Minn Kota garbage....

Referring to MinnKota PowerGlide V2. I bought mine in the fall of 2012. The foot pedal was just fine. In 2013 I decided to upgrade to I-Pilot Link to give me many more functions. I purchased an I-Pilot Link Power Head and made the installation at my dock. Doing that removes the original power head and foot pedal. No problem. The I-Pilot Link remote has worked flawlessly. The motor still is working properly. For any repairs I might need I was told by Johnson Outdoors in Burlington to take the hardware to Hastings Starter in Hagersville. At this point I do not know if that location is still up and running. I do know that Angling Outfitters used to send MinnKota repairs there because when I went to Hagersville to check out the operation several years ago there were MinnKotas on the table with tags on them for Angling Outfitters. So anybody having MinnKota problems might try contacting Johnson Outdoors and/or Hastings Starter. They can both be located online.
That's where they sent mine..twice..cant be fixed . They admitted they dont know what's wrong but there is a service bulletin. The remote seems to cause most of the issues. They reprogrammed and still the same. JUNK....$1300 JUNK and they wont replace it...motor guide all the way

This was a common problem of the power drives. There was a service bulletin about this years ago. I always change the battery in the remote. When I returned it they told me yes it's a known problem and there is a fix..never got fixed only worse . It's like it loses signal over and over and will get stuck on. Other times the whole unit just loses power all together. Wait 5 mins sometimes and it comes back sometimes you have to unhook the battery from it. Sometimes it will work for half a day with no issues other times its constant.
As for the spot lock, its garbage. It may work out in the middle of erie where you have miles and miles but it will not hold you within a 50 foot radius even in almost calm water. It's super slow to react and when it does it goes the wrong way. I gave up a tried and true cable drive maximum 55 for this and I regret every second of it. I emailed min kota recently about the issues and NO reply. Motor guide or some thing else in the near future for me
My current Terrova.... the spot lock keeps me within 5’ or less in 2 foot waves. It is fantastic. What year and model was yours? Some of the older models were not as good.

If you keep fishing out of other peoples boats your gear will last forever.
I totally agree with you @big rod ??and yes,you are definitely right on the fact that if I keep on fishing out of other peoples boats,(which I have done too many times over the years),that my gear will last forever.I have about 4 good friends with boats that are inviting me regularly to join them on their boats,whenever they need a fishing partner,and I thank them for that.?:) But,that will have to change now,for just the other day my wife says to me,why don’t you sell your boat? You never use it!! Words that I didn’t wanted to hear,but she was totally right on that!! ?I have my truck back now from the body shop after being there for just over 2 weeks.I can now tow my boat again,and I will be heading out this week fishing,where,I don’t know yet with my own boat & fishing gear again, & there are many more fishing trip’s scheduled. I love reading your lake erie walleye report’s @big rod for many years now & keep them coming!! ?;) But do me a favour & paint your wheelbarrow,maybe red? lol :ROFLMAO: Tight lines & walleye’s ON!! E1A30A48-41F9-4DA2-B210-A3DC4F7FA1D7.jpeg ????;):)

That's where they sent mine..twice..cant be fixed . They admitted they dont know what's wrong but there is a service bulletin. The remote seems to cause most of the issues. They reprogrammed and still the same. JUNK....$1300 JUNK and they wont replace it...motor guide all the way
Hi jerk bait. When I first swapped out my MinnKota Power head for the I-Pilot Link Power head, the remote would say “can’t find motor”. I phoned Johnson Outdoors, MinnKota, in the US, Minnesota, if I remember correctly. The fellow there was very understanding and obliging. He said he would send me a new one but that was not company policy, and that I would have to get a new one from Johnson Outdoors Canada. He said he would contact them He then directed me to Johnson Outdoors Canada in Burlington. I then phoned Burlington. They sent me a new I-Pilot Link Remote free of charge. That could because mine was new at the time. You can be sure that I was impressed.
I have read much about the new Lowrance and Garmin units as well as the Motor Guide units. Lots of impressive performance there. I’d like to try some of the new units absolutely but I have a terrific running Humminbird graph and I-Pilot Link unit for follow the contour, spot lock, and many other functions, and I also run the Lakemaster Ontario SD card. All are working well so I have no complaints or reason to change ....until I win Lotto Max.LOL. Have a great day!

Referring to MinnKota PowerGlide V2. I bought mine in the fall of 2012. The foot pedal was just fine. In 2013 I decided to upgrade to I-Pilot Link to give me many more functions. I purchased an I-Pilot Link Power Head and made the installation at my dock. Doing that removes the original power head and foot pedal. No problem. The I-Pilot Link remote has worked flawlessly. The motor still is working properly. For any repairs I might need I was told by Johnson Outdoors in Burlington to take the hardware to Hastings Starter in Hagersville. At this point I do not know if that location is still up and running. I do know that Angling Outfitters used to send MinnKota repairs there because when I went to Hagersville to check out the operation several years ago there were MinnKotas on the table with tags on them for Angling Outfitters. So anybody having MinnKota problems might try contacting Johnson Outdoors and/or Hastings Starter. They can both be located online.

My current Terrova.... the spot lock keeps me within 5’ or less in 2 foot waves. It is fantastic. What year and model was yours? Some of the older models were not as good.
Mine is a power drive 55 inch shaft. 55 pound thrust. 12 volt. No foot pedal. Judt remote . I bought it in 2016. Complete junk. Never worked good from new. Spot lock works in maybe a 50 to 100 foot radius . Ultra slow to react. Motor will just drop connection with remote and keep going . Very unsafe when shore fishing. Discounting power seems to reset and may be OK for 45 min or may do it again right away. Other times remote just shuts off completely and cant turn it on. I gave up my reliable old cable drive for I pilot junk ...lesson learned

I bought a used 196 Princecraft almost 2 yrs ago that came with a 55# I-pilot. I was having issues with the autopilot shutting down and would not hold position on spotlock. It all came down to wiring. 10 ga wiring from the batteries in the stern to the bow, and undersized plug at the bow and when I looked at the battery posts I just about gave myself whiplash from shaking my head so hard - the were using alligator clips to connect to the battery. New plug, new 4 ga wire an auto reset maxi breaker at the battery with crimp on connectors at the battery and no issues since. The unit was starving for power. Something to consider also, with DC voltage, amp draw is reduced as voltage increases. You can get away with much smaller diameter wire on 24 and 36 volt motors that you would with 12 volt so if your boat is pre-wired for 24 volt motor and you are using a 12 you could be seeing wonky things happen.

I have a 80 pound thrust terrova 24 volt 2015 complete junk has been sent out every year since I've owned it. ?????. ?????Motor guide will be purchased soon

I bought a used 196 Princecraft almost 2 yrs ago that came with a 55# I-pilot. I was having issues with the autopilot shutting down and would not hold position on spotlock. It all came down to wiring. 10 ga wiring from the batteries in the stern to the bow, and undersized plug at the bow and when I looked at the battery posts I just about gave myself whiplash from shaking my head so hard - the were using alligator clips to connect to the battery. New plug, new 4 ga wire an auto reset maxi breaker at the battery with crimp on connectors at the battery and no issues since. The unit was starving for power. Something to consider also, with DC voltage, amp draw is reduced as voltage increases. You can get away with much smaller diameter wire on 24 and 36 volt motors that you would with 12 volt so if your boat is pre-wired for 24 volt motor and you are using a 12 you could be seeing wonky things happen.
Great input and I thought the same thing originally. My wiring is proper size. I use an industrial battery which exceeds any marine battery I ever had . Proper connections. I even reduced the strain as I originally ran my bow mounted fish finder on same battery. No difference.

I have a 80 pound thrust terrova 24 volt 2015 complete junk has been sent out every year since I've owned it. ?????. ?????Motor guide will be purchased soon
Same model of Junk Kota that i have. Expensive junk.

I guess maybe some models or maybe some units manufactured on a Monday can be really poor. I bought a Terrova Ipilot last year and have had zero problems not created by an inexperienced captain or actually the first mate as I seldom get to touch the fancy electronics on my boat.

They know they had a major problem 2015 models
Yes they do and more years than that...they have openly acknowledged there is an issue and that they dont know how to fix. I was disgusted by the fact they didnt replace it or honor their junk product . They emailed as recently as last week and I asked them to replace it.... no reply!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks