Off Topic Minnows Update @ Old Cut Livery

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Sorry everyone but here we go again, wind conditions are not in our favour again. Later today it’s suppose to swing SW.
I’ll keep this updated as time goes on for all that fish in Long Point Bay

Jim

Last edited:
Minnow update…..went out this afternoon and after 4 hrs of wading in the water…..still no minnows. Lots of pinheads but no browns or emerald shiners.

Curious if you have conditions sort of ear marked as good for catching minnows? How do you catch them for Ice fishing?

Oh and do you have a drag net or are you using like traps or 4' x 4' dip nets?

Oh and do you have a drag net or are you using like traps or 4' x 4' dip nets?
The Old Cut Livery is closed for the ice fishing season. As for the net we use and a licence is required is 100’x 4’. Heavy weights on the bottom and floats on the top. In the middle of the net is a huge sock. It takes 2 people to pull the net but keeping the weights on the bottom. Once we see enough minnows we will stretch it and start pulling it. Then when we think we have enough we will close it up and start pulling the net in while the minnow work their way back into the sock.
Lot of people don’t think how much work it takes to get minnows and the amount of work that goes into catching them. Finding them, dragging the net a little distance which is hard pulling through the water and hoping the pull was successful.
We have been lately unable to get out due to wind conditions and direction, and when we have the opportunity to get we are seeing lots of pinheads and not enough browns.
We did find some minnows today, but when we pulled the net and seen what we got it wasn’t worth bringing them back. It was full of pin heads and not enough browns.

According to the ministry email if you buy minnows you better keep your receipt. And don't move them from the zone you purchased. $$$$

The Old Cut Livery is closed for the ice fishing season. As for the net we use and a licence is required is 100’x 4’. Heavy weights on the bottom and floats on the top. In the middle of the net is a huge sock. It takes 2 people to pull the net but keeping the weights on the bottom. Once we see enough minnows we will stretch it and start pulling it. Then when we think we have enough we will close it up and start pulling the net in while the minnow work their way back into the sock.
Lot of people don’t think how much work it takes to get minnows and the amount of work that goes into catching them. Finding them, dragging the net a little distance which is hard pulling through the water and hoping the pull was successful.
We have been lately unable to get out due to wind conditions and direction, and when we have the opportunity to get we are seeing lots of pinheads and not enough browns.
We did find some minnows today, but when we pulled the net and seen what we got it wasn’t worth bringing them back. It was full of pin heads and not enough browns.
It's not easy work for sure, Three Bouys. I spent my summers dragging for minnows on Lake St. Clair as a kid with a local fisherman. Made me the early riser I still am to this day. Your efforts are appreciated by all.

According to the ministry email if you buy minnows you better keep your receipt. And don't move them from the zone you purchased. $$$$
Good to know @Way She Goes and thanks for the informatiom,especially about keeping your receipt which I will make sure now that I have a receipt,because in the pass after purchasing minnows, I never did get a receipt from business’s that do sell minnows. 👍👍🙂

Good to know @Way She Goes and thanks for the informatiom,especially about keeping your receipt which I will make sure now that I have a receipt,because in the pass after purchasing minnows, I never did get a receipt from business’s that do sell minnows. 👍👍🙂

you only need to have the receipt if you are outside your home BMZ.

That's an easy one! If I have kept them any length of time they will have had their throats slit all the way up to the spine, be bled out and on ice - precisely as I was taught to do on this site.🤣🤣🤣🤣

I wouldn't push that. How do they know you didn't bring them from another zone.
i have copied this directly from the letter you referred to;
Anglers fishing in their home BMZ should be prepared to show government issued identification to demonstrate their place of residence. Anglers using live bait outside of their home BMZ must purchase their baitfish and leeches and can keep them for up to two weeks. They must also keep a legible receipt after you have purchased them to show to a conservation officer.

Hold on a minute. Who’s going to write a receipt for me when I catch my own?

Hold on a minute. Who’s going to write a receipt for me when I catch my own?
you can only catch minnows in your own bait zone, the province will be divided into 4 bait zones, outside your bait zone you will need to provide a receipt plus identification showing your residence address. If you catch your bait in the zone you reside in no receipt is needed, if you catch bait in any of the other zones you'll be fined.

Updated minnows Oct 13. Just came in with minnows. Four tanks full of minners. Rays hours are tomorrow 7:00 am 10:00 am weather pending.
Good work @Three Bouys 👊👊 & whoever helped you to catch all of those minnows!! 👊👊 There will be a lot of happy 😃 perch angler’s to hear about this!! Tight lines & perch ON!! to All!! 🚤🎣🐟😃👍🙂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks