Off Topic just killing time

packrat

had some time on my hands this morning so went for a "walkabout" along the north shore to visit some old locations. Port Dover--- 3 fishers nada,,, Port Ryerse----nobody on the "pier", Normandale---five boats out front of the concrete slab but didnt look there was anything going on.

this is where events went south---stopped in at Vittoria (young creek)-----my how things have changed----still a good flow of water just below the dam and a few nice looking pockets of water downstream-----IT SHRANK----and when it gets down to the first bend gone all to hell and didnt have a camera to take any pics. what USED to be a real nice stretch of water is no more----banks are all overgrown and you can barely make out what water there is----again its nowhere near how it looked a good 10 years ago

had some time on my hands this morning so went for a "walkabout" along the north shore to visit some old locations. Port Dover--- 3 fishers nada,,, Port Ryerse----nobody on the "pier", Normandale---five boats out front of the concrete slab but didnt look there was anything going on.

this is where events went south---stopped in at Vittoria (young creek)-----my how things have changed----still a good flow of water just below the dam and a few nice looking pockets of water downstream-----IT SHRANK----and when it gets down to the first bend gone all to hell and didnt have a camera to take any pics. what USED to be a real nice stretch of water is no more----banks are all overgrown and you can barely make out what water there is----again its nowhere near how it looked a good 10 years ago
I have never been there @packrat to Vittoria ( young creek ), but by just reading your post,it sounds just terrible!! & too bad!! 😕👎👎

at one point there was some stream rehabilitation done to shore up the banks----now looks like nobody wants to make any "improvements" in what was a prime piece of water that held some nice browns and was a nursery for rainbow smolts

A few years back during a big storm , the fist bend just down from the Dam, the whole hillside fell into the river .
Changed the flow of the river and really screwed things up. Lost some really go fishing holes

A few years back during a big storm , the fist bend just down from the Dam, the whole hillside fell into the river .
Changed the flow of the river and really screwed things up. Lost some really go fishing holes
i did walk down to where that is----didnt know what happened----is that the reason why that whole stretch has changed????

Packrat, Long Point Region Conservation Authority, is conducting a Class Environmental Assessment on the Vittoria Dam with a possibility of removing or other changes to the structure that may effect Youngs creek. Know they have had one meeting with stakeholders and are having another some time in November.

More info here if you're interested and just an FYI.

https://lprca.on.ca/flood-forecasting-warning/vittoria-dam-class-ea/

Regards
Ken J

Packrat, Long Point Region Conservation Authority, is conducting a Class Environmental Assessment on the Vittoria Dam with a possibility of removing or other changes to the structure that may effect Youngs creek. Know they have had one meeting with stakeholders and are having another some time in November.

More info here if you're interested and just an FYI.

https://lprca.on.ca/flood-forecasting-warning/vittoria-dam-class-ea/

Regards
Ken J
thanks for the info

the Ontario Steelheaders used to do clean ups along Youngs but a lot of the land is private now making it difficult

didnt get to see what the lower section of the creek looks like now---below the last bridge in what was the "parking area" last time i was there nature had pretty well taken it back and there were a lot of downed trees etc starting to choke off the creek

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks