Fresh Water Drum / Sheepshead recipes

BallEye2

Anyone have any recipes for sheepshead? Have a fishing friend asking.

Thanks in advance
Balleye

Never tried it....I did have an old neighbor who did eat them...He would take the backstrap only. Slice into 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" pieces. Boil them for 1 minute then place in a large bowl of ice... Once chilled, serve with shrimp sauce....... Again, I never did try it...I could not force myself to........ but he claimed it was very good...

Like this

amy sedaris cooking GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

Call the Ontario Commercial Fishing Association. You will be surprised how many Drum are processed in Ontario for commercial sale. My guess is we have all eaten what some like to call sheepshead at some point in our dinning out lives.

Same recipe I use for raccoon and Coyote Season fish well with salt and pepper, heat cast iron frying pan and cook until well done. Scrape s#&head into the garbage and eat the frying pan. This method will provide you with a lifetime's worth of iron.

Last edited:
I’ve seen lots of fishing shows on the tube where they cook and eat sheepshead , all positive results . I have never tried it but willing to give it a go .I think it’s common sense not to keep one over 3 pounds , and filet them properly . Apparently they are oily.

ly

OK..I will admit to having eaten sheep. A past fishing buddy fish-coated and deep fried some pieces off a small specimen along with some wallys. It was surprisingly similiar, but not quite the same. A bit mushier and a bit ? fishier tasting? OK but I wouldnt go looking for a limit to fill the freezer.

I can almost guarantee that all of the negative posts are from guys who have never eaten one . I haven’t tried it , believed all the talk . But I am going to give it a go .I have been fishing Longpoint Bay my whole life ( I’m a senior ) Back about 20 years ago I sensed something was not right with the Smallmouth fishery . Before that we caught tons and ate them all ( nothing over 15 inches ) Released them all now , no problem since there aren’t many to catch . Back then if you told someone you keep rock bass , or sunfish to eat they would look at you like you were crazy . Well when I wanted a fish fry I started keeping them , pain in the butt to filet but guess what , way better than bass . Carp were introduced here from Europe , considered fine table fair over there . When I was a kid we used to keep carp for a neighbour that was Jewish , she loved them , made some kind of carp balls out of them , so I guess that what’s eatable and good is debatable . I’ll give a sheepshead a go , but will pass on the carp , although they do fight like crazy .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks