Off Topic Health care system needs drastic overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also a union rep for the Ontario Nurses Association at LHSC for 35 years.
Unions are absolutely necessary for hospital employees like Reg Nurses.
You'd think the hospital as an employer would treat their employees well....wrong.
They can be brutal, and would prefer everyone works for free while the execs are making large 6 figures.
Nuff said...

@DaveJ : Yes and most of those TOP people have never been under the gun, but can tell others how it should be done. We have way to many book smart people today, with NO on the job knowledge.

Update. Well after 2 weeks in UH and moved around to 3 different rooms and many different diagnoses it has been decided that mom would do best in a Long Term Care Facility and can no longer function at home. She has now been moved to the 10th floor of UH and waiting on a temp bed in a facility to await an opening in a LTC facility.

Well said old cut , vote or quit whining…
I had the misfortune of spending Xmas in the hospital to hav triple heart bypass surgery on Boxing Day and spoke to the nurses and doctors about the state of our health care system and repeatedly heard how nurses,doctors and surgeons were being enticed to go to private clinics for more money and better conditions while our hospitals fall apart. Why can the province and federal government use our tax dollars to ruin our hospitals

sorry for the rant but vote for whoever you want but VOTE

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread! Who thought I'd get such a great insight into our "Medical System" (far from it) by checking in of Channel 68! I for one appreciate everyone's opinions and insights! So much education here for someone like me who is not involved in the "system". Really appreciate the comments.... Thank you!

I was also a union rep for the Ontario Nurses Association at LHSC for 35 years.
Unions are absolutely necessary for hospital employees like Reg Nurses.
You'd think the hospital as an employer would treat their employees well....wrong.
They can be brutal, and would prefer everyone works for free while the execs are making large 6 figures.
Nuff said...
I hear you DaveJ, my sister is a retired nurse and her husband a diabetes doctor at UH and St Joes. My niece is a neo natal charge nurse at Victoria and my sister in law Betty is a retired nurse in Cambridge. My nephews wife is a dietician at UH. I have lots of health workers in my family and all of them think our system has been broken for a long time.

'I was also a union rep for the Ontario Nurses Association at LHSC for 35 years.
Unions are absolutely necessary for hospital employees like Reg Nurses.' @DaveJ

I have been a Union Rep in the manufacturing industry for 30 years, President of our Local for 12 years, it is absolutely necessary that Unions are there. With out them people would be working minimum wage and in very unsafe conditions! Unions help everywhere.

Unions are not the issue nor can they solve the problem but maybe "we" the voter/taxpayer can by sending a message to our elected representatives as to how we feel ? We can call it The Chicken Soup Campaign... it couldn't hurt ?

Unions are not the issue nor can they solve the problem but maybe "we" the voter/taxpayer can by sending a message to our elected representatives as to how we feel ? We can call it The Chicken Soup Campaign... it couldn't hurt ?
Actually, the Ontario Nurses Association has led the battle against health care decline over the last 20 years. Recently it was ONA that took the Ontario gov't to the Supreme court over the legitimacy of bill 124 that froze Nurses wages. It was found unconstitutional and Nurses were both compensated and awarded a new contract. ONA has successfully challenged and won cases over staffing numbers, countless health and safety cases, WSIB awards, etc....as have other unions like CUPE, Unifor, etc. Getting the public support is KEY to the fix!!!!!

Its all about clearing beds. I was a manager of clinical operations at LHSC for a few years before I retired and came back as a staff RN. Part of my responsibilities after regular hours was to oversee bed access and flow..basically who got beds, who got sent home. The hospital needs between 200 and 300 discharges daily to account for planned surgical admissions, clinic admissions, emerg admissions, interhospital transfers, repatriations from outlying hospitals, traumas, Drs offices, etc. The hospital is one big conveyer belt that never stops..ever. Not to defend the system, but even a hospital as large as LHSC has a limit to its resources..physical beds, staff to look after those beds, etc.
Your initial 8 hrs on a stretcher in the ER is unfortunately standard issue..up to 24hrs for non-trauma is common. If you can talk, are conscious, have a clear ECG, then you wait. Even things like broken arms, chest pain, etc go to chairs.

After the ER assessment, only the sickest of the sick get admitted..ie..if you can be seen later in the community by your care provider, have a home to go to, can be referred to out-patient services(which can take months) the you're discharged. At any point in time, the hospital is likely at around 100-115% capacity..meaning all beds are spoken for, and other admissions are overflow..in hallways on stretchers, in storage rooms, or in ER beds. The problem with ER beds is..they aren't nursing care beds, they are assessment beds. The ER isn't an admission unit, so when people are admitted to hospital and there are no beds to go to, the ER gets backed up, and cant assess people who need to be seen...thus the 8, 10, 24 hr waits. It can get so backed up people are waiting in the parking lot in ambulances for 24 hrs not even being able to be offloaded as there are no Nurses to accept them. I've seen it where every ambulance except 2 in the entire London Middlesex area were tied up waiting in ER parking lots...only 1 or 2 ambulances left on the road to go to calls. Its a disaster.

Someone like your mother should be admitted to a short term care/rehab facility like Parkwood before going home..and they should have made that referral. The hospital doesn't want to admit her to a medicine unit as she doesn't really require that level of care, and it blocks a bed for an acute medicine patient..however the reality in the hospital is a large percent of medicine beds..and other beds..are taken up with elderly waiting for placement to long term care facilities..which often have waits of 6-12 months. Ive seen upwards of 50, 60% of some units beds taken up with ALC patients (alternate level of care) not requiring an acute care bed.

So...when someone like your mom comes in to the ER with a caring family and a home to go back to, a PSW service in place, and no acute care issues (rehab isn't considered acute), eating and drinking well..she goes home. The Drs often could care less if there aren't any beds..they expect they just appear on command. Your saving grace is you have a caseworker and a meeting. My recommendation....REFUSE to take her home..you don't have to. They may categorize her as ALC and charge her a small daily rate for the hospital bed..but no-one has ever been forced to pay that. Set very firm limits with the hospital with what you and your wife are able and willing to do, and force the hospital to find her a rehab bed.

You're right, its a disaster, especially for the elderly. Best wishes to you all.
Thanks for the info DaveJ. I need to ask you a question. The hospital just called and told me they will be charging her $65 per day as of January 26th and until they can find her a temporary bed in a LTC home. They said they are sending the bill to my wife as she is the power of attorney. Do we have to pay this $65 a day for however long they keep her in the hospital.

Thanks for the info DaveJ. I need to ask you a question. The hospital just called and told me they will be charging her $65 per day as of January 26th and until they can find her a temporary bed in a LTC home. They said they are sending the bill to my wife as she is the power of attorney. Do we have to pay this $65 a day for however long they keep her in the hospital.
Message sent

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Noon Saturday my daughter said she didn't feel right and had some abdominal discomfort. By 8am Sunday we took her to Tillsonburg hospital to get checked out. After blood and urine test she was off for a CT scan around noon. Was told she needed to head for Woodstock around 2 and that she was stable enough that we could get her there faster if we took her. By 330 the surgeon came in and said it was time for her appendix to come out. By 530 she was back in her room and all fixed up. Today Monday I'm typing this out waiting to see if she is physically ready to come home but I'm guessing it will be tomorrow. Even as flawed as the system is.......thank God we at least have what we have.

Excellent story Stick

I agree that the system needs help such as vast investment in doctors, nurses, and other support staff, but it is still a pretty awesome system.

We have to stop voting for politicians that want to always lower taxes. Those days are over, time to admit it and move on. Most people here I am sure have felt the sting of inflation, some are lucky enough to have pay raises from your job to compensate. Why would a reduction in taxes make any sense in today's world? They will say tax reduction by reduction in waste??? OMG, those days are over too.

Do a search on Canadian disposable income vs time. You will see that disposable income is increasing year after year with a big exception in 2021 and 2022 due to inflation. However, taxation rates have gone down. We pay less taxes now per dollar earned than our fathers did. (but complain more). Our forebears paid for the building of this country, and we can't even pay enough $ for our hospitals to stay in good shape, but we have 3+ large screen TVs in the house and the latest greatest iPhone. Our priorities have shifted.

We need investment in our societal infrastructure, talk to your MPP and support the ones who get it.

@Stick:
How muck lighter are your pockets getting service like that ?? Do you know someone on the board ?? Just kidding that was a great message..

Glad to hear that your dilemma worked out like it did for you Stick. Stressful times I’m sure.

Its how our govts spend our tax dollars. Health care is in distress, homeless are increasing...yet I see announcements like this...

"Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an additional $362.4 million in funding for the Interim Housing Assistance Program"

Thats for new asylum seekers in Canada..which I understand but thats $362 Mill that didnt go towards taking care of Canadians who've live here and paid taxes their entire lives. Only so many dollars to go around...

maybe we should take care of our own backyard before we ask for more people to come in. Let's get the houses built, the infrastructure in place and deal with homeless first before we keep sending million$ out of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks