Off Topic Lund boats are they worth the extra

Older lunds are better than todays. Their quality control went out the window. Buddy of mine bought a 18' lund, he dropped by to show me so many mistakes, I was shocked to see one place on the back where the ladder goes under a cover all but 1 screw never went into the hinge.:mad:o_O their was a few others spots he wasn't happy about
With the price you pay you should have options. They took out the big livewell and put a big rod locker down the middle of the boat, like how many rod lockers do you need. Had a little livewell you could only put in a couple small bass. Should give you options.

It’s a bit of a personal thing. Some like Ford. Some like Chevy. Others like Dodge. They are all great until they aren’t great any more. Boats are no different in my opinion. I own an ‘04 20’ Alaskan tiller with a 75 Yamaha. I gave it a complete overhaul two years ago. No complaints about the boat, the layout or anything else. It works well for what I use it for (moose hunt and diver hunting)
I also own a 2011 20’ Sport Angler that I use for fishing. I intentionally sought the boat out and was lucky enough to find a barely used one on consignment at a Lund dealer. The layout appealed to me with a forward set windshield and inward facing passenger seats it leaves a good amount of room for fishing. It is powered with a 175 Verado and a 15 pro kicker. I have not been impressed with the Mercury products for a number of reasons but I have always been partial to Yamaha so that could be causing part of my discontent. The Sport Angler would benefit from some additional in floor storage in my opinion but I could also bring less gear. Both are excellent platforms for what I use them for. Both trailer well. Both are easy to own from a maintenance perspective. I quite like the riveted airplane comment above. I have seen more than one welded boat with cracked welds and intentionally steered away from that construction type for my application (Lake Erie primarily).

Love my 2009 Lund pro v 2075 526B79BE-61E1-45AB-A4B8-279C46BE1606.jpegwith the 250 mercury verado
Bought it used in 2012 and can still sell it for close to what I paid for it then

My riveted 2006 G3 Deep V is still like new and doesn't leak. Great boat and I would buy another one.

Not sure how new ones are priced though?

I own a Lund and previously had a Starcraft. Both are quality boats but we like the Lund better. I'll add this to the mix: Brunswick, which owns Mercury, also owns Lund, Crestliner and Princecraft. We shopped new so we could see what was out there before buying the Lund last year with the intention of buying used. There wasn't as much difference in the price of new between the brands as I thought there would be.

After researching numerous aluminum boats, I purchased my first boat a used 1995 1850 Lund Grand Sport Tyee back in 1999. Still have it to this day.

Had a gentleman stroll up on me in the Burwell parking lot as I was putting the cover on and his comment was, so how was your maiden voyage with your new boat? I proceeded to tell him that it was my seventh season with it and watched his jaw darn near hit the ground. He said really? Wow you must take good care of your stuff then. Was a proud moment for me that someone actually noticed. She gets washed inside and out after every outing. The wife and boy's know the true meaning of all hands on deck. Lol.

Had a gentleman stroll up on me in the Burwell parking lot as I was putting the cover on and his comment was, so how was your maiden voyage with your new boat? I proceeded to tell him that it was my seventh season with it and watched his jaw darn near hit the ground. He said really? Wow you must take good care of your stuff then. Was a proud moment for me that someone actually noticed. She gets washed inside and out after every outing. The wife and boy's know the true meaning of all hands on deck. Lol.
Sharp looking unit for sure. It does look well taken care of and that defiantly helps down the line.

i have owned 2 lunds both 20 foot Alaskans as you know,we pound on this boat big time will never own a Lind again big time rivet problems im patching mine now leaking so bad can’t leave in water keel problems repair more than boat is worth. I’m looking at kingfisher but price is an issue.

i have owned 2 lunds both 20 foot Alaskans as you know,we pound on this boat big time will never own a Lind again big time rivet problems im patching mine now leaking so bad can’t leave in water keel problems repair more than boat is worth. I’m looking at kingfisher but price is an issue.
Those kingfishers are defiantly nice boats but yes for a minion like me the price tag is steep.

I should say with my 05 Alaskan despite the wood issues the boat was a tank. It got slammed on Erie in that big water slop and never leaked a drop or loosened a rivet. It was more the hull design itself that didn’t lend itself all that well to Great Lakes water. If I was going to stick mostly to LSC, SC River, the Detroit, it would have been the boat

I hope the Lund name holds up with quality and fit and finish. I have had two Princecrafts in the past and they were great. One was a early 90s 19' with a 120 Evenrude. Under powered for that size. Just sold my 2012 182 sport Princecraft with 150. Purchased a Lund at the T.O. boat show. Like others have said... Like trucks, its a personal preference. I hope its worth the extra as I have always admired the Lund product line. The comment about Max HP or closest to max as possible comment I will agree with. Nothing worse than having your buddies at 200 lbs plus and gear with a full tank of fuel and getting on plane with the package min HP offered. Hope to be on the water breaking the motors in next week. Good luck finding what you want.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks