Hey fall steelheaders..looking for a new set of waders

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Any reccomendations on chest waders for the fall river..quality new comfortable flexible durable and warm feet..
my last pair lasted a long time so there ancient and don't fit...redball boot attached neophrene..
I remember A few buddys years back complaining about cold feet fishin cold waters with the stocking waders and with additional wading boots...
open to suggestions ...please

Any reccomendations on chest waders for the fall river..quality new comfortable flexible durable and warm feet..
my last pair lasted a long time so there ancient and don't fit...redball boot attached neophrene..
I remember A few buddys years back complaining about cold feet fishin cold waters with the stocking waders and with additional wading boots...
open to suggestions ...please
I wear shoes and boxers. Its southern ontario!

Find a pair of waders you like and then be sure to buy a quality pair of heated sox...or 2. They work awesome!👍👍

I wear breathable material made ones
Moisture build up is what makes you feel cold , specially after a long walk than stopping to fish
As for brands there is a lot you can pick from pending on budget
If you choose sock style and separate boots from waders, be sure to try the boots on with extra socks on and still have room to wiggle your toes , if you have good blood circulation your feet won't get cold
I have been fishing in some cold temperatures and other than my fingertips never been cold ,
My best days on the river are from December to March, a lot less people too

Cabela's ultimate hunting waders if your going with neoprene boot foots. Thats all I wear in the boat or if I'm not gonna be doing alot of hiking. Breathable goretex stocking foots are the only waders I'll wear if I'm doing alot of hiking. Boot foots just don't cut it for long walks. And its much easier to stay warm on stocking foots when your always moving. Simms G3, Patagonia rio gallegos or hodgman h5 for breathable stocking foot. You can get breathable boot foots, the simms are the only ones I'd trust tho...

Josh

Last edited:
I've actually had success with the Cabela's breathable, mostly just wading through water then standing on shore. Had them for 5 years now, still going strong and no issues whatsoever. A buddy uses hot pockets to keep his feet warm.

Have had Simms G3 Guides for 8 years now and and they are still feeling new except the caked on roe juice spot on the right leg. Been put through a lot and no leaks at all. Make sure if you want to spend the money that GorTex is on the logo. Used to have the Simms Blackwater (not gortex) and amazing difference.
Match it with a Gortex coat and you will be very comfortable on the water!

Hey Mick - agree 100% with Josh’s and everyone’s reply - Simms what I can say are good from experience but hear others mentioned like Patagonia good too.
If you are on a tighter budget I see in Canadian Tire flyer they have I think their own brand (outbound neoprene on for $100 reg $200.
Good advice from cmac re heated sox or maybe insoles. Before I had these I used to get a size bigger - wear a liner sock under a smart wool sock and put a small hot pack in the toe.
Good Luck and fun fishing the streams

I’m pretty sure when buying boots you buy two sizes bigger then your shoe size is what Simms recommends.

I've had a pair of Bare waders for almost 10 yrs.. Still going strong.. Keep you warm on those Late Fall/ Winter days

Thanks alot for all the replies & info on waders..especially gortex ..

oh ya great reminder on the hiking...heart attack hill and the stairs back up from the whirlpool is just a memory...

Ya I better order a pair soon so I get the right size right the first time..

Hey Anonymoose - haven’t bought or looked in awhile but liked Merino wool or smart wool - not cheap. Think BPS was selling their own brand (Redhead) of ultimate wool which was mostly merino. Buddy of mine and I followed his advice always wore a thin wicking sock or liner sock underneath for the sweat and makes a big difference.
Bought ThermaCell proflex (black tops vs orange) a couple of years back at SAIL but not even sure they still make the same. Bought an extra battery (expensive) as last about 3 hours and would change out if sitting in tree stand all day
They don’t get real hot (some guys think they’re not working) but keep your feet more at body temp - as too hot creates sweat and that freezes.
Worked for me - hope you can still get them as when these go - it will be hard to go without - or back to the hot pack in toe.
Btw - speaking of 1 time use hot packs - I’ve bought some that are useless but the HotHands (orange package) work the best
Put the body size in a hand muff when sitting and will last all day. Used to use the hand ones for toe of boots.
Good Luck - fishing or hunting can get miserable with frozen toes

I have Patagonia rio Gallegos and they are a few bucks but worth it in my opinion. They have the best warranty going for sure. My buddy swears by wearing woman’s nylons Under his socks in winter and his feet stay warm. Also don’t have your boots too tight.

Check out Dryft waders Mick. Mid range price point. Great ratings. I have a pair of their SEEKR waist highs for smaller River steelhead and fly fishing. They make some nice stuff. Fit charts are accurate. Dryftfishing.com.

Hey @cmac and @Bones - any suggestions on brands of heated socks or insoles?
I honestly can't remember the brand of sox I have. My son in law and daughter purchased these and an insanely warm pair of camo chest waders as a gift on my birthday 5 years ago and they are sitting in our "toy" room in Radium. The tribs we fish back home rarely get above 4c. Most are glacier fed. All I can tell you is the sox kept my feel very comfy. As Bones mentioned, temp is more like body temp. My batteries lasted about 6 hours.

Mick..a guy on the basshaven website has a new in box pair of Columbia neoprenes size 12 stout, 3.5mm, camo...$100

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks