Lobster Question

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
haven't done this a lot, is it better to boil or steam whole lobsters? Any preferences? I'm trying to remember and I think 12-15 minuets then check tail temp with a probe.

Lots of salt in the water; (ideally seawater, but that's hard to source here), put about 2 inches in the lidded pan, and when the small legs pull off easily, they are done. This is how I was taught by my sister in law from PEI.

We boil two 1.5 lb chicks every Valentine’s Day. I do whatever the google guy says. Never rubberized them. Lotsa butter and lotsa garlic.

It's a personal preference really. Some prefer to steam. Some prefer to boil.

General rule of thumb for Lobster when boiling.......Salt the water, bring to a boil, put the lobster in head first. Cook for 7-10 minutes for the first pound, 2-3 minutes for each additional pound.

Generally when steaming......10 minutes per pound.

Been a long time since I worked in a restaurant where we served lobster, but on average we were boiling them for 12-15 minutes at most depending on the weight of the lobster the customer chose. (Yeah we had a tank with both crabs and lobster and the customer got to choose which one they wanted)

The other thing to do is to immediately put the cooked lobster into an ice water bath as soon as it's out of the pot to slow/stop the cooking process. Remember, it WILL continue to cook if you don't and that is generally what leads to the "rubbery" texture you hear of.

Lots of salt in the water; (ideally seawater, but that's hard to source here), put about 2 inches in the lidded pan, and when the small legs pull off easily, they are done. This is how I was taught by my sister in law from PEI.
so you're saying to steam them?

We've been vacationing in Maine for 25 years and eat a lot of lobster when we're there.
Wife likes softshells, I like hardshells. 1.5-2lb seem the best eating.
We always boil..8 min for softshell, 10 mins for hardshell then on ice.
We've also done lobster boils..corn, onions, potatoes, lobsters, mussels...where the lobsters are more steamed than boiled.
Both ways work well!!

so if I'm doing two 1.5 pounders, the cook time is for both or each? Silly question but if I do two at a time I don't "double" the cook time do I? We're going to St Thomas to pick up a few today.

It's almost better checking cooking instructions on Stomps rather than going to the internet, all recipes are tested and basically guaranteed results. Thanks to everyone for all your cooking help !!!

so if I'm doing two 1.5 pounders, the cook time is for both or each? Silly question but if I do two at a time I don't "double" the cook time do I? We're going to St Thomas to pick up a few today.

It's almost better checking cooking instructions on Stomps rather than going to the internet, all recipes are tested and basically guaranteed results. Thanks to everyone for all your cooking help !!!
Do not double the cook time

Lobster is my absolute favourite
I recently developed a shell fish allergy
New years I ate shrimp and broke out in hives
Then a couple months ago I ate crab and broke out in hives

I still have to test lobster but Slancy wants me to go see the doctor and maybe get an epi pen
It’s devastating to me as it’s tradition for slancy and I to cook and eat lobster on our birthdays or go to Red Lobster

I'm so sorry to hear that Derek, to be denied the worlds best foodstuff must be a difficult burden to bear.

I'm so sorry to hear that Derek, to be denied the worlds best foodstuff must be a difficult burden to bear.
I said screw it getting hives and a bit itchy is worth it… then I was reminded that next time my throat could close up and I could die so I’m kinda on the fence whether it’s worth it or not 😅

I still have to test lobster but Slancy wants me to go see the doctor and maybe get an epi pen
It’s devastating to me as it’s tradition for slancy and I to cook and eat lobster on our birthdays or go to Red Lobster
I had the same thing happen with beer when i was working at bravo in the falls as a cook we were givin a staff beer at the end of the night from the drafts and i was trying a few diffrent beers it took a month for me to find out that i was alergic to a 9% beer everytime i had it i would start sneezing insane watery eyes and nose plug solid and driping i thought it was pollen in the air as i drove past the big cenatary on hwy 20 untill my buddy started to notice it was only after drinking that one kind of beer not sure if the seasonal allerges is what is behind it or not but damn it was good beer plus the 9% part

I had the same thing happen with beer when i was working at bravo in the falls as a cook we were givin a staff beer at the end of the night from the drafts and i was trying a few diffrent beers it took a month for me to find out that i was alergic to a 9% beer everytime i had it i would start sneezing insane watery eyes and nose plug solid and driping i thought it was pollen in the air as i drove past the big cenatary on hwy 20 untill my buddy started to notice it was only after drinking that one kind of beer not sure if the seasonal allerges is what is behind it or not but damn it was good beer plus the 9% part
Both times my reactions came about 1-2 hours after I ate I wasn’t sure until after the pile of crab I ate a couple months ago
Now I know! And it’s very very sad

If you still want to test your allergy using lobster just prepare it as always and then go and sit in the emerg parking lot to eat it. I had a
reaction years ago but I'm able to eat lobster, and mussels and shrimp if everything is cooked.

tonights dinner guests......

1685728606979.png

1685728616040.png

2 x approx 1.5 pounds. They even weigh the box before putting the lobster in it and then zero out the weight of the box. Steelhead in St Thomas.

That's a bummer.

If it would make you feel better, there is a pair of crocs for that!!!
lob crocs.JPG
You could wear these at Red Lobster while watching Slancy mow down bug after bug while you eat their delicious chicken strips. LOL

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks