How the H#ll do you people afford this??

rcfire77

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am into it my first year and between the boat, tackle, electronics, rods/reels and gear I am probably 50 plus. Everytime I go out something else goes astray. Finally got my boat fixed after it died (3900 marine mechanic bill later) and it was still not running right til my local auto mechanic figured out it was a distorted carb from the previous owners winter storage attempt (that didnt work)... Fast forward to the second coil and new carb and now my boat finally runs as it should. Took it up tp Port Elgin to put it back in its slip and after speaking with a few incoming fishers I decided to give it a run out and drop a few lines for an hour. 30 min later I was down one brand new 18lb shark and the probe from my fish hawk!! I put a scotty downrigger cheater clip on so I could run two rods of both downriggers. I was raising the rigger back up and got sidetracked by talking to my 16 year old and wasn't paying attention when it reached the clip on release and it broke the line!! Brand new cannon mag10s and the line snapped setting my 18lb shark and probe free. I decided this was an omen and packed up. At the doc my son disembarked and threw me back the line that in his haste managed to slip behind the boat and wrap around the prop tightly. I couldn't get it untangled so once it was tied up I slipped into my boxers and did my impression of a 51 year old slightly outta shape Navy SEAL and submerged under my boat in the harbour slip and cut the line free? I have had some awesome days with tons of fish and this is my SECOND day of an old time SCTV fishing skit! So I ordered a new probe that with delivery was 361 plus now I gotta buy another shark to match its single companion on the port side of the boat. PLEASE tell me this will get easier???

I bought a brand new boat in 2019 for 54,000.Had alot of tackle but have kept things on the cheap after that.It came with a humminbird graph which I ungraded to a Garmin another 1000.After that have kept it simple no riggers just using dipseys and having fun.

For sure DaveJ. Once heard a great analogy that a boat is a great big hole in the water that you shovel money into…. It sure helps if you’re handy to stay out of the shops, but parts, trinkets, and of course lures are a constant pull on the
Pocket book, lol. Wouldn’t have it any other way, though!

Going through the same stuff as you. Bigger boat bigger problems and more cash going out

Works two ways you either learn from expensive mistakes or your wife finds out and then you know what happens 🤨

Man we have all had those years. Normally that doesn't happen in a couple weeks though ! Yikes
Hopefully all of your gremlins are ironed out now.
P.S. I am up at Port Elgin for the next 2 weeks on holidays cottaging and fishing. I'll let you know if I drag up a cannonball with a fish hawk probe on it !

We all been there,last weekend had the family on the boat ,their first time fishing big water,fun fun fun,got the lines tangled in the prop,got it untangled,tough trying to do all yourself and drive the boat at the same time.

I am into it my first year and between the boat, tackle, electronics, rods/reels and gear I am probably 50 plus. Everytime I go out something else goes astray. Finally got my boat fixed after it died (3900 marine mechanic bill later) and it was still not running right til my local auto mechanic figured out it was a distorted carb from the previous owners winter storage attempt (that didnt work)... Fast forward to the second coil and new carb and now my boat finally runs as it should. Took it up tp Port Elgin to put it back in its slip and after speaking with a few incoming fishers I decided to give it a run out and drop a few lines for an hour. 30 min later I was down one brand new 18lb shark and the probe from my fish hawk!! I put a scotty downrigger cheater clip on so I could run two rods of both downriggers. I was raising the rigger back up and got sidetracked by talking to my 16 year old and wasn't paying attention when it reached the clip on release and it broke the line!! Brand new cannon mag10s and the line snapped setting my 18lb shark and probe free. I decided this was an omen and packed up. At the doc my son disembarked and threw me back the line that in his haste managed to slip behind the boat and wrap around the prop tightly. I couldn't get it untangled so once it was tied up I slipped into my boxers and did my impression of a 51 year old slightly outta shape Navy SEAL and submerged under my boat in the harbour slip and cut the line free? I have had some awesome days with tons of fish and this is my SECOND day of an old time SCTV fishing skit! So I ordered a new probe that with delivery was 361 plus now I gotta buy another shark to match its single companion on the port side of the boat. PLEASE tell me this will get easier???
Sell the Boat

I have felt your pain...last trip I thought all my preventative measures this year along with the new gear( all total $5900) would keep me out of trouble. But nope, live well pump shit the bed. Not to mention the card reader in my chart plotter/sonar/gps/radar unit puked. FM even being ahead can leave you behind. It is not for the poor that is for sure. I loved my 16 years in a 1680 aluminum in Kenora and Red Lake. Simple simple simple!

Man we have all had those years. Normally that doesn't happen in a couple weeks though ! Yikes
Hopefully all of your gremlins are ironed out now.
P.S. I am up at Port Elgin for the next 2 weeks on holidays cottaging and fishing. I'll let you know if I drag up a cannonball with a fish hawk probe on it !
I would appreciate that...concentrate on the 95fow directly northwest of the red buoy outta the harbour!

@rcfire77 I have the Cannon Mag 10’s as well and have sent 2 cannon balls to the bottom after they reach the surface.
Scotty makes these and all I used was the cord cut to length to keep the weight just below water surface.
D59BAF09-C77D-49A4-9F88-412CBF6FEE2D.jpeg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks