Future of erie fishing.....

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
My suspicions that 2018 would produce another exceptional year class of walleye seems to be confirmed! If you think there's alot of fish in the lake now just give it a few years! Hopefully there's enough bait to feed em all :oops:

Who knows we might be looking at increasing the sport fishing limits in a few years....

Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_100355.jpg
    IMG_20180915_100355.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 195
That’s awesome to see. We may see a decline in the big 10+ pounders but that will only last a couple years. It’s crazy to think of the population explosion off of the previous 2-3!year hatch, and 2018 being significantly larger. Times are good for walleye but not so good for perch!

The thing is there's usually a a crash in #'s after you get too many of a certain species in an area whether you're talking land or water creatures. Enjoy it while it lasts because it won't last forever.

Eating as many fish as you can during a population spike actually helps the population.

So many walleye, your right Josh I hope there is enough baitfish to support another couple strong year classes. Mother Nature sure is taking care of the unwelcome gobies now lol

It's just a cycle as every lake goes through. The perch and smallmouth have sure suffered during the last bit though. Its amazing how quickly a lake can change.

There is a lake I have fished up north for almost 20 years. Never seen a largemouth for the first 15 year now it's a booming fish factory for bucketmouths. Muskie were rare and now quite common. Only this year have crappie appeared. The smallies and walleye have changed locations due to this ... its a never ending cycle just when you think you have a body of a water figured out...

We may see a decline in the big 10+ pounders but that will only last a couple years
Large fish of all species also come from their genetics so all fish do not have the ability to get large (size doesn't always equate to age). The more anglers that enjoy the fight of a large eye but release them back, the more their genetics will be passed on. The 10+ pounders are almost always females as well. In getting out 14 times this year on Erie I caught over 20 in the 8+ pound range. The fish are out there but you have to change tactics a bit to catch them.

Large fish of all species also come from their genetics so all fish do not have the ability to get large (size doesn't always equate to age). The more anglers that enjoy the fight of a large eye but release them back, the more their genetics will be passed on. The 10+ pounders are almost always females as well. In getting out 14 times this year on Erie I caught over 20 in the 8+ pound range. The fish are out there but you have to change tactics a bit to catch them.

How do you target the larger eyes? Maybe i'm spoiled from the great fishing lately but I'd like to mix some size into the endless 1-3 pounders

Dipsys on 3 always seem to get me bigger fish . And I fish Maitland to Bruce... run lead if I must lol. Smaller eye are fast and hungry and there’s not enough bait to go around !

The 2015 hatch will be prime spawners soon. Interesting article attached below

THESE ARE SIENCTIFIC FACTS: Keep vs Catch and release of big fish. I hope you take the time to read this and maybe stop judging one way or the other. : Division of Wildlife studies have shown consistently that most female Lake Erie walleye reach sexual maturity at age four; most of the males are ripe at two or three years old. Of course, a few fish always vary from the norm; age at maturity can be affected by things like food availability and growth rate. In a few certain years the females have all been mature by age three.

A widely acknowledged principle in fishery science is that while long-lived fish species may produce more eggs as they get older and larger, the percentage of those eggs that are viable (capable of being fertilized and incubating into normal fry) drops off significantly. That's why hatcheries tend to rotate broodstock on a regular basis, replacing older females with youger ones.

The word "fecundity" refers to the numbers of eggs produced. The word "fertility" refers to the number of actual offspring produced. After reaching sexual maturity, Lake Erie walleye are likely to be at peak fertility for around three to five years. Their peak fecundity may occur later.

This should help rest your concerns regarding keeping those big 30+ inch females caught during the spring.

To help add to your understanding of sexual maturity, here is some additional information to add to Fred's comments on sexual maturity in Lake Erie walleye as compared to walleye elsewhere and farther north of here. This information has been provided in the past as well here on the discussion board.

"Regarding older walleye vs. younger walleye----the older, larger 'hog size walleye' may produce more eggs than younger fish. However, it's a well known fisheries science fact that as females grow older and bigger, the 'viability' of those eggs (ability to become fertilized, incubated and hatched) decreases significantly. The younger females, ages 4-7 and lengths of 18-24 inches (these are averages, and can vary), will produce the most 'viable' eggs.

In comparison, walleyes in far northern Ontario lakes are known to reach sexual maturity at age 7, and may only be 13-14 inches at that time, compared to age 4 and 17-18+ inches in Lake Erie. Northern Ontario walleyes exhibiting the highest 'viability' of eggs range from 13-22 inches---with walleye over 22 inches significantly less viable than the younger, shorter females.

Why is this? In Lake Erie, due to our warmer waters and abundant food supply, our walleyes grow fast and die young. Colder waters and less abundance of food result in northern Ontario walleyes growing slow and dying old.

Regulations a few years ago for specific regions in Northern Ontario for walleye allowed a bag limit of 4. All 4 must be 16 inches and under, or 3 can be under 16 inches, with one being over 22 inches (this provides a big trophy walleye to be taken by outfitter/guide clientele). This protects their most viable spawners and helps improve recruitment when a walleye stock is low. Mixed emotions were raised among anglers when first imposed, yet the realization for a better fishery in the near future has now been accepted. This may be a great management program for cold, northern Ontario lakes where food abundance is low, grow rates are slow, and both angling pressure and native Indian netting has impacts on the fishery. However, you must remember that these northern cold water lakes are NOT comparable to the size and productivity we experience on Lake Erie. "

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks