grand river walleye

Anyways............ any more walleye tips out there for the river?
I take it you're from Brantford----if so check the river from downtown to cockshutt bridge
any number of spots will produce , just have to keep at, you'll find them sooner or later

landed 2 'eyes in York last night. Some small cat fish. Was out until after the sun set.
made the tour down to york on saturday, all i could catch was bass, my buddy did catch a walleye thou, pretty small. we started at sporting good rd dead end and walked down river, next time i think we will start closer to caledonia dam. lots of people fishing there, but saw no one catch anything

I fished the dam in Caledonia yesterday morning for a couple hours and got skunked, didn't see anyone catch anything. Fished Cayuga today half way to Dunnville in the boat and my daughter got 1 decent size pike but that was all that we got to the boat, had a couple other hits but missed em. Still enjoyed every minute of it though!!!

Fished the lower Grand yesterday between Dunville and Port Maitland. Was pretty slow but my son landed 2 nice catfish. One was about 10 pounds I figure. He was so surprised how strong they are he thought he wouldn't be able to get it in and wanted to give the rod to me, but I wouldn't let him give up and it paid off. I had one on a little later that was an absolute beast but I didn't get in as it broke off at the side of the boat...

just wanted to see if anyone else is having success on the river lately. Went out yesterday on the lower Grand was kinda slow but managed two good size walleyes. Caught tons of sheephead and catfish. One walleye was caught trolling a CC shad and the other on a fire tiger rattl'n rap. Post your pictures from the Grand River I would like to see this thread continue and share some of your techniques.IMG_0870.JPG

Call me a party pooper or bad sport but I strongly disagree that posting specific locations on a small body of water with high fishing pressure like the Grand River is a good thing. Just look at the views on threads, you are not only telling members here you are announcing in to the worlds fishing site trollers that search for hot spots. There is nothing wrong with even giving GPS location to friends and members, that's what PM's are for guys. I am the first to give specific locations and methods to anyone for Lake Erie even GPS numbers, via PM. That is one huge body of water with plenty of fish for everyone including fishing pressure from the commercial guys. There has been a program the last few years to transfer larger lake Walleye spawners to above the dam at Dunnville. If every meat hunter in Ontario comes down to the river and keeps them all it's just a waste of energy. I don't know I would eat anything from the Grand knowing what sewage goes into that river from Brantford and above due to rain storms. I read about the human waste going in there regularly in the Brantford paper.

Just my opinion all.

I can regularly check the known spots around Brantford and I don't see an unusual number of people fishing the river----cant say the same from Caledonia downstream

lived in Brantford all my life and have eaten my share of fish from the river with no side effects----just look at my avatar to see what I mean:D

The Lower Grand River is hardly a specific spot. Off the top of my head I'd say its about 8 - 10 km from Dunville to Port Maitland. To anyone who thinks the lower grand is a hotspot is going to be quite disappointed. As far as the grand being polluted I'd have to disagree but I never really looked into it very much. I can say that I have fished the river since I was a teenager ( about 10-12 years now) between Caledonia and Port Maitland and never once have I seen anything that I thought was bad for the river. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to see a bunch of weekend fishermen show up and put a lot of pressure on the walleyes, but I have hardly given away a big secret. Just wanted to see what other people thought about the Grand River. By the way the Lower Grand River is connected to Lake Erie so by saying this is a huge body of water that can support pressure from everybody including commercial fishermen, your are also referring to the Grand River. I'm no expert about what fish do but I have always assumed that the fish move from the lake to the river and back.

@Starcraft14, I wasn't referring to your posts specifically but I see this thread going that way. It made me think about how specific I was on a recent request for a few spots here or on another site, can't remember but I was breaking my own guidelines and that of the site rules. Like I said it's only my opinion and welcome your comments.

There is a massive difference between the size of the Grand and Erie. Some fish do migrate to the lake and back from below the Dunnville dam but between the Dunnville and Caledonia Dams the fish are locked in the river and tributaries there. Catfish and Mooneyes for example hardly venture into the lake from below the Dunnville Dam. If you eat a few fish from that river it won't kill you but I wouldn't based on what I have been told, seen and read for many years. I have a pal that was on town council or many years here and sat on the board of the Grand River Conversation Authority and he has some scary stories about how much feces and urine goes into that river.

Last edited:
Solution to pollution is dilution lol ....the volume of water pushing through is considerable. The odd bypass will happen just like they do into Lake Erie. The bigger concern is agricultural run off but that's a story for another day. I live on the grand and have no issues swimming or eating fish for that matter.

Re: specific spots. Earlier in the thread there was specific spots referenced and I can guarantee if you said "caught 10 walleye in york" there would be 25 guys out the next day. Anyways not trying to ruffle feathers im just against posting that kind of specific info publicly the Internet is a powerful tool. Also remember anytime you post a spot online a puppy dies.....

Here's the way I look at posting specifics....think about how you would react to someone posting YOUR favourite spot on the net because when you post a report with specifics chances are it's someone else's favourite spot;)

Believe me, word can travel fast and spots have been ruined by posts on the Internet. It doesn't take much to send a crowd running destroying a vulnerable or quiet fishery...

Josh

Last edited:
Over 3700 views on this thread. I don't think we have more than a few hundred members here. Stomp may correct me. Web trollers watch for loose lips. Give all the specifics you wish to other members, just do it with a PM is all I'm saying. That includes yours truly.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks