Moose Points

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Curious if y’all have checked your Moose points yet.
how many yah got..
I have a big fat zero!
a friend of mine has 2
what do you have?

Thought I had 9 or 10 but looks like I had a tag transfer in 2003, then off the grid until 2016 so I have 5...?? enough for a 19 bull???

I think we will be sol for moose hunting for a few years
My group of 3 has
2 points
Might still be able to get tags in the unfavourable locations for moose hunting in the second and third selections

What’s this point system? If you have no points you don’t get a tag?

You still have to pay 15 plus every year to accumulate points. I have 7pts available but will have to wait until April to see where I can apply for a bull with that many pts. If it is not feasible than my moose days are over.

@cutty
What you do, is have a group of a few people that you moose hunt with once your group builds up some points I think it be realistic to get a tag every year if your group is big enough just have a different person applying the tag every year and so long as you have a few areas you’re willing to hunt..
if super picky on location and that location happens to be a moose hunting hot spot. Than may be a little more difficult.
but will most definitely be easier for people who don’t have big hunting groups to get guaranteed group tags with the old system.
That system was clearly flawed in the sense that it does not encourage new moose hunters to get in the game.
Now those low percentage successful drawing a tag areas for individuals will be much easier to get a tag within X amount of years.

Sad system, based on what i've read, i won't get a chance for next 17 years , but will still have to pay $50 a year to get enough points, Not sure I'm a fan of this.
Better off spending the extra now to get tag in other province.

@SouthernOntariosportsman
It’s $15 to and you can put directly to points
And there is no way of knowing how many points you need to get a tag
Say you apply for somewhere not many hunters apply to or hunters with very few points or maybe not where anyone accepts the tag you could still get the tag
And how about way up in WMU 1 where there is surplus tags with the old system those tags should still be available.
no more calf tags so there will be those tags all added to the pool.

“Hunter pays $15 application fee and applies to the primary allocation stage:

• you can make up to three choices for tag type: Wildlife Management Unit (WMU), moose type and season
  • you can apply for a point directly to build points for the future

The new system seems like it will hurt the big groups that got their guaranteed group tag yearly.

but if you think about it, a large group that has lots of points from years of applying for a tag and not getting one because the point renewal only affects the person who actually drew the tag.
so your group should still have lots of points and if they are used properly you could get one or two tags a year with a large group if they are rotated properly

The point system will stop the group loading with people that apply with a group with the intention of transferring tags ( never planning on hunting moose ever) since you won't be able to transfer a tag. We will see how many points are required to see if there is any validity for group members.

I agree that eventually the system will be a fair way to distribute tags...however...IMHO it was implemented wrong.
Large established groups with long standing members will be OK due to the fact a lot of members may never have drawn a tag..so likely lots of people with lots of points. That will however give them the possibility of one group getting multiple tags vs the one or two they were guaranteed in the past. Yes they can turn some of those back in..which I believe is the theory, but in reality, groups may decide to have 2 or 3 tags just in case..
Where the system fails is
-- for newish smaller groups who have been rotating tag allocation for the last years...lets say a group of 5 where each hunter has been allocated a tag every 5 years. They will never build up many points
--for new young hunters wanting to get into moose hunting. This system does NOTHING to support new hunters who even with a medium sized group may never see a tag for years. Not many groups are going to stay together to do that, so they take their $$$ and go outside the province. We are going to loose an entire generation of young hunters in the moose hunt world..unless they get attatched to a group of old guys with points.
Im part of a small 5-6 person group that has max one 5 point applicant. Even though we've been hunting 6 years, we likely won't be now for a long time. Sad.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks