Fishing Report Monday morning at Glasgow 9/18/2023

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well headed out at dark and set up in 55 fow and started to troll out south. 1 rigger and 1 dipsy. dipsy at 3 and 140 back and rigger down 50'. Waves started to pick up as well as the wind. Trolled out to 70 feet and it got more and more sporty with 5 and 6 foot white caps. Caught 8 Wally's with 4 in the box and 4 sheep all released. Had a 6' whitecap come over my starboard side when I was fighting a nice wally at which point I said to myself it was time to call it a day. Bilge pump works good and I packed up the equipment and headed the 9 miles back to port. Took me about an hour to get back in.

Attachments

• starting to get sporty.jpg
    starting to get sporty.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 55
  • sporty.jpg
    sporty.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Monday sunrise.jpg
    Monday sunrise.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Monday morning.jpg
    Monday morning.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 48
  • monday fish.jpg
    monday fish.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 50
  • fish today.jpg
    fish today.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 43
  • early start.jpg
    early start.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 59
At least you got home safe @scrimmy

Conditions change so quickly on Erie.

Had a trip a year or so ago, lake went from dead calm to major breaking waves in twenty minutes.

Started as swells like a freighter had passed by in the distance but never let up.

The Neighbour and I now wear Mustang jackets moving and many times fishing now.🌻

At least you got home safe @scrimmy

Conditions change so quickly on Erie.

Had a trip a year or so ago, lake went from dead calm to major breaking waves in twenty minutes.

Started as swells like a freighter had passed by in the distance but never let up.

The Neighbour and I now wear Mustang jackets moving and many times fishing now.🌻
I hear you @hvyhaul, I reached in to my glove box and grabbed my inflatable and put it on. First time in a while that I put my life jacket on. That's how sporty it was out in 70 feet. I was more pi##ed off at myself for not seeing it coming quicker than I did. Being on this lake since I was 4 years old and on it daily when I ran charters I should have seen what the old girl was up to before I did. The wind and waves went from mild to blowing like mad in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Big Erie waves, as Stompin' Tom would say "my back still aches when I hear those words." 😵‍💫 Good fishing though Wayne and must have been challenging solo. 😬

Last edited:
Well headed out at dark and set up in 55 fow and started to troll out south. 1 rigger and 1 dipsy. dipsy at 3 and 140 back and rigger down 50'. Waves started to pick up as well as the wind. Trolled out to 70 feet and it got more and more sporty with 5 and 6 foot white caps. Caught 8 Wally's with 4 in the box and 4 sheep all released. Had a 6' whitecap come over my starboard side when I was fighting a nice wally at which point I said to myself it was time to call it a day. Bilge pump works good and I packed up the equipment and headed the 9 miles back to port. Took me about an hour to get back in.
Excellent fishing for you again as always @scrimmy 👍 That would have been a bit scary to have a 6’ whitecap,come over the starboard side!! Glad that you survived the scare,and hopefully netted the walleye as well! 👍 I was told year’s ago is that,if you start seeing ripples on a calm Lake Erie,start thinking about getting off the lake,because the waves 🌊 🌊 will build fast!! A short video from last Friday,September 15th,down at Port Stanley,from a calm morning,to windier conditions in the afternoon. Enjoy your walleye fry, @scrimmy !! 🐟🐟😋👍🙂
View attachment IMG_1772.mov

Excellent fishing for you again as always @scrimmy 👍 That would have been a bit scary to have a 6’ whitecap,come over the starboard side!! Glad that you survived the scare,and hopefully netted the walleye as well! 👍 I was told year’s ago is that,if you start seeing ripples on a calm Lake Erie,start thinking about getting off the lake,because the waves 🌊 🌊 will build fast!! A short video from last Friday,September 15th,down at Port Stanley,from a calm morning,to windier conditions in the afternoon. Enjoy your walleye fry, @scrimmy !! 🐟🐟😋👍🙂
View attachment 80150
I hear you @Red Hering. I have seen Erie winds and waves come up quick in the 64 of my 68 years I have been on the lake. I have never ever seen it come up as fast as it did this morning. If I was not fighting a good wally at the time maybe I would have been more aware of it and the boat would not have been broadside to the waves and it would not have breached the boat. On a side note when the wave came in I did lose the big Walleye but my focus changed dramatically at the time.

I hear you @Red Hering. I have seen Erie winds and waves come up quick in the 64 of my 68 years I have been on the lake. I have never ever seen it come up as fast as it did this morning. If I was not fighting a good wally at the time maybe I would have been more aware of it and the boat would not have been broadside to the waves and it would not have breached the boat. On a side note when the wave came in I did lose the big Walleye but my focus changed dramatically at the time.
I fish solo quite a bit as well @scrimmy such as yourself,and after reading your post, I will start wearing my life jacket more frequently,even while my boat is not running.Standing up while playing a fish could be dangerous,and thanks for your “heads up!” 👊👊👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_7232.jpeg
    IMG_7232.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 6
I use a Mustang Elite 28 Hydrostatic Bass Competition vests. View attachment 80156

https://mustangsurvival.ca/collecti...fd-bass-competition-auto-hydrostatic-md5153bc

Super comfortable even in hot weather. With the deaths every year, there is almost no reason to not wear one..especially fishing solo. Mine has a tether ring and when solo, I have a safety tether attached. Some say overkill, I just go for safety.
I have 2 plus 8 regular jackets for different size people. My inflatable is always beside me in the glove box but you are right I should get in the habit of wearing it.

I fish solo quite a bit as well @scrimmy such as yourself,and after reading your post, I will start wearing my life jacket more frequently,even while my boat is not running.Standing up while playing a fish could be dangerous,and thanks for your “heads up!” 👊👊👍🙂
Pretty hard for you to fall in the lake sitting on a seat with your hand glued to a tiller handle. 😜 :LOL:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks