Hastings perch....coast guard

bent rods

Well fished Hastings on Friday morning fishing was awesome in 45 fow.
Got 70 perch bettwen 11-14 Inches

Then went out to 55 to troll our way back in hoping to pick up a walleye or bow.
Blow the fuel pump in the motor. Couldn't get a tow back into port. Had to wait on the coast guard 3 hrs to get to our position.

Hey Johnny Gregs just getting up now at 4:30am people are already on the ramp. I gave him sh*t for not calling you back. He put me in my place real fast saying he got your message late Friday called you back early Saturday morning around 7am he thinks it was. No answer. We try real hard here to have good customer service wouldnt want you to think we don't appreciate your business just gets a little hairy around here. Hard to stay on top of all the phone calls for fishing reports/weather and wave conditions. Next time send a message on here I try to reply every night. It's a bit easier because I can do it at all hours hope to see you soon!!

Your so busy some days Greg I don't how you manage to juggle all the things going on and still reply to messages. You and Sam are terrific at everything you do, I fully appreciate your class act with no complaints here. :love:

Well fished Hastings on Friday morning fishing was awesome in 45 fow.
Got 70 perch bettwen 11-14 Inches

Then went out to 55 to troll our way back in hoping to pick up a walleye or bow.
Blow the fuel pump in the motor. Couldn't get a tow back into port. Had to wait on the coast guard 3 hrs to get to our position.

Been there, had that happen before also. Some guys will ignore calls for help because they don't want the inconvenience but I would never leave a stranded boater. Thank goodness for the CG bringing you safely back to port. So glad you at least got a mess a perch for your trouble. :D

Last edited:
Maybe some people who have a VHF Radio and are not licensed should know it is against the law and if they do not respond to a mayday call and you can be charged for not responding and providing assistance.
Just remember everyone in the water, has a family out there.

wow glad you got back okay ,it is not a nice feeling to be stuck out there ,,,hard to beleive nobody would come out and drag you back to port ,,,anyways you got back safe with a load of perch ,you had lots of time to get them all cleaned well you were waiting ..lol Dutch

I recently got a VHF how do I get a license online? And law or no law how can u not help someone in need I was Always taught someone needs help u help because one day will be you in need

Another reason some people may not want to tow a disabled boat is the responsibility. You are not obligated to tow a vessel in distress but to render any and all assistance if it is safe to do so. Towing a 26' twin outdrive SeaRay with a 16' tinny is not a good plan !! Also be reminded that once you hook a tow line up to a boat, that boat then becomes YOUR responsibility !! I have never turned anyone down , but I have had my request for a tow turned down. Happened up north, involved a rock at high speed and a locked motor, don't ask !! Anyway guy refused to tow me 6 miles back to Lodge, explained it was new 4 stroke motor being broken in. He did lend me his 6hp kicker to get me back so all was good!! My wife said the look of shock on my face when I asked for a tow and the guy said no was , priceless!!

I have fished that lake for 6 years I have given up fishing twice to assist people in need of help or a tow. And yea the kicker part is I even asked for a radio check I got load n clear then I asked for a tow no such luck. Not one person would come back. When I left Hastings their was 12 boats around. I was west of Hastings when the motor quit by sand hills no one around in sight.

Any way coast guard took a while but great to deal with.

Plus side is parts should be in Tuesday and on the water Saturday morning.

Good you got back OK..a boat that dosnt work on Erie with no one around gives a whole new meaning to lonely
Heres an excerpt from Industry Canada re marine radios..
Its worthwhile taking the Power Squadron radio operators course to learn how to use the radios properly.

Ship Radio Station Licensing
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
  • the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by ReferenceRBR-2.
If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.

You do need a restricted operators certificate to transmit on a VHF radio....

Operator Certificate - ROC(M)
You must have a Radio Operator’s Certificate – Marine ROC(M) to transmit on all marine radios (VHF, MF/HF, and SSB radios) in Canada. (Simply listening to a broadcast does not require a certificate.) You do not need an ROC(M) to use FRS or CB radios on a boat.

Before you get your ROC, you need to learn the basic radio procedures, the phonetic alphabet, regulations, and penalties for improper use. You can either take a VHF course or study the "CPS Maritime Radio Course manual". Then you take a test with an approved registered examiner, who will send in your application to get your ROC(M), which is good for life.

Industry Canada: Spectrum Management regulates the radio frequencies and requirements for marine radio transmitting in Canada. Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons (CPS) has been authorized by Industry Canada to administer ROC registered examiners (REs) since 2002. Since 2006, CPS and CYA have an agreement allowing CYA to offer training and testing for the ROC(M). You may buy the manuals from CPS for home study and get a list of authorized examiners who are able to test you (a few verbal questions about radio calling plus a multiple choice written exam). In these cases, the testing organization would send the certificate applications to CPS for you.

ROC(M) certificate replacement is provided from Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons 1-888-277-2628 for more recent years. Other ROC certificates (Marine Commercial, GOC, Aeronautica, and older Marine) are provided from Spectrum.Certificates@ic.gc.ca1-877-604-7493. {July 2011} [Government directory: Industry Canada |Canadian Boating Index: CPS]

Last edited:
You do not need a Station License if both the conditions that DaveJ posted apply however you DO NEED a Radio Operators Certificate-Marine (ROC-M) to operate the radio in Canada. This is a course available through Ontario Power Squadron. The ROC-M is mandatory and the maximum fines are quite high however it is doubtful anyone has ever been charged for not having one....

Hey Johnny Gregs just getting up now at 4:30am people are already on the ramp. I gave him sh*t for not calling you back. He put me in my place real fast saying he got your message late Friday called you back early Saturday morning around 7am he thinks it was. No answer. We try real hard here to have good customer service wouldnt want you to think we don't appreciate your business just gets a little hairy around here. Hard to stay on top of all the phone calls for fishing reports/weather and wave conditions. Next time send a message on here I try to reply every night. It's a bit easier because I can do it at all hours hope to see you soon!!

Yes of course. Sometimes I say something and 2 mins latter want to take it back. And I forget about what it takes to earn a living. You guys are great there that's why I am always drumming up business for you. Out of line on my end.

Yes of course. Sometimes I say something and 2 mins latter want to take it back. And I forget about what it takes to earn a living. You guys are great there that's why I am always drumming up business for you. Out of line on my end.
Good on you for admitting your mistake.

I believe you were assisted by CG1004 from Long Point Inner Bay. They probably explained to you that they were on patrol on the Inner Bay at the time your Marine Assistance Radio Broadcast was made by Sarnia CG Radio.

Hope they told you that they had to return to Booth's, recover the IRB at the ramp and trailer to Port Burwell. Re-launch at Burwell transit to your location and tow you home, glad to hear it all turned out OK.

Kind off pisses you off when other vessels in the area are conveniently deaf when MARB's are broadcast.

With all of the activity in the Central Basin maybe it's time that the local MP for Elgin is lobbied for a full time SAR vessel to cover the area from Hastings to Erieau in the summer months. If the CG Auxiliary knew how to treat their volunteers maybe there wouldn't be this gap from Dover to Port Glasgow that was handled by thankless CG volunteers for many years.

CG Search and Rescue focus seems to always fall in the shadow of the CN Tower in Lake O. Three full time SAR Cutters on Lake O. and only 1 to cover most of Lake Erie based out of Dover. And about a half resource based out of Amherstburg. Go figure!

Back