Kicker size??

tow-mo

I am considering getting a small kicker for my crestliner 1700 superhawk with a 115 merc , just wondering what size would fit best?? I do a lot of trolling in the river and some on erie when the days are right. I would like to keep the weight down but don't want to get something to small?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thx

I my opinion, anything from 6 HP to 9.9 HP would be adequate.

i got a 6 hp yamaha last year at bridge yachts and pushes my boat at almost 6mph and trolls excellent, there is only a few pounds difference between the 6 and 9.9 other than price . saved my ass a few times. same boat thats in my avatar

I don't know anyone with 9.9 kicker motor that wishes they bought a smaller one but you always hear the oh I wish I would have got a bit bigger one

i got a 6 hp yamaha last year at bridge yachts and pushes my boat at almost 6mph and trolls excellent, there is only a few pounds difference between the 6 and 9.9 other than price . saved my ass a few times. same boat thats in my avatar

Luckily I haven't had any engine problems with this boat and I told the wife that I wanted a kicker to help keep the hours down on the big one but I have admit that I would feel a little bit safer having a back up, a lot better when I'm out on the big lake........

I just picked up a 7.5 hp Honda 4 stroke for my 16' Starcraft bow rider. I'm going to be trying out tomorrow on the river I'll post on how It does I'm hoping for the best.

I just picked up a 7.5 hp Honda 4 stroke for my 16' Starcraft bow rider. I'm going to be trying out tomorrow on the river I'll post on how It does I'm hoping for the best.

Well if it doesn't work out for you Fisherman6377 you can give me a call and we can try it on my boat......:whistle:

I have a 18 foot Crestliner superhawk with 115 four stroke,I have a 6hp four stoke for a kicker it is only on the boat in case of main motor failure.The main trolls great and very quiet,Have tried trolling with the kicker but found it noisy as you have to run at higher rpm.The 6hp pushes it just fine if I had to go home on it.I would not go smaller than a 6hp.Four stroke motors get heavier as you go bigger.With two four strokes you can run off the main fuel tank also.Hope this helps with your choice of kicker.

You should look at getting a 8 hp or 9.9 . A twin cylinder will run a lot smoother than a single cylinder engine.

Go with the 9.9 and you wont have the noise issue . It will push your boat at a lower RPM . I have one on a 2075 lund . works great , Just make sure you get a four stroke and not an old beater 2 stroke . Also if you do have motor issues it will get you home quicker !!

Anywhere from a 5 to 9.9 would be fine.. go with best deal you find. I would recommend a honda outboard for this easily best built and most reliable outboard .....low tech and built to last

just my 2 cents I have a 17' and run a 8hp Tohatsu 4 stoke very quiet runs smooth and never skips a beat. I would do like the others say go as big as you can afford and feel comfortable with. It is a great peace of mind on the big water.

Tight lines
RT

If you go with a Yamaha 9.9 you have more options like e-start, power tilt, longer shafts, more propping options.

I put a 4 HP Merc 4 Stroke on my Princecraft 176 and it pushes the boat fine but it's way too loud and vibrates too much so we usually end up just running the 115 which is far quieter. As others suggest, if you go bigger you won't have to run it much above idle and it should be quieter. Being tight for space, I thought the 4HP would be okay but now I just leave it on the boat for emergencies otherwise I would leave it at home. No matter what you decide on, get a high thrust prop for it, they work waaaaaaay better at slow speeds on heavy boats.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the merc 6hp and 8hp but holy s#*t!!! They are not cheap:greedy::greedy:!! Do most guys just mount them right on the transom or use a special mount???

Hey tow-mo I tried out that 7.5 hp Honda on Saturday and it worked great on my boat.. It worked great for back trolling in that curent, It help us land 8 fish not bad for our first trip I have my kicker mounted right to my transom right beside my big motor without a problem. I took pictures but they are to large to upload it tells me. If you want to see I can send them to you through email so you have a better idea of my set up. Hope that helps ya a bit

Hey tow-mo I tried out that 7.5 hp Honda on Saturday and it worked great on my boat.. It worked great for back trolling in that curent, It help us land 8 fish not bad for our first trip I have my kicker mounted right to my transom right beside my big motor without a problem. I took pictures but they are to large to upload it tells me. If you want to see I can send them to you through email so you have a better idea of my set up. Hope that helps ya a bit

Glad to hear it worked out for fisherman6377 (y), guess I will have to keep looking for my own..........

Did somebody say back trolling???(y)

go with a yam. 4 stk 9.9 high thrust, pushes anything, I put on an electric,long shaft,power up/down tiller on my deep V.17.5' and it works great, only sips gas, quiet too. we have the same motor on a 23' grady white and it does a great job also. DonHyde marine had best price.4200.00

Blastr

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks