Fishing Report Lake Ontario June 19

Puddle Jumper

Decided to try something different today
launched at Bronte, (not much experience there) shortly after 6 am. Went east out of harbour too 90' (barely got on plan)
I set 2 dipsy's #3 90 & 120' shallow had black spoon with yellow dots & back other had gold ripplin redfin. I barely started putting leadcore in (1 colour) and the ripplin redfin got hit. (nice weight good fight got it to the net & my leader from dipsy snapped (forgott to check for nicks ) the fish 6-8lb ?? rainbow or coho spit the hook and my friend was able to net my lure) no sooner got that rod back in the water , the other dipsy went off with a small pink salmon. after that lost a big, big fish 15lb ++ at back of the boat...snapped 20lb power pro, taking my dipsy with it. (time to cut 20' of line off all my rods and check nots and leaders) can't afford too loose fish too equipment failure (guessing my lines got nicked yesterday with whitebass...friend kept reelling dipsy's into the rod tips)

Ended the day (12:30) 9/11....... 1 rainbow, 1 coho, rest 1/2 -2 lb pink salmon

most fish caught 100-115 fow @ 2.7 -3.3 mph (gps) dipsy # 3 90-100' down with black/yellow spoon
caught 3 on rigger 40-48' down 40' lead Lead core didn't get a bump.

Last year i was calling them atlantic's.....but everyone at the harbour and an mnr bioligist told me they are pinks.....most likely stocked on the US side

So until someone proves me wrong...im calling them pinks.....definately different than the coho we caught.....And I spent allot of years working on rainbow and chinnook farms , so I am guessing they are pinks or Atlantics...ive never seen either

never know...i honestly cant idea them.....the supper forked tail is what throws me off....its got that real deep V tail ...like a lake trout

the chinnooks on the salmon farm in BC, that i worked at, didnt have that kind of tail

Pinks are definitely a VERY rare catch on Lake O. And there are no pinks stocked anywhere in the great lakes by either Canada or the US. I'd be quite willing to bet they were small Chinook. Those juveniles do exhibit a deeper fork than adults.

Might be a good idea to brush up on your ID skills if your harvesting any fish;) Wouldn't want to mistakenly kill an Atlantic and get busted!

Josh

Atlantis are legal to catch in Lake Ontario and yes the salmon that you are catching are probably chinnook

Definitely no pinks in Lake Ontario... Atlantic Salmon can be kept if 25" limit of one...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks