Muskie found dead

Most just run lake water through with a livewell aerator and it seems to work quite well. I use the washdown pump but you could tee into your livewell pump as well in it would likely work. I added (3) 4" deck plates and a pipe sleeve device to hold the fish upright, you just move it towards the head for smaller fish and towards the tail for my fish (I only get big ones lol). It keeps them upright while they rest which is key to getting them going again. I found that sometimes you have to hold them upright for 20 minutes or so especially in the warmer temps which gets old pretty quickly. A tank is quite a bit of effort and expense to put together so most guys just keep the fish in the net or a cradle in the lake to revive them but with high gunwale boats and fat bellies, that's not always possible. I just lift the whole fish and the bag of the net into the tank so it stays in the water while you deal with the hooks at a comfortable height. Once we're ready we just slide the net bag out from under the fish and close the lid.

View attachment 81713View attachment 81714View attachment 81715
I can relate to the fat belly issue

We keep these on my boat and a couple of guys I fish with all season. Easier to cut a hook off in a fish or your hand.

That’s ridiculous blame the fishermen ever consider the wind and temp change kill more fish this is a joke to blame fellow fishermen

I know! Its like all the garbage left on the on Lake St Clair or Long Point Inner Bay during ice fishing season. It was the wind that blew all those beer cans and chip bags onto the ice. Couldn't have been fellow fishermen.

Last edited:
My take on all this comes with a story. Many years ago when we still fished Lake St Clair regularly, we were trolling for walleyes using bottom bouncers over the weed tops using a paracord streamer when we got hit with something big. After a very lengthy fight over 30 minutes long on standard walleye gear, a beautiful 30"+ musky was brought to the boat...completely spent. Tried reviving the fish beside the boat to no avail. Ended up placing the fish in our aerated live well (livewell is huge) and after a good 45 minutes the fish was fully ready to go. Since fish couldn't turn around in well, was able to tail it and put it back in the water. Good thing we had the huge livewell or that fish would have been a goner.

Moral of the story is, if we would have snapped 10 pictures for facebook and sent the fish on its way right then, it would have been a floater. How many guys out there were in same position as us? Not prepared to catch a musky gear-wise but having no idea what to do? I imagine it happens all the time. Education is key.

As an aside, how many remember TV shows fishing for Musky, shows like Izumi etc more than 10 years ago that took a charter with that Jim Fleming guy on St Clair. I remember him torpedo-ing those musky back into the water with a stupid grin on his face saying to the camera, "they will be alright". They don't recommend that anymore but how many guys remember those shows and still do that method? It was on TV right?

My take on all this comes with a story. Many years ago when we still fished Lake St Clair regularly, we were trolling for walleyes using bottom bouncers over the weed tops using a paracord streamer when we got hit with something big. After a very lengthy fight over 30 minutes long on standard walleye gear, a beautiful 30"+ musky was brought to the boat...completely spent. Tried reviving the fish beside the boat to no avail. Ended up placing the fish in our aerated live well (livewell is huge) and after a good 45 minutes the fish was fully ready to go. Since fish couldn't turn around in well, was able to tail it and put it back in the water. Good thing we had the huge livewell or that fish would have been a goner.

Moral of the story is, if we would have snapped 10 pictures for facebook and sent the fish on its way right then, it would have been a floater. How many guys out there were in same position as us? Not prepared to catch a musky gear-wise but having no idea what to do? I imagine it happens all the time. Education is key.

As an aside, how many remember TV shows fishing for Musky, shows like Izumi etc more than 10 years ago that took a charter with that Jim Fleming guy on St Clair. I remember him torpedo-ing those musky back into the water with a stupid grin on his face saying to the camera, "they will be alright". They don't recommend that anymore but how many guys remember those shows and still do that method? It was on TV right?

Charters can’t stop the boat on lsc. They have too many lines out. They also use a revival tank for the biggger fish, but the smaller ones they do just throw back in. What do you think is guys with tanks do after reviving the fish in the tank? Torpedo ! Just like most do to lake trout to get them past warm surface and rush oxygen into their gills

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks