Fresh Water Drum / Sheepshead recipes

As a side note my family had a cottage at Longpoint and in the spring the locals smoked carp . My dad attended one of these affairs ( generous libations ) was sicker than a dog that night and next day , blamed it on the carp ??🤮 (Next legend ) talked about pickled chub , I new people back in the sixties that speared suckers ,and pike in the spring and pickled them , no more bones . When I was a kid we fished for suckers in the spring in Otter creek . Fried them up a couple of times , very boney , soft white meat but no off taste . Of course everything back then over a campfire was 5 star !

Tried it as a kid and again last year thinking it will be different. I've smoked it, baked it and breaded and deep fried it, still not a fan. My Newfie neighbour on the other hand loved it though, just saying!

Haha sorry for bringing this topic back to life... I stumbled across an article on drum that I have to share.

This guy Hank Shaw is the best author on fish and game cooking that I've found, and if he says he cooks them and they are good, then I do believe it. Even if you hate drum, poke around his website for other recipes!

No surprise that in the drum article he suggests using recipes that work with the texture- meaty and firm, not tender flaky- and like always careful handling for best meat quality.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks