Fishing Report HORTY,S FISHING BUDDIES

A boat does not run on thanks, it runs on gasoline. Gasoline costs money, equiping a boat costs money, there is nothing wrong with contributing to the costs of a trip. @Puddle Jumper you're welcome anytime on my boat.
I have the pleasure of fishing with Horty on a number of occasions and it is worth the friendship preservation to contribute to the costs of trolling.

Personally, I never ask for or expect anything whwn inviting people out to fish. But, I also run a small 17ft aluminium boat and only get out a hadful of times a year. My friends almost always buy the bait and supply beers for afterwards......so it all works out for everyone. I did have a friend years ago that would NEVER contribute when we fished a couple times a week and it was always a problem when I asked for him to pitch in. Simple solution was to just stop the invites.....solved that problem in a hurry.

I've invited a lot of people out too fish with me.. Run all my gear from rods and reels to the hooks on every lure or jig that hits the water.. Only a couple times have people ever brought their own gear too fish on my boat,,and that was their own perch rods,, trolling or jigging were running my gear period. I don't ask for a dime,, have I taken a couple bucks for fuel or other guys have paid for ramp or bait.. Sure have,, do I ask?? Nope. Never!

I had a guy toss over a 6' stcroix rod this year with a shimano Stradic on it right after he put an 11lb walleye into the boat on the Detroit in April. I just shook my head,, didn't say a word.. After the pictures and him putting that fish into the live well, he looked around the boat and asked where was the rod he was using? I told him grab one out of the rod locker.. He looked kind of puzzled and asked where was the one he was using?? I said on the bottom of the creek you just threw it over board. He kept asking me what he owed me,,, nothing don't worry about it, sh,7 happens. About a week later he showed up at my house with his kid with a new St croix and Stradic and all he could say was when I got home I looked up what this stuff was worth no way I can let you take that hit. I said thanks I appreciate that but you didn't have too,, I looked at his 7 year old son asked if he liked too fish.. Yes sir I do.. Well here you go,, I think you will have this rod and reel for a long time if you take care of it and gave it too him.

But if people come on here or any other forum and offer out some empty seats.. And then someone else comes on and asks if and how much he charges for those seats, and goes on about how wrong that is,, or how he wouldnt do it and how ashamed he should be,, that's just super disrespectful. It's not your boat,, if captain wants too share those seats and split related costs of going out too fish so be it.

Now I sound like a big mouth.

I have had great times fishing with strangers from forums and some not so great. It appears many here are like minded when it comes to chipping in. Sometimes they are doing ME a favour because I won't go out 10 miles trolling solo, close in for Bass and Perch yes but not trolling alone, especially way off shore. That's when experienced fisherman drown, alone, like a few weeks ago. I'm amazed at guys that can handle the boat, 2 rods and a net solo, not me. I sometimes have to wonder how they can do it. Just to have someone to steer straight is a great help especially in wind.

There are people that I really don't want to fish with that I have known for years and are friends, but I take them anyway because it's only fair. I know one guy I asked why do you come out here? it's too rough, too windy, no wind, too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, no fish, no women, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I miss my girlfriend, I miss my dog, I miss my son, I even miss my wife, why don't you let me bring beer? Last time I told him he better be able to swim like a fish or walk on water because he was going over the next "it's too". Come to think of it he's not going out with me again. I've known him for 56 years, he's my mother and fathers other son. If you have an open seat he can go with you.

I never ask for money. I have found 50 bucks under an MT beer bottle on the deck after a post fishing cold one from a guy I met that morning. He had offered it but I wouldn't take it because I invited him out, he didn't invite him self.

I've invited a lot of people out too fish with me.. Run all my gear from rods and reels to the hooks on every lure or jig that hits the water.. Only a couple times have people ever brought their own gear too fish on my boat,,and that was their own perch rods,, trolling or jigging were running my gear period. I don't ask for a dime,, have I taken a couple bucks for fuel or other guys have paid for ramp or bait.. Sure have,, do I ask?? Nope. Never!

I had a guy toss over a 6' stcroix rod this year with a shimano Stradic on it right after he put an 11lb walleye into the boat on the Detroit in April. I just shook my head,, didn't say a word.. After the pictures and him putting that fish into the live well, he looked around the boat and asked where was the rod he was using? I told him grab one out of the rod locker.. He looked kind of puzzled and asked where was the one he was using?? I said on the bottom of the creek you just threw it over board. He kept asking me what he owed me,,, nothing don't worry about it, sh,7 happens. About a week later he showed up at my house with his kid with a new St croix and Stradic and all he could say was when I got home I looked up what this stuff was worth no way I can let you take that hit. I said thanks I appreciate that but you didn't have too,, I looked at his 7 year old son asked if he liked too fish.. Yes sir I do.. Well here you go,, I think you will have this rod and reel for a long time if you take care of it and gave it too him.

But if people come on here or any other forum and offer out some empty seats.. And then someone else comes on and asks if and how much he charges for those seats, and goes on about how wrong that is,, or how he wouldnt do it and how ashamed he should be,, that's just super disrespectful. It's not your boat,, if captain wants too share those seats and split related costs of going out too fish so be it.

Now I sound like a big mouth.
Good for you chipper1 I don't know that I would have been so calm about the rod and reel going overboard. And for you to give the replacement one to that kid that will stick out in his mind forever!

I've got "friends" in the building that keep asking "when are we going to go fishing??"--OK to deal with them away from water but the thought of dealing with them for any length of time just doesn't sit too well with me so they get the old soft shoe routine and avoid the ????. Know a couple of people here I would fish with---but other then that prefer to go by myself.

I am with you stick...i would never ever invite any stranger on my boats period...fishin on my boat is for me and just a very select few...I have world traveled throughout 40+ countries. My life threatning experiences have taught me that early in life...you don't trust no one you don't know...it could cost you your life!!!

Words to live by. I hunt only with those I know very well...VERY WELL. Going out on one of the big lakes in a boat you don't know with someone at the helm you've never met is just scary.

Back in the early 90's when Pt.Glascow would put 200++ boats out each day, I accepted an invite from a local that had his boat docked there. He was looking for a 2nd, and I was willing to avoid the 2hr line-up to launch. So, I ventured out in an OLDER 20' Starcraft...early 70s vintage. Seemed OK until in 68' of water, I noticed the back was getting wet. Apparently there was some leaking around the transom that he "was going to get at soon". Well, his bilge pumps didnt work, and the ass end of the boat was getting low. After a few choice words, I persuaded the cap't to get back to shore. My ankles were wet by the time we got in.

thanks DaveJ for a great example of trust...I am happy to hear it was not worse...Thats right you have no idea what could happen setting foot into another strangers boat...just a gut feelin I bet he knew the boat was unsafe..?
I had a deer huntin buddy that I avoid fishin with. His boat needs an aluminum hull repair for leaky rivets...He refuses to fix it!!! He runs the bilge pump as soon as the boat is launched..to remove the leaked in water...he says its not that bad...well I seen the water coming out of the pump and I told him yes it is bad and it needs to be hull tested and the leaky rivits fixed.. There is a place I know called Ron Bankes marine service where they do a good job fixing leaky boats..they fixed my rivets and my boat does not leak a drop.It is a dry boat. Well he still to this day has not fixed the leaks in his boat. Well I refuse to fish with him even in my boat. His way of thinking is irresponsible...the thing that gets me is he is taking others out on his unsafe boat including his new wife...omg why are some people so brain dead! Some people cannot be trusted playing with other peoples lives..

I have horror stories going out with guys I thought were responsible. I will only go out on a few boats not mine because I trust them with my life. And that's exactly what I put in their hands, my life.

To me the worse thing a boat owner can say to me is "pass me a beer" or "you better drive I'm hammered."

Last edited:
there boat rules are extremely rude and disgusting...gouging there so called friends for cash to operate there boat and the excuse is well I am taking them out fishing... pay up or no more fishin...lol

Thats another thing one guy I know come on my boat with beer hidden in his carry on bag...i told him no booze on the boat...he said its only a 6 pack...that was it ...back to shore and never again...lol

No booze is a good rule. Lost my uncle in a hunting "accident" from having a little too much fun. Lots of time for that when you get home if that's your thing... It's my thing and if I can wait so can you lol!!

I dont know if it is the age group but as far as i go is i never ask.... It usually ends up my buddies will pay for the ramp or bait or both and since i was going anyway they just saved those costs for me ... Like i said i was going to go either way just much more fun going with a couple other people than by yourself... Just my thought

I couldn't have said it any better @knapptime .

And just to take this right off the rails, any one wonder what a day on the lake with Lisa Grinton would have been like? That post had almost 10k views before it was deleted!

320f9363b7ee7598c30379ca7a15efc7.jpg
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks