Off Topic Grass carp in Bay of Quinte

Fishermanpaul

Some awful news today from Ontario Outdoors Magazine… a commercial fisherman caught a grass carp weighing 20kg in lake Ontario… it showed no signs of recent reproduction and no others were found in that area. Certainly not something anyone wants to hear though.

Grass carp at least eat vegetation and not plankton unlike silver or bighead carp… still on that note probably will end up changing the ecosystem if they establish a population. Also it shows that we have the possibility for the others to show up if the grass carp have gotten into the system. Scary stuff!

Attachments

• A567CD96-F783-4C9A-AA11-2539D16BB894.png
    A567CD96-F783-4C9A-AA11-2539D16BB894.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Some awful news today from Ontario Outdoors Magazine… a commercial fisherman caught a grass carp weighing 20kg in lake Ontario… it showed no signs of recent reproduction and no others were found in that area. Certainly not something anyone wants to hear though.

Grass carp at least eat vegetation and not plankton unlike silver or bighead carp… still on that note probably will end up changing the ecosystem if they establish a population. Also it shows that we have the possibility for the others to show up if the grass carp have gotten into the system. Scary stuff!

Thanks for the “heads up!” and that is Awful news 👎 indeed @Fishermanpaul Here is some more information to anyone else,including myself,on how to tell the difference between a Grass Carp and a Common Carp.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the “heads up!” and that is Awful news 👎 indeed @Fishermanpaul Here is some more information to anyone else,including myself,on how to tell the difference between a Grass Carp and a Common Carp.
Great info Red, education is the first step.... by knowing what they look like, where they breed, and any other info then maybe we can help nip it in the butt before they expand, but I believe if they establish a breeding population then there will be little we can do :(

Once again my finger and iPad collide.I don’t think there is anyway to stop them . They will come eventually and play themselves out . Like zebra muscles and gobies , not all bad . I was a tobacco farmer and lots of us dug irrigation ponds , within a couple of years we had fish . Started with different types of minnows, then sunfish , rock bass , bass ,carp . No one stocked them ! Apparently they just magically appeared .
aly

I lived in BOQ in the 80s and up until late 90s. The zebra mussels decimated the local population of pretty much every thing. The murky water from all the tribs got cleared up at the river mouths and light found the bottom for the first time. The whole bay got choked with weeds, it still is in the spots we used to fish 30+ years ago. Everything changed but eventually came back to almost normal. I have to believe that nature will adapt but it truly is concerning to see the invasive carp threaten our sport fishery. Thanks for bringing this to light, I will tell friends and family who fish to be looking.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks