Moose Points

@DaveJ
I hear what you’re saying but I think we have to wait and see how it goes
Doesn’t make sense for a group to keep multiple bull tags it will only hurt their future hunts since for every hunter that claims a tag their points reset to zero. Also each bull tag is like $200.
so the more tags you claim the more it will cost the group.
But wouldn’t surprise me if it does happen where a group claims multiple tags sent 1 of them while the others go in filled while a couple groups with less points sitting at home because they didn’t get a tag.

@DaveJ
I hear what you’re saying but I think we have to wait and see how it goes
Doesn’t make sense for a group to keep multiple bull tags it will only hurt their future hunts since for every hunter that claims a tag their points reset to zero. Also each bull tag is like $200.
so the more tags you claim the more it will cost the group.
But wouldn’t surprise me if it does happen where a group claims multiple tags sent 1 of them while the others go in filled while a couple groups with less points sitting at home because they didn’t get a tag.
I agree..except Ive run into a bunch of groups over the years that have 3,4,5 tags for a group that only needs maybe 2..they're tickled pink with all the tags. I hope these tags go back into the pools for the 2nd draw and get more groups in the hunt.

That’s my hopes,
I know if I ran a group of multiple people I would be managing those points in a way where we can get a tag every year.
not multiple tags one year then none for the next how ever many years.

I agree that eventually the system will be a fair way to distribute tags...however...IMHO it was implemented wrong.
Large established groups with long standing members will be OK due to the fact a lot of members may never have drawn a tag..so likely lots of people with lots of points. That will however give them the possibility of one group getting multiple tags vs the one or two they were guaranteed in the past. Yes they can turn some of those back in..which I believe is the theory, but in reality, groups may decide to have 2 or 3 tags just in case..
Where the system fails is
-- for newish smaller groups who have been rotating tag allocation for the last years...lets say a group of 5 where each hunter has been allocated a tag every 5 years. They will never build up many points
--for new young hunters wanting to get into moose hunting. This system does NOTHING to support new hunters who even with a medium sized group may never see a tag for years. Not many groups are going to stay together to do that, so they take their $$$ and go outside the province. We are going to loose an entire generation of young hunters in the moose hunt world..unless they get attatched to a group of old guys with points.
Im part of a small 5-6 person group that has max one 5 point applicant. Even though we've been hunting 6 years, we likely won't be now for a long time. Sad.
Exactly, I am new into moose, applied last season , got a calf tag, but will never shoot a calf ever,
I have 1 bloody point.
So yes this system is terrible for me, I plan on manitoba hunt. i'm so done with ontario ways. Greed$$$, $250 for a tag that used to be $58 or whatever,
It's $15 to enter draw, and $35 to secure your point or tag = $50 a year for nothing.
Not here to argue about how stupid this is.
If there was fairness involved, every new moose hunter should get a tag 100% over those that have been going for years, to draw the new guys back and try there, luck, but many will see that as wrong and "oh hey that's not fair" i get it, but certainly has me looking at other provinces to get my moose over Ontario that's for sure.

Exactly, I am new into moose, applied last season , got a calf tag, but will never shoot a calf ever,
I have 1 bloody point.
So yes this system is terrible for me, I plan on manitoba hunt. i'm so done with ontario ways. Greed$$$, $250 for a tag that used to be $58 or whatever,
It's $15 to enter draw, and $35 to secure your point or tag = $50 a year for nothing.
Not here to argue about how stupid this is.
If there was fairness involved, every new moose hunter should get a tag 100% over those that have been going for years, to draw the new guys back and try there, luck, but many will see that as wrong and "oh hey that's not fair" i get it, but certainly has me looking at other provinces to get my moose over Ontario that's for sure.
I’m not arguing your opinion on whether it’s fair or not.
but you don’t have to buy the moose hunting license to build points. It’s just the $15.
you have to buy the license before you can claim the tag which yah it’s expensive.

I looked into Quebec and Manitoba. I liked with Quebec that you didn’t have to go threw an outfitter if you stayed in a certain area.

I'm trying to get confirmation, on Manitoba right now,
as i would hope i would be considered a "non-resident", I'm certainly not foreign. i would think, , non the less , it won't be anytime soon here in Onterrible.

I thought I had read non resident has to go threw an outfitter right in the regs

Maybe not as I don’t see that now so maybe I miss read something when I was looking into it one night.
doesn’t seem like bad option.

Last edited:
Under the last system a new hunter that you speak of could conceivably go a lifetime applying without ever receiving a tag. It can’t happen with the system being implemented.

I know a fellow that had yet to draw an adult tag as an individual since the tag allotment started, without ever missing an application. And this is in a wmu that is relatively remote with 40ish tags available yearly. He had no better chance than another pool 1 applicant who was successful for 10 tags in the same 3 decades.

Also although the new system seems to suck for someone just starting out(unless they’re willing to travel great distances to northern wmu’s) it will eventually work out in their favour in the wmu of their choosing.

The person that has been unsuccessful the longest will now be eligible to receive a tag. I can’t see any negative side to this new program once the max-points guys have drawn and are awaiting points accumulation again. Yes the first years in southern wmu’s it will take a lot of points to draw but the points needed will gradually drop to a level that will be acceptable to most. Of course everyone wants to hunt with an adult tag as much as possible, but the reality is if we want to continue the tradition in Ontario we have to be patient and wait our turn or hunt with a lucky friend etc.

It’s no longer a crap shoot lottery but a well thought out system that levels the playing field fairly. Yes there will be hiccups but with some refinement/patience it is going to spread the tags around in the most equitable way.

It's a new system and some people will strongly disagree with it simply because they do not understand how the new system works. This is a welcomed and long overdue change to moose management in ON as past regulations only helped to reduce moose numbers.

This will be my first year applying for a moose tag. I'll gladly throw away a few pennies each year to build up enough points.

Have 10 points. I was worried that successful group draws would affect points, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. I love the idea of the new system. I’ll actually be able to plan a year to hunt with my boys, rather than being at the whim of random draw. Not everyone is going to like it, but $15 a point and apply when you can actually hunt is a much better system to me and it’s used widely across the states and some provinces. It’s going to take a few years to figure out the points required for different WMU’s.

The old system definitely favoured groups over individuals which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Large established groups will still have an advantage as they will likely have members with a fair number of points accumulated. Hunters new to the game will be out of luck for some time to come and it will also be more challenging for them to find an established group as your number of points will be a factor in adding newbies to a group, with the old system you just needed to be in group 1. They definitely won't be increasing the number of tags so it will still be tough to get a tag in most areas.

One thing I don't like is with the multiple rounds of applying due to unclaimed tags, which could potentially lead you to not knowing if you have a tag or not until August. I've already talked to a few people that plan on applying but don't intend to hunt this year, just want to see if they "win" a tag for giggles but won't accept it. This tag will go back into the pool for the June/July application period, then there is a third application I believe in August. I can't imagine many would reapply for the second period if they didn't intend to go but you never know. Most guys have too, or at least, want to book their vacation as early as possible. We hunt 26 and the opener is mid September so the earlier you can have everything nailed down the better.

I'm assuming that they will eventually start posting the number of accumulated points that were required for tag in a given year as they do now with number of hunters in a group, which should give some idea of point requirements in the future.

Personally I would like to see them scrap the calf hunt altogether and cut back on the number of cow tags as well.

The old system definitely favoured groups over individuals which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Large established groups will still have an advantage as they will likely have members with a fair number of points accumulated. Hunters new to the game will be out of luck for some time to come and it will also be more challenging for them to find an established group as your number of points will be a factor in adding newbies to a group, with the old system you just needed to be in group 1. They definitely won't be increasing the number of tags so it will still be tough to get a tag in most areas.

One thing I don't like is with the multiple rounds of applying due to unclaimed tags, which could potentially lead you to not knowing if you have a tag or not until August. I've already talked to a few people that plan on applying but don't intend to hunt this year, just want to see if they "win" a tag for giggles but won't accept it. This tag will go back into the pool for the June/July application period, then there is a third application I believe in August. I can't imagine many would reapply for the second period if they didn't intend to go but you never know. Most guys have too, or at least, want to book their vacation as early as possible. We hunt 26 and the opener is mid September so the earlier you can have everything nailed down the better.

I'm assuming that they will eventually start posting the number of accumulated points that were required for tag in a given year as they do now with number of hunters in a group, which should give some idea of point requirements in the future.

Personally I would like to see them scrap the calf hunt altogether and cut back on the number of cow tags as well.
Found this going through my gun cabinet. A much simpler time

Attachments

• CCEF520C-DA9B-45AD-832E-5AFD58FC5895.jpeg
    CCEF520C-DA9B-45AD-832E-5AFD58FC5895.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 50
Curious if y’all have checked your Moose points yet.
how many yah got..
I have a big fat zero!
a friend of mine has 2
what do you have?
16 for me. You must have super great luck in the past 20 years. Or didn’t enter any draws?

16 for me. You must have super great luck in the past 20 years. Or didn’t enter any draws?
I’ve only been moose hunting for 2 seasons
My fiancé drew a calf tag two seasons ago and I drew a bull tag last year..
yah was extremely lucky for sure,
Wish we had more people and experience last season.
we were in the right area of the unit. I saw a calf or cow the one morning, found a dead bull from archery season.. and saw all kinds of tracks poop and beds.

My issue is the fact that they give Northern residents an extra point to begin with. As far as I'm concerned we're both Ontario residents, and just because they choose to live in the North and I choose the South shouldn't give them preferential treatment. B.S in my opinion. BTW I also own 110 acres in the North and pay taxes but it's not my primary residence. Anyone else feel the same? Or am I offside here?

@Tyee I didn’t know that, all Ontario residents should be treated equally of course.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks