G-Bay Greasers/Salmon

Spider

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0113.JPG Up on G-bay vacation week. Fishing for Lakers was outstanding around Killbear Provincial Park in the allowed fishing areas. There is a large closed area for Lakers. West of posted sign lining up with Depot Harbour.

Picking limited everyday on a average morning 6 to 8 fish with 7 to 10 fish lost.

Running flys Atomic Blue one side and Green other rigger and always Cheeters. 80% caught on Cheeters. Dark blue spoons with some white just slayed them. Running down 89 to 113 feet @ 2.1 to 2.3 mph. Got 2 bonus Salmon that had to be put on the BBQ.

Had one nasty whoops with a Cheeters deep in the finger. Its embarrassing but it's fishing.

A few fish pics I got. Fished a lot solo so hard to get a pic.

Last edited:
Nice! It's quite the Laker fishery up there. Good job on the Salmon! They're pretty rare in that area nowadays, Any size?

Josh

Well that's a Son of a B*tch! :banghead: I was up at a cottage right around the corner from that architecturally unique cottage in the back ground of one of the pics, for the week. Spent time chasing bass and pike with limited success. Had all the riggers and gear in the truck back at the Marina, shoulda, woulda, coulda! :facepalm:

Great report and photos @Spider. Thanks for posting.
Sorry about hook set, OUCH!!! By the way @stomp that's called a right index finger not a thumb. :rolleyes::D

Killbear Park lakers bring back some good memories from 1985 before they closed sections to fishing. We got our 3 fish limit every time we fished there during that 2 week vacation releasing every laker except 2 small ones to try on the BQ. :yuck: Found out I did not like lakers but my father did. Only had 1 rigger on a 14.5 ft. Lund trolling chrome flat fish at 95 ft. down. Also kept this mounted 21 1/2 lb. laker using a light rod with only 8 lb. test mono, that took awhile. The MNR took samples off the fish and said it was at least 25 years old telling me these lakers are all natural native to GB off Killbear, not stocked. One evening an off-duty OPP caught a monster 42 lb. laker, I wonder how old that big guy was!

Oh yeah one morning it was foggy and the Parry Sound ferry came through blowing the horn, that was a little scary sitting out there not knowing where it is. :eek:

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Last edited:
@Wave Runner ... thx for the anatomy, history and biology lessons:p... I couldn't stand to examine that picture too closely while having breakfast...honest mistake and maybe the first this year.

@Wave Runner ... thx for the anatomy, history and biology lessons:p... I couldn't stand to examine that picture too closely while having breakfast...honest mistake and maybe the first this year.

Hey Stomp a quite understandable honest mistake... but the first this year... really is that honest?
Maybe @Mrs. Stomp can weigh-in on that one. :p

Never fished for Lakers in Ontario, all my lake trout fishing was done in the NWT when I lived there. Great Slave Lake, Prosperous Lake, Prelude Lake, Walsh Lake (all near Yellowknife) Biggest Laker I've caught was 10lbs 2 oz....but there are lots of them WAY bigger than that, especially in the east arm of Great Slave Lake, or further north in Great Bear Lake that are between 40lbs-65+lbs. These are the lures that worked best for them. Buzz Bombs, and a lure called "the wolverine" which was created by the original owner of the local tackle shop (Wolverine Sports) which has changed hands and since permanently closed .....Ruby Eyes worked and I also saw them being caught using a jig head tipped with a yellow twister tail while trolling

Attachments

• Lake Trout Lures (1).jpg
    Lake Trout Lures (1).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Lake Trout Lures (2).jpg
    Lake Trout Lures (2).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! It's quite the Laker fishery up there. Good job on the Salmon! They're pretty rare in that area nowadays, Any size?

Josh
Hey Josh right about rare. They come in later August Sept. I'm told. 8lb and 11lb.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks