Good old smelts !!!

floatin rig

Hello , thought I would ask a new question on here , something that has been on my mind for some time , is there still a smelt run in the early spring? Fond memories of drag netting them at night with Bon fires on the beach .

the 'run' is hit and miss and pretty sparse. I got about 5 dozen once a few years back, but lately I have been getting maybe a dozen when dipping for emerald shiners. It's nothing like the 60's and 70's when you could get a 5 gallon pail, no sweat.

WR

We get them threw the ice towards the end of the hardwater season at the other end of the lake . last year we were filling 5 gallon pails every time out

The east end of the lake is full of them in ice fishing season I go down with a buddy every year and we get a bunch of them we fish either sugar loaf marina or dennis town, which I think is the weland cannel. I will have to check with my buddy for the names for sure as he lives there. Not sure if sugar loaf is the actual name of the marina of just what the locals call it will ask buddy

The lake still has plenty. I was told by the Capt. of a fishing boat while he was unloading a few tons that they now spawn deep. Why? He couldn't say, but they sure don't make the spring runs like years back and they sure are out there.

Can buy them relatively cheap and cleaned at the Independent in Delhi... Usually under $4 for a feed...

They spawn deeper now due to the clarity of the lake IMO... The only spot I know of where you can still net a decent amount is the Niagara river...

Had some a couple weeks ago from superstore simcoe....they were good. Callahans beach house in Dover has the some of the best I have eaten.....lightly battered and deep fried.....yummy....and served to you. It always satisfies that smelt craving......if you know what I mean.:woot:;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks