Meat For Walleye?

ch312

Has anyone tried minnows for walleye, either trolled or under a float? A guy at work asked and I told him everyone just trolls lures. He asked why nobody uses big minnows under a float once a school is located. I couldn't give a good reason.

Upon marking a school, could I not just lob out a fat lively 6" shiner or chub on a slip bobber set to 20-25ft?

How about trolling with a 4-8" minnow?

Has anyone tried minnows for walleye, either trolled or under a float? A guy at work asked and I told him everyone just trolls lures. He asked why nobody uses big minnows under a float once a school is located. I couldn't give a good reason.

Upon marking a school, could I not just lob out a fat lively 6" shiner or chub on a slip bobber set to 20-25ft?

I've often wondered that myself. I know when I was a little bitty me, (many many moons ago) we took a family vacation up to Lake Nagagmisis north of Hornpayne and all we used were jig heads tipped with live minnows to catch walleye. I know that walleye have been caught off the pier in Pt Bruce using minnows and worms.. (mostly minnows)

You can get them jigging once your on a school, no doubt a minnow would work too. I try to avoid the hassles of livebait myself, and with the spectacular fishery on Erie finesseing them with livebait is something I've not found to be necessary.

Josh

I've used large dyed common shiners in a anchovy rig targeting rainbows up high and caught several large walleye

Minnows will absolutely work .....but if trolling they are a hassle .....constantly checking to make sure hooked properly

But nothing wrong with drifting ....jigging or slip bober for them

We used to do a lot of drifting with a Lindy rig and a blown up dew worm. A very fun light line way to fish for walleye.

Fishing with a slip float for walleye can definitely be productive in the right areas. A very good friend of mine tought me this technique fishing night time walleyes on the flats of the Detroit River st night as well as the drop offs of Lake St Clair years ago and I do know guys who do very well on northern lakes after sunset using the same technique. It's definitely productive at certain times but could possibly be productive in the middle of the day as well being a slow presentation

Anchovy rig trolled in front of a pizza shop used to get some action in the old days

funny you'd ask that, was asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, I used them when I was a kid (many many years ago), but catch a lot of garbage fish & always checking line to see it they are still there

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks