LPB may 4th

Foulhooker

Fished the inner bay this morning channel was full of weeds managed two pike. Figured move to cleaner water since the rods loaded up fast with Celery and try and hide from the east wind. Set up at pottahawk and trolled in-between pottahawk and thoroughfare bay me and my partner managed about 40- 50 pike and 20 small mouth. Biggest pike being 38 inches and just over ten pounds, largest bass (my new personal record) was 21" didn't weigh the fish released it to back quickly kept 5 big pike to eat with ended up filling a large freezer bag and a half and called it a morning. Fished from 6am-11 Everything was on crank baits flat lining off of Amish outfitter planer boards. Water was 55f degrees semi stained all five of the large pike had perch in there stomachs one fish had a 10 inch jumbo in it. Always blows my mind when I look in there mouth and think that the last thing a perch sees lol 😆. Been fishing the bay for pike since first week of April for pike and the unintentional smb 🤫Def marked the most amount of small mouth and pike in the bay today the channel was just loaded same with millionaires.

Attachments

• 20210504_083545.jpg
    20210504_083545.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 20210504_093914.jpg
    20210504_093914.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 20210504_094344.jpg
    20210504_094344.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210504_073432.jpg
    20210504_073432.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210504_082836.jpg
    20210504_082836.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210504_131702.jpg
    20210504_131702.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210504_073607.jpg
    20210504_073607.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 244
Great report Foulhooker looks like you had a good day . I also like pike, catching and especially eating , too bad they're such a pain to clean. How do you deal with all that #@$%& slime ?

Great report Foulhooker looks like you had a good day . I also like pike, catching and especially eating , too bad they're such a pain to clean. How do you deal with all that #@$%& slime ?
Usually rise em down good with a hose I've actually power washed a pike before trying to deslime..... didn't really do much more than the hose. I like to soak the meat rinse it soak it rinse it soak it then salt water sit for few hrs. Def worth taking the time to make sure u get all that nasty slime off the meat

Nice day out for you and the chocolate. Thanks for sharing.

Usually rise em down good with a hose I've actually power washed a pike before trying to deslime..... didn't really do much more than the hose. I like to soak the meat rinse it soak it rinse it soak it then salt water sit for few hrs. Def worth taking the time to make sure u get all that nasty slime off the meat
Thanks for the response , you're definately right about the rinse rinse rinse . Enjoy your fish fry!

Last couple of Pike I fileted, I put some newspaper on the cutting board. seemed to absorb some of the slime. Seems like that's about the best use I can find for most newspapers these days, that and fire starter.

too bad they're such a pain to clean. How do you deal with all that #@$%& slime ?
I think this is the video I posted before about how to clean a pike with the 5 fillet method. I mentioned in that other post what one of the guys my dad used to work with taught me about getting them to be less slimy when you're cleaning them which was wrapping them and putting them in the fridge for a few hours before I cleaned them, if not over night, and it worked. I don't target them anymore but IF I were to catch one and felt like keeping it for a meal, this is what I'd be doing when I cleaned it. Fridge for a while to cut down the slime, then this method of cleaning.

Good job, lucky you found somewhere to launch
My thoughts exactly @Derkd9 lucky @Foulhooker (& congratulations on your catch),that you found somewhere to launch. 👍🙂 If my 9.9 hp outboard kicker motor was fixed right now,(next week it will be fixed),I be even more upset,(likely like everyone else right now),to not being able to launch my boat right now anywhere on long point bay!! On a good note,there are going to be plenty of perch & pike very hungry out on the bay,once the boat ramp’s ever do become open again around long point bay. Eventually,tight lines & Fish ON!! again to All!! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

I think this is the video I posted before about how to clean a pike with the 5 fillet method. I mentioned in that other post what one of the guys my dad used to work with taught me about getting them to be less slimy when you're cleaning them which was wrapping them and putting them in the fridge for a few hours before I cleaned them, if not over night, and it worked. I don't target them anymore but IF I were to catch one and felt like keeping it for a meal, this is what I'd be doing when I cleaned it. Fridge for a while to cut down the slime, then this method of cleaning.
Thanks again @Trevor M for sharing this & posting this video again. 👍👍🙂 I love eating pike during the ice fishing season & this time of the year as well,while the water is still cold. I will keep your pike filleting video on file,for I am always looking at the easiest & fastest way to filet a pike. Thanks again @Trevor M for sharing & all the best & pike on to all that love eating pike. 🐟😋😉👍🙂

Thanks Trevor M that is an excellent video , I have seen other videos from Thundermist and they always informative . Unfortunately She Who Must Be Obeyed vetoed the whole pike in the fridge portion of the tip. So I will continue with the rinse @#$%& rinse @#$%& rinse method I currently use.

Thanks Trevor M that is an excellent video , I have seen other videos from Thundermist and they always informative . Unfortunately She Who Must Be Obeyed vetoed the whole pike in the fridge portion of the tip. So I will continue with the rinse @#$%& rinse @#$%& rinse method I currently use.
My wife won't let me put any fish in the fridge or the freezer either unless it's already been cleaned. Thankfully, because I don't target pike anymore, I don't catch them (only 1 since I left the NWT in 2003) and that was 2 years ago off the pier in Pt Bruce. I swore at it and threw it back, so that hasn't been a problem. But IF I were to catch one and decided to keep it, the alternative to the fridge is to put lots of ice on it in the cooler both on the trip home, and then again when you get there and leave it for a while under the ice and in the ice water. It'll still have some slime, but not as much as it would if you cleaned it right away.

Guides up at Marten River taught me to fillet Pike like a Walleye and then make two angled cuts to get the Y bones out. When you take the skin off the bones fall out. I fondly remember they called it the Mother-in-Law cut.........lol

The way I deal with the pike slime is by using a stainless steel mesh butcher's glove.
images.jpg
The mesh allows you to get a firm grip on the fish, making it so much easier while fileting. It also acts like a scrub brush to easily wipe the slime off the fish and the cutting board. The glove also cleans easily with some warm soapy water. I actually use the glove when cleaning any type of catch.

Dan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks