. And help fish survive . Isn’t this website and thread for helping ppl?

Most just run lake water through with a livewell aerator and it seems to work quite well. I use the washdown pump but you could tee into your livewell pump as well in it would likely work. I added (3) 4" deck plates and a pipe sleeve device to hold the fish upright, you just move it towards the head for smaller fish and towards the tail for my fish (I only get big ones lol). It keeps them upright while they rest which is key to getting them going again. I found that sometimes you have to hold them upright for 20 minutes or so especially in the warmer temps which gets old pretty quickly. A tank is quite a bit of effort and expense to put together so most guys just keep the fish in the net or a cradle in the lake to revive them but with high gunwale boats and fat bellies, that's not always possible. I just lift the whole fish and the bag of the net into the tank so it stays in the water while you deal with the hooks at a comfortable height. Once we're ready we just slide the net bag out from under the fish and close the lid.

View attachment 81713View attachment 81714View attachment 81715
I like your tank much better lol mine was built with lexan. 60” long, 12” wide and 12 high. It cost me around 1k but when I built it, I had all the pieces cut to proper size by the glass shop. Definitely not cheap but to help them survive and others catch them it’s worth it to me. I’m gonna add a divider like yours. I’ve seen some guys use jars weighted down but your ideas much better imo.

live2fish:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, my comments regarding “ready to blow a gasket“ were not directed at you. As for the teaching moment, I am not sure you realize this, but some of the you posted are very useful kernels of knowledge to me, one who is new to fishing this species, and it’s very helpful when it is not done in a chastising manner. You did it exactly the right way. I don’t know anyone personally that is out to harm the resource, myself included, but many of the things that pointed out in the original post were things I had been doing out of pure ignorance and lack of knowledge and it would have been nice to know these things early on to avoid unnecessary muskie mortality - long before it got to the point where someone was holding their tongue for fear of upsetting someone. I think we are all big boys and girls here. I am trying to improve my handling of every fish that comes into my boat, not just the Muskie. You and many others have been instrumental in the regard. Thanks for sharing and I will try to lay my hands on a set of those nippers. Because of you and some others on this thread, I have already upgraded my net, am in the process of making a homemade bump board and scoring a pair of side cutters to speed up the process of getting fish back into the lake for revival. In short, cleaning up my own behaviour to limit my impact. Win -win. Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

live2fish:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, my comments regarding “ready to blow a gasket“ were not directed at you. As for the teaching moment, I am not sure you realize this, but some of the you posted are very useful kernels of knowledge to me, one who is new to fishing this species, and it’s very helpful when it is not done in a chastising manner. You did it exactly the right way. I don’t know anyone personally that is out to harm the resource, myself included, but many of the things that pointed out in the original post were things I had been doing out of pure ignorance and lack of knowledge and it would have been nice to know these things early on to avoid unnecessary muskie mortality - long before it got to the point where someone was holding their tongue for fear of upsetting someone. I think we are all big boys and girls here. I am trying to improve my handling of every fish that comes into my boat, not just the Muskie. You and many others have been instrumental in the regard. Thanks for sharing and I will try to lay my hands on a set of those nippers. Because of you and some others on this thread, I have already upgraded my net, am in the process of making a homemade bump board and scoring a pair of side cutters to speed up the process of getting fish back into the lake for revival. In short, cleaning up my own behaviour to limit my impact. Win -win. Again sorry for the misunderstanding.
No worries thanks for clearing it up. I’ve seen ppl on facebook post vertical musky holds get chastised by ppl and I just shake my head. Some ppl just don’t know so they should not be chastised they just need to be educated politely. Musky is a whole different ball game compared to other fish.

I leave never without my knipex. I once had a musky in a net in the water and I grabbed the hoop and it thrashed. One hook went through my finger, I immediately had to grab the fish and lift it and pin it to the floor of the boat. My dad grabbed the knipex and cut the hook and I slid my finger off it. There is no other cutter I’d ever recommend after experiencing how quickly and easily they cut big musky hooks.

Well there you go live2fish, I never looked at the “performing surgery” applications for the cutters! Playing tug-o-war with a 30 or so pound fish via a fish hook in the finger does sound like something I would like to opt out of ASAP!

The cutters aren’t cheap - but nothing good is. It’s also a lot easier to swallow than hundreds of dollars for a net.

I read an article, I can’t remember where, where they studied post-catch mortality rates on muskie. They seemed high, but there were no comparisons to other species for reference to give an idea of how much more elevated than they might be compared to other species. That would help put it into perspective. I love pike fishing and that is how I ended up catching my first muskie. They are close cousins and I am wondering how well those big specimens fare after release too.

Have any musky guys adapted to the boat mounted cradle systems that sturgeon guides are using out west? I am not a musky guy,, too busy fishing rivers all fall when peak musky fishing is done but do get incidentals once in a while fishing for salmon/trout. Those side mounted cradles seem like they could simplify the whole process and you would never have to even lift the fish from water until it's pic time. I never seen them 10 years ago out west but they have caught on at the Frasier River. The far bigger, stronger fish are easily pulled right up in

I bought my knipex off Amazon. I would suggest buying the longer handled pair myself. they are quite expensive but worth every dollar imo. Canadian tire also sells a similar product in their brand which work fine, but if used often they do tend to lose their edge quicker and don't cut quite as easy.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks