I found some Ice!! But! Is it safe ice for Ice Fishing?? 🎣🐟🤔

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I decided to take a drive out today,to the East end of London after lunch,to Fanshawe Lake to have a look at whether there was ice on Fanshawe Lake yet or not. To my surprise,there was plenty of ice,and even one portable ice hut set up out on Fanshawe Lake!! But,is the ice safe everywhere on this reservoir to do some ice fishing there now?? Even though I have been “itching” lately to do some ice fishing somewhere, including at long point bay,I decided to wait a bit longer for safety reasons. A sign
View attachment IMG_2538.mov
at the Fanshawe Lake reservoir,explaining that the ice conditions may be unstable and dangerous on this reservoir. As the saying goes,”no ice is safe ice!!” Here’s hoping for some safe ice here in Southwestern,Ontario somewhere soon,and hopefully 🤞 tight lines & Fish ON!! to All!! 🎣🐟🐟🤞👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
@Red Hering... Good on you waiting to be safe Erich. I don't want to see your "Lund red" truck looking like this on the news. :eek:

View attachment 83600
No worries 😌 ever @Wave Runner !! I have and will walk kilometres first to my ice fishing spot’s,before I would ever drive my truck on any ice,especially my Lund Red truck,my friend! lol 😂 😉 The first photo of the Port Rowan water tower,( white ), way in the background in the middle of the photo,to show on how far at times that I actually walk,( 3 to 5 kilometres one way ),by pulling my portable fishing hut as well,to get to where the perch & sometimes pike bite is happening!! 🎣🐟🐟👍😎

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpeg
    IMG_2134.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2142.jpeg
    IMG_2142.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2277.jpeg
    IMG_2277.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
There is only one way to find out how safe the ice is with new ice formation. It's with a spud bar a float suit, picks and a buddy with a throw line. What I would go out on when I was in my 20's and what I will go out on now has vastly changed. But then so have a lot of things including the creaking in my back!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks