Long Point Pike Help

dawson29

Hi ya'll. I wanted to start this thread early to give some time for different tips and techniques to be added. Last year a buddy and I fished the Sandboy Marina pike tournament in May. It was a our very first one and we knew we would have some trouble landing some pike throughout the day but I had no idea we would get absolutely skunked totally. We fished everywhere we thought possible and even though we nailed more bass than we could count we didn't see any pike landed that day. What were we missing? What techniques do people do differently? Just trying to stay competitive this year

Hi ya'll. I wanted to start this thread early to give some time for different tips and techniques to be added. Last year a buddy and I fished the Sandboy Marina pike tournament in May. It was a our very first one and we knew we would have some trouble landing some pike throughout the day but I had no idea we would get absolutely skunked totally. We fished everywhere we thought possible and even though we nailed more bass than we could count we didn't see any pike landed that day. What were we missing? What techniques do people do differently? Just trying to stay competitive this year
Story of my life, IDK if pike down here spawn differently than far north and targeting them in the shallows after ice out because I dont get much luck trying that down here. As far as I know @Three Bouys is mainly a trolling guy and he does well. Maybe he could shed some light for us losers.

I got a nice maybe 26" or so pike last weekend on big creek. I was just using a little cleo 2/5 oz. Last spring i got a bunch one day just using a jig head with a white salamander plastic. They pretty much will take anything in the shallows. The giys t

Sorry big thumbs on a small phone lol.
Small ones in the shallows. The guys that troll the bar could help you better for the big ones.

By the may the bigger pike have moved from the extreme shallows and started to fall into the post spawn stage . Some of bigger ones will exit for deeper water and some will take up cover on structure ( emerging weed beds) others will simply roam. Although I am not a troller, I have found it work well to cover water . As far as baits goes we all have our favorites but I had 3 large pike last year taken on the same bait so I've decided it's the best!!!

If your catching tons of Bass in May then your too shallow/warm for Pike. Pike are spawning in March and most decent ones are long gone from the shallows come may.

Josh

To everyone who pm'ed me with their input on fishing the bay thank you. This forum is awesome for this sort of thing. Cheers to you all

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks