Fishing Report HORTY,S FISHING BUDDIES

HORTY

Planning a Sunday trip,got room for 2 anyone want to come along???

None of your business if he wants a couple bucks for fuel bait etc.. Worry about what happens on your own boat not others boats.

If I invite someone along I don't expect a "tip". I always say it's like inviting someone over for dinner and then expecting them to throw in a few bucks for the viddles. It is nice though if a guest brings along something to show their appreciation but you can't expect it. Then again there was that time my brother invited us over for Lobster that I cooked and at the end presented me with a bill for half. I calmly told him I would knock it off his bill when he stayed with us for 8 months absolutely free including using a car of mine for the entire time to help him get back on his feet when he divorced a few years earlier. We didn't expect anything in return, just a bit of appreciation maybe.You can't pick your relatives.

I just figured the missing post was one of those people that like to block certain users when they don't agree with every word you say.. HAHA
If someone is bitching about a boat owner asking for gas money he can get bent. Go fly a kite in a storm.. Hahah
I wish I had Sunday off of work I'd love to spend some money on some fuel!

I agree with you @Bassassin for the most part shouldn't expect it money in return..
It's like one of those un written rules..
And if my bank account can't afford fuel then hell yah I'll ask for some money and won't feel bad about it either

I know many folks that can't afford things but they budget for them. Rather than spend money on 4 cases of beer and a few jugs of high test a weekend they buy and fill their toys with fuel. Of course they should be driving a car or truck, it's part of the budget to be able to earn money. Not much public transportation rurally.

I don't get your point @mick.

I know 3 retirees that fish together exclusively. They split on a nice Cuddy, 23 footer all rigged up, the slip and all associated costs from plugs to fuel. Individually it would be tough on the budget being on fixed incomes. Together they can well afford it and get them out of the arm chairs.

@mick
Most people who have toys can afford to pay for their own fuel..
When I have a week or two off sometimes I go out 5,6,7 days out of the week
Now I can afford to fill my gas tank everytime
But why the heck should I pay out of my own pocket every single time when there be two other men with jobs going out with me catching and keeping fish?

@mick

But why the heck should I pay out of my own pocket every single time when there be two other men with jobs going out with me catching and keeping fish?

Because they are smarter than you and I. We bought the boats and they didn't. I took some time a few winters back and took every and all costs into consideration to calculate my total expenditures to run the boat. I even included depreciation. I wish I didn't. Based on the numbers for the previous year and the time on the water that is logged as long as my GPS Combo is turned on I came up with $18.00 an hour for my boat. And that didn't include any road trips towing her. I love it when a fishing buddy says "don't worry Johnny D. I'll buy the minnows!" Thanks buddy your the best! I'm happy that they enjoy their time out on the water with me and I have learned not to expect more. It all comes out in the wash. Like when that same pal asks me if my wife and I would like to borrow his mint condition 65 Chevelle convertible for the weekend to take a nice ride along the lakeshore. Yes Sir, thank you very much, what a blast.

I dont know if it is the age group but as far as i go is i never ask.... It usually ends up my buddies will pay for the ramp or bait or both and since i was going anyway they just saved those costs for me ... Like i said i was going to go either way just much more fun going with a couple other people than by yourself... Just my thought

I agree with Chipper1, its up too the boat owner and guest 's too decide whats fair

I think there is a difference , between your close friends and people that you go fishing / hunting (or what ever) with once or twice a year. or strangers you met from this forum.
Its different when taking out family friends who return favors and invite you for gatherings etc... versus the co-worker ,aquantaince who only fish / hunt with and never see otherwise.

I run / organize a deer hunting camp for friends and family at my parents and neighboring properties.....I supply lodging, 20+tree stands, scouting and supplies. I have had friends complain about having too help out around property once or twice a year and pitch in 100$ / year towards hydro,propane, and gifts for land owners. So guess what those guys no longer get invited. As i felt i only see them during hunting season and feel they are taking atvantage of me.

I am a guy who loves too fish. Although I own boats I am not comfortable taking either of them out trolling on the great lakes.
So because of that I am a fishing whore !! ANY BOAT, ANY LAKE, ANY TIME (weekends only LOL)
Most years I get out on the great lakes 7 or 8 times in up too 6 different boats. I have never had anyone (even strangers from this forum) ask me for money!
But at the same time I would never go out and NOT OFFER and some instances insist, too pitch in for gas, bait, launch etc. Its the least you can do, knowing how much work / cost that goes into maintaining a boat.

I think allot of people either find it boring or unsafe to go out on the great lakes alone, but sometimes its hard to find close friends / family to go with.
I think forums like this: Are a great way for people with similar passion to meet others with same interests. There are times its nice to take inexperienced friends, family, co-workers etc. out with you fishing but then other times its nice to not feel like a guide and have someone with you: who knows how too drive a boat or set riggers, dipsy's and possibly teach you some new tricks. So thats why I enjoy The OPEN SEAT offers. I have fished with several people that i have never met before & 90% of them i still keep in touch with and have never had a bad experience with anyone from this forum. co-worker / aquantainces of friends on other hand different story...boats without GPS, compass, VHF etc, Jimmy rigged everything. ( there is a reason I always take my own handheld VHF & GPS, spark plug wrench, pliers, multi tool and electrical tape. along in my tackle box. reguardless of who or how nice a boat) Its not personal...but i have been stranded on the water several times in the past (young & dumb), and have no interest in experiencing that again. If i can help it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks