More Good News for Lake Erie Walleye

And I think the main lake perch are healthier than people are letting on. I know a couple people that have really been clobbering them while most of us are walleye trolling. They are just staying tight lipped about it. I caught pretty good numbers by accident while bass fishing the last two years.

And I think the main lake perch are healthier than people are letting on. I know a couple people that have really been clobbering them while most of us are walleye trolling. They are just staying tight lipped about it. I caught pretty good numbers by accident while bass fishing the last two years.

I have been very successful the past few years using Perch designed spoons so why not?

They aren't out of place in the water. 🌻

Great article G.Mech. Thanks for posting. I think the biggest concern that I would worry about is a sustainable baitfish population in Lake Erie. Lets hope this THRIVES also!

Does anyone think that cormorants are affecting perch fishing? I have found the last few years that I haven't had any luck in the places that I have had for the last 30yrs. In the past I fished in 10-13 feet of water but now when I find them they are much deeper. There are still bait fish in the areas that I fished in the past but fewer perch. I wonder if they adapted and moved to deeper water away from birds.

Just a thought and topic for discussion.

Does anyone think that cormorants are affecting perch fishing? I have found the last few years that I haven't had any luck in the places that I have had for the last 30yrs. In the past I fished in 10-13 feet of water but now when I find them they are much deeper. There are still bait fish in the areas that I fished in the past but fewer perch. I wonder if they adapted and moved to deeper water away from birds.

More likely following gobies and feeding more on invertebrates.

It’s factor for sure

95 million walleye in Lake Erie, on sale at Sobeys for $18.99 a lb. if the price of gas keeps up that might be a deal even for us lake trollers!

95 million walleye in Lake Erie, on sale at Sobeys for $18.99 a lb. if the price of gas keeps up that might be a deal even for us lake trollers!
I hear you PlanB! The only way around this GAS CATASTROPHY is to bring more friends with you onboard to split the cost of fuel. Case closed.

I won't speak to the Walleye hatch as the recent data suggests another great hatch in 2021 and this will should lead to decent Walleye catches for years to come.

As for Yellow Perch, their decline in the Great Lakes is not just happening in Lake Erie. It is seen in other lakes as well. It is believed short winters cause females to spawn at warmer temperatures. This behaviour change causes females to spawn when eggs are smaller in diameter. This leads to lower hatching rates and produces smaller larvae. With a 10" Yellow Perch being typically 4 (+/-) years old in Lake Erie a warm winter 3-4 years ago is what impacts our fishing harvest in 2022. There is variation in decline in Lake Erie.

There could be some good news though for Lake Erie Yellow Perch. The last two winters had great ice cover and this should help spawning success in the lake. Recent reports suggest Eastern and Western Basin Yellow Perch are doing well, with Eastern Basin fish doing the best. Central Basin is not doing as well.

Ice cover could help Lake Erie's struggling yellow perch as reduced fishing limits loom

Lake Eric fish had great 2021 hatch

If anglers calculated the actual cost per pound of fish fillets that make it to their dinner plates $18.99 would be cheap. I'm a CPA and worked out my cost many years ago and it exceeded $50 a pound. You have to be realistic when doing the math. For example, would you really need a truck if you didn't haul a fishing boat. Therefore some of your truck cost and expense has to be allocated to your addiction to fishing. It my not be much but to be fair you cannot completely ignore it.

If anglers calculated the actual cost per pound of fish fillets that make it to their dinner plates $18.99 would be cheap. I'm a CPA and worked out my cost many years ago and it exceeded $50 a pound. You have to be realistic when doing the math. For example, would you really need a truck if you didn't haul a fishing boat. Therefore some of your truck cost and expense has to be allocated to your addiction to fishing. It my not be much but to be fair you cannot completely ignore it.
I am not questioning your math Arnie but I'm pretty sure we should not be discussing these truths on an open forum. What if our wives ever found out what we really spend on our fishing???

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks