Jigging Lakers

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After waiting patiently for light winds to go and explore a new to me fishery things finally looked good yesterday. Left work at 6:15am, bought and mixed an extra tank of gas for the little merc seapro and launched at an empty lot heading out in hopes of finding a Lake Trout bite.

Success didn't take long! I had a plan to troll until I found fish then hit the spot lock and jig em with light gear. After a decent run offshore I dropped the single rigger rod to bottom and hit a big greasy pig in quick order. After landing it I dropped a white swim bait and quickly hit a couple more before it went dead.

That same series of events unfolded 5-6 more times before I finally hit the motherload. After landing the initial hookup on the rigger rod I proceeded to drop my jig into a swarm of Lakers for the next 2+hrs. Each drop would result in 2, 3, 4 fish chasing and a quick hookup. I could have stayed all day but 24+hrs awake was starting to wear on me and the fishing was almost too easy 😂 Called it quits and went home with a huge grin on my face...

It was definitely up there in most memorable days of my 40 or so years on the water! Won't mention numbers because most wouldn't believe it 😂 Had one fish under 10lbs and several in the 18-25 range. Here's a few pics Screenshot_20220608-191621_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220608-182151_Gallery.jpgIMG_20220608_151815_177.jpgScreenshot_20220608-151208_Gallery.jpg20220608_124226.jpg20220608_091748.jpg20220608_123658.jpg20220608_104158.jpg20220608_124543.jpgScreenshot_20220608-151059_Gallery.jpg

After waiting patiently for light winds to go and explore a new to me fishery things finally looked good yesterday. Left work at 6:15am, bought and mixed an extra tank of gas for the little merc seapro and launched at an empty lot heading out in hopes of finding a Lake Trout bite.

Success didn't take long! I had a plan to troll until I found fish then hit the spot lock and jig em with light gear. After a decent run offshore I dropped the single rigger rod to bottom and hit a big greasy pig in quick order. After landing it I dropped a white swim bait and quickly hit a couple more before it went dead.

That same series of events unfolded 5-6 more times before I finally hit the motherload. After landing the initial hookup on the rigger rod I proceeded to drop my jig into a swarm of Lakers for the next 2+hrs. Each drop would result in 2, 3, 4 fish chasing and a quick hookup. I could have stayed all day but 24+hrs awake was starting to wear on me and the fishing was almost too easy 😂 Called it quits and went home with a huge grin on my face...

It was definitely up there in most memorable days of my 40 or so years on the water! Won't mention numbers because most wouldn't believe it 😂 Had one fish under 10lbs and several in the 18-25 range. Here's a few pics View attachment 58130View attachment 58131View attachment 58132View attachment 58133View attachment 58134View attachment 58135View attachment 58136View attachment 58137View attachment 58138View attachment 58139
As always beautiful photos. Looks like a remarkable day for sure

Thanks amazing. We have jig for lakers in December at the Niagara bar using 3/4 jig heads in 25 fow. How heavy did you have to use to get down that deep. Awesome pictures as well.

Thanks amazing. We have jig for lakers in December at the Niagara bar using 3/4 jig heads in 25 fow. How heavy did you have to use to get down that deep. Awesome pictures as well.
I was using 3/4, that was all, I figured I'd need being stationary with the spot lock but I ended up wishing I had heavier.

Josh

So what’s the unbelievable number josh? :p looks like a fun day.
Somewhere near 40 from 9:30am-2pm 😉 Can't imagine the tally if I hadn't worked the night before and fished till dark!

Great stuff Josh!! Lake Erie or lake O?
Your close....but seeing as I was the only boat out there I'm not gonna advertise 🤷

Josh

What about Huron @Josh Roelofsen ? ;) :cool: :D

Personally, I am ruling out Erie... based on the shreds of evidence provided, that looks like it would have to be near Long Point if it were Erie. And would Josh spend all the gas money and, given his work issue, would he have the time, to head out to the depths of Long Point Bay, just to jig up some greasers? Now, I'm running a program against the reflection on the picture of the sonar screen to see if it reveals any more clues, and that will take some time, but for now, my working theory is not Erie...

Last edited:
We used to use Buzz Bombs for lakers in the NWT. Worked very well. I also have some lures designed by the owner of the tackle shop that no longer exists in Yellowknife. One of these days I'm going to have to find a way to use'em here and see how they do.

@Trevor M , you can fire up your buzz bomb right on the pier… it’s legal now
4-20 Marijuana GIF

@Trevor M , you can fire up your buzz bomb right on the pier… it’s legal now
4-20 Marijuana GIF
Only if you were to join me and you can have my turn. I get buzzed enough from catching fish, or occasionally the other people who spark up out there not thinking that there might be kids around (which often there are.)

What about Huron @Josh Roelofsen ? ;) :cool: :D

Personally, I am ruling out Erie... based on the shreds of evidence provided, that looks like it would have to be near Long Point if it were Erie. And would Josh spend all the gas money and, given his work issue, would he have the time, to head out to the depths of Long Point Bay, just to jig up some greasers? Now, I'm running a program against the reflection on the picture of the sonar screen to see if it reveals any more clues, and that will take some time, but for now, my working theory is not Erie...
I am going to say it was Long Point

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks