Lake Trout. Just curious.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

It's been 18+ years since I had an opportunity to catch a laker. (not since I left the NWT.) Was thinking maybe once this is all over, I might try to target something other than just walleye and perch just for a change (providing it's not too far of a drive,) especially if the pier doesn't reopen at the same time the marinas and ramps do for those of you with boats.

As I understand it, a lot of people in these parts don't really target them, and from what I have read through other posts over the past couple years on here, I've learned that if I had a boat, which I don't, but if I did, I might be able to catch one somewhere off Long Point, maybe off Kettle Point in Lake Huron, and that they're also in Lake Simcoe.

So my question is, given I can't bush wack, nor stand on a river bank, is there anywhere that I might be able to go without a boat and have a decent chance of maybe catching one from shore without having to bush wack or stand on a river bank or is it not possible or already too late in the year for that to be a possibility?

If it's not possible or it's already too late, I'll just forget about it.

I think you are out of luck @Trevor M for shore fishing Lakers down here. I'm not the fisherman many on here are, but I'm only aware of boat or ice Lakers in southern Ontario.

If I had my boat home and this health situation didn't exist, I'd be up working the north end of Lake of Bays.

Lots pulled out of Nanticoke during the Summer according to posts on here.

I think you are out of luck @Trevor M for shore fishing Lakers down here. I'm not the fisherman many on here are, but I'm only aware of boat or ice Lakers in southern Ontario.

If I had my boat home and this health situation didn't exist, I'd be up working the north end of Lake of Bays.

Lots pulled out of Nanticoke during the Summer according to posts on here.

Ok, that's kind of what I thought too. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what others had to say. Not in any hurry anyways. Not like I can go sit on the pier yet. Maybe if we're lucky by the long weekend.

Hijack my own thread for a second. For the past 6 years we've had doves make a nest up under our awning. This is the second of the first two baby doves to leave the nest this year. He/she seems to REALLY like my wife. He/she is sitting on her shoulder :D

As I've said before. Despite everything happening to us with Covid 19, life goes on.

Attachments

• 2020 baby dove on shoulder (4).jpg
    2020 baby dove on shoulder (4).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 2020 baby dove on shoulder (2).jpg
    2020 baby dove on shoulder (2).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 51
Never caught a laker from shore.
Lots icefishing on many lakes from Lake Simcoe and north from there.
From deep water trolling you can add Lake Huron and Lake Ontario.
I'm quite sure that's not the only places they can be caught.
Never fished Lake Superior.
Heard of the odd one from Lake Erie but they are quite rare there.

Never caught a laker from shore.
Lots icefishing on many lakes from Lake Simcoe and north from there.
From deep water trolling you can add Lake Huron and Lake Ontario.
I'm quite sure that's not the only places they can be caught.
Never fished Lake Superior.
Heard of the odd one from Lake Erie but they are quite rare there.

Thanks for the info. :)

They sometimes catch Laker or 2 early in the Spring off the pier in Kincardine.

We where out in the boat and got this 3 man limit for the smoker last summer.

EB4iibVl.jpg

Right full of Gobies.

@Trevor M you could always try to become a buddy with Fish TV and go with them on their next trip to the Mirage River in Quebec. Sorry, not close to home.

If I remember correctly, they did an impromptu fishing show and caught tons of Speckles and some Lake Trout standing on shore and in the shallows of that river and surrounding area creeks.

@Trevor M you could always try to become a buddy with Fish TV and go with them on their next trip to the Mirage River in Quebec. Sorry, not close to home.

If I remember correctly, they did an impromptu fishing show and caught tons of Speckles and some Lake Trout standing on shore and in the shallows of that river and surrounding area creeks.

No that's ok. Too far to go, and my French, while ok, (meaning I can speak enough to get by) is rusty. I'll just stick with what I can get, when I can get out to get it. Today, since I can't go fishin yet, that means I'll just have to settle for cleaning the house, cutting the lawn, doing the laundry and the dishes, and then making supper later. BUT before I do all that, once I see my wife off to work in about 10 minutes, I'm going back to bed for a little while.

SHHHHHHH, she doesn't know that's what I'm gonna do and I'll still get all that other stuff done before she gets home, including having the laundry folded and put away ;)

My mistake. Just before she left, told me I didn't look awake enough to do anything yet and then she asked what time I intended to get up again and do all this stuff I have to do today. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally Lake trout are in the deeper parts of wàter column

Yeah I've always known they prefer the deeper colder water. In the NWT that was never an issue. The water was always deep and cold ;) but for 2 lakes very close to Yellowknife. Jackfish Lake and Long Lake. Neither was very deep, (sorry couldn't tell you how deep they are) Jackfish Lake is where the city power plant is so there was one spot by the plant that never froze, lots of big pike in there, and Long Lake which is across from the airport which is where a territorial campground is (and the lake was shallow enough to be warm enough to swim in by July and considering the ice on the bigger deeper lakes isn't totally gone until late June, well you get the picture) Pike and supposedly walleye in there, but I never caught a thing out of that lake, then again, I rarely fished it. Didn't wanna pay to get in to try.

whitby peer when the weather is cold and a north wind for a day or 2. 2 minnows and a bobher can't be beat. Late fall to winter nice mix of shakers with some lunkers. Lakers bows and salmon. Did that back in the 80's

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks