Off Topic Missing boater in Port Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I never heard about this but they're still searching for a boater missing since Thursday apparently Very sad.

Last edited:
Heard that when the Coast Guard broke in on 16 on Thursday. 65 year old man in the water, no life jacket. If the guys in his boat couldn't find him, no one responding would either. Was my take...

The longer the search lasts, the less likely the responding units will be the ones that find him. That was my experience in 13 + years with URT with another agency. Sad. If the person is ever found, unfortunately it will likely be by someone walking the shore line some distance / time from the last seen point. It’s a tragedy for all those involved, but most especially for the family involved. My prayers 🙏🏻 and thoughts go out to them and the safety and well being of those responding.🫶

Sadly I agree Reel-ist and these events put us one step closer to mandatory pfd usage while under power. Just like seatbelts.

When I fish alone (or with someone who doesn't know how to run a boat) I always wear a pfd, inflatables are really comfortable. I have to wear pfds at work so its not a big deal.

When its cold i typically wear a float coat. Have to wear a coat and it may as well dbl as a pfd.

I wear my inflatable pfd all the time on my boat ( or any boat) Any one that comes on my boat i hand them a pfd and they have a choice to wear it. I tell them if they fall out it will be at least five minutes getting lines in before i can get to you. Kids have no choice. wear it or dont come.

I wear my inflatable pfd all the time on my boat ( or any boat) Any one that comes on my boat i hand them a pfd and they have a choice to wear it. I tell them if they fall out it will be at least five minutes getting lines in before i can get to you. Kids have no choice. wear it or dont come.
Have to disagree with you here. Wether they declined a pfd or not man overboard all lines cut, cables cut if they need to be but I can turn pretty quick even with balls down. I keep a throwable in my boat as well even though not required. Life safety over lures any day, unless it’s flat calm and they can reach a throwable. I’m not watching someone drown just so I can save a couple hundred in tackle.

Sorry my response to this thread appears to have hijacked the original post. No my in intention. We can start a different thread about pfd.

The man dove in for a swim off of an anchored sailboat. I dive off of my boat all the time when I get too hot. The difference being I have a rope tied around my waist so the boat does not drift away from me.

While I was in Port Stanley before lunch today,after I was done walleye fishing with @Wave Runner in Port Glasgow in the morning. I noticed there at Port Stanley,that there was still a OPP presence there,still searching for the missing boater.

Attachments

• IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks