Lake Erie Chinook

denturecrafter

SO MY SON CAUGHT A KING ON SATURDAY OUT OF ERIEAU AND WE WONDER HOW COMMON OR RARE A CATCH IT MIGHT BE.. WHADDAYA THINK ABOUT CHINOOK SALMON IN LAKE ERIE?

Attachments

• des chinook.jpeg
    des chinook.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 428
Not common but not rare.have boated a few over the years.They still run in our local streams Kettle,Catfish Big creek,Otter just in very small numbers.Probably a Lake Huron drop down looking for food.

As mentioned in the other thread, thats not a Chinook. Its 100% Coho. Both exist in the lake in relatively low numbers. A few tribs do have suitable spawning habitat and small runs of Pink, Chinook and Cohos. Despite no stocking of these fish in many years they continue to successfully reproduce on their own.

Seems to be a particularly good year for Coho this year. I've seen some really impressive #'s of them during there fall runs in the tribs the past few years too, they're doing well! And always a welcome suprise :)

Josh

Last edited:
That's a big coho!!! Very nice... Like others said... Likely wild or visiting from Huron... They also could be from US as they do stock a small amount...

ya that coho is a beauty..great job

The Michigan DNR reintroduced coho salmon in Lake Huron and they will be ready to catch this season, in 2020.

The big word states side is long live the coho with some more help with there stocking program

No Coho or Chinook are stocked on Erie and havent been for almost 30yrs to my knowledge. Current Salmonid stocking consists of Lake trout, Browns and Rainbows. Yes, theres also a chance some of the 100k Coho planted last year (and again this year) in Port Sanilac and Alpena could be showing up as well. I cant find any info on whether or not those fish were clipped or not, I would assume they would be to guage stocking success.

Josh

I was doing a little coho stocking research states side ever since that big school of cohos appeared off goderich 2 days before I made a mid summer fishin trip there and was too late..goderich local fishermen wondered that day where that big school of cohos come from..lol
interesting lake michigan teenage cohos were studied tracked and found swimming in lake huron...and the study was said they like to wander..

the stocked cohos in huron were to reach catchable size this 2020 season 5 to 6 lbs..
I think thats pretty good..there not a cheap fish to stock according to Lake Michigan fisheries a stocked coho to maturity at $50 U.S. each..

We’ve been catching loads of good size cohos on Huron this season. I’ve noticed over the years that a lot of the Michigan stocked fish are coming across and up the Huron shoreline. We’ve even caught walleye with lip tags that were stocked on Saginaw bay. Keep up the good work DNR! And yet, our MNR wants to keep dumping millions of lake trout 🤦‍♂️ 753449CA-8187-41B6-9335-52B80EAE2EFE.jpeg

Many of those Coho are natural fish, theres a few tribs on both the Canadian and US side that pump out a pile of wild Coho, the Sauble in particular....Coho numbers have been on the upswing in Huron for several years now, spring fishing for little 1-2lbers near the river mouths can be awesome. And Its not unusual for Coho to outnumber Steelies some trips. I've also had days on Erie where we've hooked into double digit Coho in the fall.

JJosh

That so-called chinook sure looks like a chinook look at the tail and it has all its scales

hey Buccaneer did you call in and get your $100 U.S. for that tagged pic..

I have to say thanks again to our american neighbours for doing the lions share of there creative stocking efforts on erie & huron..

I am planning on a huron trip or 2 myself..

absolutely theres wild fish..ya I was sure you were going to post a erie coho chasing them chromers Josh..
I had to look up the thousands of rainbows stocked in erie lately for the classic skamania..less then 1%....I thought I caught had one that I released off Glasgow a few weeks ago..almost a look alike..

There was and still is a decent run of salmon in big creek. I remember catching 3 or 4 in a day before. Unclipped fish so must be reproducing..I have not caught a pink in a long while though... I walked it last October and counted a few spawning pairs in a short section.

That so-called chinook sure looks like a chinook look at the tail and it has all its scales

Doesn't look anything like a Chinook IMO....The easiest way to determine its not a Chinook in the pic is by a quick glance at the anal fin. Notice that the leading edge is as long as the trailing edge and it is basically creates a perfect triangle this is a definitive Coho trait.
Screenshot_20200729-170736_Samsung capture.jpg

This is a Chinook anal fin. Notice the short leading edge and elongated shape.
Screenshot_20200729-170820_Samsung Internet.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
i saw that black mouth and gums my mind went right to Chinook...

This is where some people seem to get confused. 'gums' means the part of the mouth that the teeth originate from. Both species have a fair bit of black in the mouth but the fish in question certainly looks to have white gums....
Screenshot_20200730-123747_Samsung Internet.jpg

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks