Off Topic MIssing Fisherman

I do 98% of my fishing alone and always will, however with a young family at home now things have changed for me. I run with a tether at all times and an inflatable pfd. Like Josh said anything can happen at anytime just be smart take precautions and enjoy this sport for what it is. Life is too short.

Some of us enjoy the freedom of fishing alone. Spending quiet time clearing my head from everyday life is one of the biggest draws of fishing....1/2 my trips whether it be out on the lake, floating down a river or hiking through the bush are alone. I'm pretty sure I'm more capable of taking care of myself in most situations VS any company I take with me. And yup, sometimes extra precautions are taken when fishing solo, particularly on a boat. But to say everyone requires a partner to fish? I don't think so....

Don't be wasted, use your kill switch and wear a life vest if alone. And most importantly don't be stupid. Shit can happen either way whether it be in a boat, on the road, in a plane or in your own living room...

Josh
Well said @Josh Roelofsen ? I get asked this occasionally,”you shouldn’t fish alone because what if something happens to me?” I have been fishing solo,(around 90% of the time),since I was 10 years old,and the only time I do fish with someone is with family members,or in a pike tournament-(it’s a rule to partner up),or a very close friend,but most of them don’t like to fish.Solo fishing has given me the freedom & pleasure of enjoying this great sport of fishing. ?????

I fish both ways: alone and with a buddy.
Kill switch tied to the life west when I go alone.
I upgraded to the best life west I can afford last year after another hard-core fisherman disappeared in lake Ontario. They found the boat at shore with the engine running.
VHF station in one pocket of life vest and cell phone in another.
Have fun and be safe.

any update on this?
Yes OPP Search & Rescue have not issued anything....I wonder if they've call the search off
As of yesterday they are still looking. I get these all the time. It was from Trib Live . Picture of his family included. Had one last week. Sailor alone on his boat trying to get to Port Clinton on a Sunday in a storm. Boat overturned he was thrown in to the water. Hung on to the hull for 12 hours before he was rescued. Lift jacket and phone was on the boat.

Three fisherman were fishing in Lake Erie near Buffalo when they found another fisherman holding onto a capsized boat. Coast Guard assisted

My sincere condolences to the family.....

Bottom line, I like to fish alone occasionally and realize the dangers...there are no clear answers here except TRY to do everything you can to be safe.. I do wear a life jacket when alone and strap my VHF radio to my side but as in life, stuff happens..

My sincere condolences to the family.....

Bottom line, I like to fish alone occasionally and realize the dangers...there are no clear answers here except TRY to do everything you can to be safe.. I do wear a life jacket when alone and strap my VHF radio to my side but as in life, stuff happens..
That’s a very good point about the VHF radio. I have the hand held so strapping it on makes sense, thanks for adding to my personal safety.

Rick

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks