Off Topic Lund boats are they worth the extra

I found an older Lund Pro V and I can sell it for more than I paid for it 4 years later so that is a big +. Value certainly isn’t going down on it. The thing handles fantastic as well.
The thing is very universal and great for multi species fishing. Its setup with riggers and in 5 min I can geared up and fishing largemouth in the shallows of long point.
Previously I had a Starcraft/Starweld welded boat and the thing developed a 16” crack right along the base of the transom. On my way back in it was rough and I knew something was wrong! Sketchy to say the least..... was lucky there was no wait at the ramp when I got back. I would never go welded again based on that and what some tournament guys have said to me. A lost rivet can be easily fixed (if needed)

Last edited:
I previously owned a Lowe Boat and now a Lund owner. Just like everything else they all have there good and there bad and you'll find that with anything you buy. The Lowe was far more reasonably prices but I sold it to step up to a bigger boat and got a great deal on the lund.

My only complaint so far about the lund is every storage compartment on the floor are always damp and anything I store in them is either wet, moldy or rusty. So I've had to buy storage containers for everything or waterproof bags to keep that problem from annoying me. I can honestly say in all my time with the Lowe my compartments and gear always remained dry.

Like I said if you dig hard enough you'll find both good and bad opinions on any boat. Shop wisely and within your budget and you'll be happy if you keep fresh oil in the motor and and lube in the lower unit.

My only advice is if you can afford it max the HP to the boat as they all tend to run better when maxed out even if not at full speed all the time.

Princecraft for me great solid deep boat, next one most likely glass love the warrior or skeeter but not the price tag.

I heard a guy once say there is a reason they still rivet airplanes, and as long as aircraft engineers continue to do so instead of solid welding them, he will continue to buy riveted boats, I believe because they have some flex? Made sense to me

Amen! I agree on that. The only time mine gets wet is from above, either a fish or its raining out. There are many fantastic boats on the market today, pick your poison.

Lund is owned by Mercury (same parent companies) so it's tough to find anything newer that is powered with anything other than Merc's. May not be an issue or considerations, but if you like a different outboard options then you may want to look to other brands. I have the Alumacraft Trophy 185 and find it is super dry and heavy duty even in very rough seas. Tye big beam and high freeboard helps with stability over many of the lighter weight 18' brands.

Yes abistivly I've had 3. I can't speak to any newer than 2009 But the 3 I've had were good. Better hard ware, better wiring and better resale. Buddies Legend with in 3 years the seats were stuck in place and the hinges barley functioned and he had wiring issues. My lund was 4 years older no problems add gas and fish.
Stepped up to a Hewescraft but if I went smaller again it would be a lund
Pay once cry once.
Yep sometimes you pay for the name cause the name means something.

I own a Lund 1625 Fury XL bought it new in 2014. 60HP 4 stroke with 6hp kicker. We often fish out of Burwell Long Point area. It's a matter of preference which boat you chose, closest dealer was Chatham. There's only 2 of us that fish in the boat 3 is ok, would love a bigger boat however the price was hard to justify. Spent over 40k. Those of you who fish Burwell and reaching Hastings going back and forth trolling all day.. I can be out all day and spend 15 bucks in gas (25 to fill, the gas tank can be taken out). It's the most efficient setup I've heard of. Lake Erie gets pretty choppy and some days I've pushed the window and this boat can handle it, won't sink lol. Watch the safety video where they have drilled dozens of 3" holes in the hule and still motor back to the dock. I feel safe. The boat trailer has a swing hitch making the overall length shortIMG_2228.JPG; I store the boat year round indoors in my garage easy peasy.

Lund is owned by Mercury (same parent companies) so it's tough to find anything newer that is powered with anything other than Merc's. May not be an issue or considerations, but if you like a different outboard options then you may want to look to other brands. I have the Alumacraft Trophy 185 and find it is super dry and heavy duty even in very rough seas. Tye big beam and high freeboard helps with stability over many of the lighter weight 18' brands.
Just purchased a Lund package with the Etec with no problems as long as they sell the brands of other motors where you buy the boat I believe the transoms are now made from composite now also I bought Lund for resale value made themselves a good name years ago but many good boats out there just as good anymore

I have a 2018 alumacraft 175 with 115 etec only had it 1 year but so far so good nice n dry

Hi Brad, I've owned a Lund Tyee since 2011 and have also owned StarCraft and Princecraft boats over the years. Yes, Lund boats are decent and I rate my Lund a little higher than the others but the reality is that you are paying for the advantages. On the plus side my Lund still does not leak. On the minus side none of the instruments work properly anymore and that was never an issue with the other brands. If you are shopping used boats there is a huge advantage with Lund because you are likely to find one equipped the way you want. There are lots of Lunds to choose from and that is a problem with every other make.

Just my 2 cents
Paying for the name
Guy at the seminar is likely sponsored or pro staffed
You ask 100 fisherman you’ll get 99 different responses
everybody has different styles and wants and budgets
I’m a glass guy now never go back
If I did I’d have a welded Hull ( 1 boat leaked rivets and 1 didn’t )

You are right, he was sponsored by Alumicraft.

Hey @Quacker_Smacker , I have a Legend Xcalibur 18 and it is a very nice boat, although many consider it to be less fancy than than others such as Lund. The one thing I can say about Lunds is that a comparable Lund rides better on waves than Legend but again... I am not going out if waves are 1+ ft and wind is 15+ km/h.

Strictly from the $$$ point of view... if you are buying a boat you like (most important), and you will use it for let's say 5 years and then sell, always worth looking at the numbers, i.e. see roughly how much $$$ the boat will lose through the years. This does help guiding some decisions...

Last edited:
It’s a bit of a personal thing. Some like Ford. Some like Chevy. Others like Dodge. They are all great until they aren’t great any more. Boats are no different in my opinion. I own an ‘04 20’ Alaskan tiller with a 75 Yamaha. I gave it a complete overhaul two years ago. No complaints about the boat, the layout or anything else. It works well for what I use it for (moose hunt and diver hunting)
I also own a 2011 20’ Sport Angler that I use for fishing. I intentionally sought the boat out and was lucky enough to find a barely used one on consignment at a Lund dealer. The layout appealed to me with a forward set windshield and inward facing passenger seats it leaves a good amount of room for fishing. It is powered with a 175 Verado and a 15 pro kicker. I have not been impressed with the Mercury products for a number of reasons but I have always been partial to Yamaha so that could be causing part of my discontent and repowering isn’t out of the question for me yet. I’ll see how this season goes. The Sport Angler would benefit from some additional in floor storage in my opinion but I could also bring less gear. Both are excellent platforms for what I use them for. Both trailer well. Both are easy to own from a maintenance perspective. I quite like the riveted airplane comment above. I have seen more than one welded boat with cracked welds and intentionally steered away from that construction type for my application (Lake Erie primarily). I have owned quite a few different glass boats in the past. 23’ Proline, 30’ Pursuit (Tiara), 28’ Baha Cruiser. They all had their advantages and disadvantages. It I wouldn’t trade my Lund for any one of them. Well...maybe the Pursuit. It was a tank. Best made boat I have ever seen. But it weighed 8600lbs dry. Not a fair comparison. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or want any more info. ??

It’s a bit of a personal thing. Some like Ford. Some like Chevy. Others like Dodge. They are all great until they aren’t great any more. Boats are no different in my opinion. I own an ‘04 20’ Alaskan tiller with a 75 Yamaha. I gave it a complete overhaul two years ago. No complaints about the boat, the layout or anything else. It works well for what I use it for (moose hunt and diver hunting)
I also own a 2011 20’ Sport Angler that I use for fishing. I intentionally sought the boat out and was lucky enough to find a barely used one on consignment at a Lund dealer. The layout appealed to me with a forward set windshield and inward facing passenger seats it leaves a good amount of room for fishing. It is powered with a 175 Verado and a 15 pro kicker. I have not been impressed with the Mercury products for a number of reasons but I have always been partial to Yamaha so that could be causing part of my discontent and repowering isn’t out of the question for me yet. I’ll see how this season goes. The Sport Angler would benefit from some additional in floor storage in my opinion but I could also bring less gear. Both are excellent platforms for what I use them for. Both trailer well. Both are easy to own from a maintenance perspective. I quite like the riveted airplane comment above. I have seen more than one welded boat with cracked welds and intentionally steered away from that construction type for my application (Lake Erie primarily). I have owned quite a few different glass boats in the past. 23’ Proline, 30’ Pursuit (Tiara), 28’ Baha Cruiser. They all had their advantages and disadvantages. It I wouldn’t trade my Lund for any one of them. Well...maybe the Pursuit. It was a tank. Best made boat I have ever seen. But it weighed 8600lbs dry. Not a fair comparison. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or want any more info. ??
Well said. I have a sport angler as well and I really enjoy it. Ford/Chevy/dodge whatever u want, drive it.
I have owned a Crestliner and now a Lund. The lund is a dream to fish out of comparatively speaking for its size but I must say that my Crestliner took a better wave. But again I pick my days when I go out. Any metal once welded has deteriorated mechanical strength and over time can be susceptible to cracking. Rivets are not susceptible to the problems Welded vessels have but can sometimes leak....

to each their own, enjoy what u drive and what u can/can’t afford.

be safe out there it sure is nice to see launches opening ip

cheers

herefishyfishy

Thanks for all the info guys. I have solidarity beliefs with the riveted vs welded opinions. I have seen first hand the hp issues and I agree it will be close to of not maxed in my opinion as it is nice to have a little extra go some times.
It’s nice to hear about the comparisons as well. Ie the storage lockers being damp is one big one tho I am one who always keeps things opens up and aired out when not in use.
Then their is the motor debate. Mercury Yamaha evinrude. My motor now is a 50 2 stroke which like your typical merc always needs to be choked to start but runs great once it starts. I have had a few small evinrudes which were great little motors started first pull once warm and ran all day on a sniff. Which my 50 doesn’t burn much either. All though I will be buying used most likely I am not stuck on motor brand as much as size.
Thanks for everyone’s in put as it is much appreciated.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks