Off Topic Kicker

I have a new Suzuki 6 hp kicker on my Starcraft 19, It's only 55 lbs. Pretty smooth for a single cylinder but not near a smooth as a twin.

Weight is definitely a concern, not sure but the gas and battery probably weigh 100 lbs combined. then I have my 2x10lb cannonballs, big jon downriggers on a 2x6 plank, so lighter the better.

You want to get yourself a mercury/tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke. I had one on my old 16 foot lund as a kicker. It pushed me just fine and was backup to the honda 50 (never needed it for that though ;)). In an ideal world you'd get a 2 cylinder as they are much smoother. They are just too heavy for the boat you have. the 3.5 will do the job, my old boat was a 16 foot old style rebel. I ran a short shaft and it worked fine. I don't know what the back of your boat looks like though.

On my 16 footer I just spliced in a T i the main fuel line and ran a fuel line to each motor off the one line and no issues but you do have to pump the balls separately.

Too bad you couldn’t find a 2 stroke 4.5 evinrude, twin and very light weight.
They were the same block as the 7.5hp with a smaller carb in the early 80’s only weighed around 50lbs, pretty much invisible with regular maintenance. I’d almost go that route if you can put up with 2 stroke smoke- the cologne of men lol

On my 16 footer I just spliced in a T i the main fuel line and ran a fuel line to each motor off the one line and no issues but you do have to pump the balls separately.

I have my motor fuel lines off of the fuel separator.

From when I bought the boat, when running the kicker, very slowly over time the fuel lines will go dry and the kicker stalls.

Just have to remember to squeeze the bulbs once and a while.

I've had it looked into without long term success.

Oh well.

I run a 9.9 Mercury Pro Kicker 4 stroke on the back of a 24" fibre glass boat with hard top. I believe the motor weighs about 110 lbs. I can get about 7 mph wide open and I'm good with that for a back up to the main if needed. Not fast but will get me back to port. I would think a 5.0 or 7.5 hp would be lots of power and a little less weight.

About 1/3 throttle on my 2cyl 4hp Evinrude gets me 3.5mph on a 16.5' boat. Great for trolling and would work in a pinch, but I'm still not confident in it as a contingency.

You want to get yourself a mercury/tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke. I had one on my old 16 foot lund as a kicker. It pushed me just fine and was backup to the honda 50 (never needed it for that though ;)). In an ideal world you'd get a 2 cylinder as they are much smoother. They are just too heavy for the boat you have. the 3.5 will do the job, my old boat was a 16 foot old style rebel. I ran a short shaft and it worked fine. I don't know what the back of your boat looks like though.
It's around 22" so a short shaft might not work unless I mounted it to a kicker bracket.

Short lived, bought the motor before asking Fanshawe Cons. Area if I can use it on the lake, nope, have to remove my 40 hp to go on the lake, even asked if I could if I removed the prop, nope. So have this motor and don't need it. Listed on the classifieds if you're interested....lol

@StMarysDude could you not run it in a garbage pail to see how it performs? Or do you have concerns with the thrust on your boat?

@StMarysDude could you not run it in a garbage pail to see how it performs? Or do you have concerns with the thrust on your boat?
It works great, I bought it thinking I could use it at Fanshawe lake conservation area, you can’t use any bigger than a 9.9 hp on the lake. Turns out I would have to remove my 40 hp motor from my boat or they won’t let me on. Not about to do that every time I fish there so I will just sell the 5hp. So I’m sure it will push my boat just fine, I’m just not removing my 40hp to comply with their crazy rule, I even asked if taking the prop off the 40 would allow me on and they said no.

It works great, I bought it thinking I could use it at Fanshawe lake conservation area, you can’t use any bigger than a 9.9 hp on the lake. Turns out I would have to remove my 40 hp motor from my boat or they won’t let me on. Not about to do that every time I fish there so I will just sell the 5hp. So I’m sure it will push my boat just fine, I’m just not removing my 40hp to comply with their crazy rule, I even asked if taking the prop off the 40 would allow me on and they said no.
lol 😂 & sorry @StMarysDude because I am not laughing at you,but at the Fanshawe Lake conversation park for their crazy rule on removing our outboard motors above 9.9 h.p.,My one outboard motor is a 90 outboard motor & bolted to the back of my boat,and needless to say,there is no way I will be removing mine,just to fish Fanshawe lake. I have a electric motor bolted on my bow & a 9.9 hp bolted on my transom as well,but no entry allowed onto fanshawe lake!! Both,especially Wildwood Lake is fished hard and crowded with boater’s & Pittock lake is a close second. It’s sad especially for Fanshawe Lake,for it’s a great place to fish,if you know where to go on that lake. Sorry to rant & good luck in selling your 5 hp outboard motor. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

28$ to fish crappy green lakes and they call you a lair if you say you're just using your electric. When I first started going you could buy 1 pass good for all 3 Pittoc ' Wildwood and Fanshaw . Now each lake is different and nobody will say who came up the can't have a bigger motor that you won't use. These lakes were supposed to be for the public not some random middle manger to power trip on! Oh and all the cottagers on Fanshaw have 40s on their pontoons. I remember going to see the drag boats there. I guess some politicians idiot cousin needed a job and now he gets to make the rules.

lol 😂 & sorry @StMarysDude because I am not laughing at you,but at the Fanshawe Lake conversation park for their crazy rule on removing our outboard motors above 9.9 h.p.,My one outboard motor is a 90 outboard motor & bolted to the back of my boat,and needless to say,there is no way I will be removing mine,just to fish Fanshawe lake. I have a electric motor bolted on my bow & a 9.9 hp bolted on my transom as well,but no entry allowed onto fanshawe lake!! Both,especially Wildwood Lake is fished hard and crowded with boater’s & Pittock lake is a close second. It’s sad especially for Fanshawe Lake,for it’s a great place to fish,if you know where to go on that lake. Sorry to rant & good luck in selling your 5 hp outboard motor. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂
Yeah it’s crazy, someone said that last year if you removed the prop from the big motor they’d let you on, stupid me assumed it would be the same this year, should have checked before buying the kicker. 🤷🏻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks