Fresh Atlantic Salmon…Good deal or Not? 🤔

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
While I was shopping at one of the local Real Canadian Superstore this morning here in London, I wandered over to the seafood section,like I normally do,to check things out there. While I was there, I noticed that the Atlantic Salmon was around half price,because the expiry date on the package’s were coming up. I ended up picking out 6 packages,enough to fill up my smoker for a later occasion. Even though it doesn’t say farmed fresh Atlantic Salmon anywhere on the package’s, I was assuming though that the Atlantic Salmon was farmed,and according to a “google” search,( once I was back home ),is that Google mentioned,that all Atlantic Salmon are very likely farmed. No problem,for the last batch of Atlantic Salmon that I had bought from the Real Canadian Superstore were delicious!! 🐟 🐟 😋 Did I get a,”Good deal or Not?” 🤔 As the saying goes,”everything in moderation.”Bon Appetite” to All!! 🐟😋😉 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 31
I would suggest targeting it your self next spring... Great lakes Coho would put any farm raised salmon to shame... You might even get lucky and catch a legal Atlantic... IMO

do you smoke it dry like jerky or leave it moist like lox?

what temperature do you target?

Obviously fresh caught salmon is better than any farmed salmon… but we have purchased that fresh Atlantic salmon from the superstore before and slancys maple glazed salmon recipe is very good with it on the frying pan! 👍

Smoked dry @Outdorman and there are only 3 settings,( Warm,Ideal and Hot ),on my very old stainless steel Bringmann smoker,that my wife had bought for me year’s ago as a gift from Cabela’s in Michigan. I usually set the smoker at Ideal,especially for fish,because I don’t want it to dry out too fast. It’s very simple to use,( propane ),and unfortunately I don’t have any photo’s of my last batch of salmon or trout that I had smoked,but soon. 🐟😋 Here is my Bringmann smoker at work,with our last Canadian Thanksgiving turkey 🦃 inside of it. A Hot setting for turkey and other poultry,etc.
View attachment IMG_1883.mov
🦃😋👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1888.jpeg
    IMG_1888.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1890.jpeg
    IMG_1890.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 5
I would suggest targeting it your self next spring... Great lakes Coho would put any farm raised salmon to shame... You might even get lucky and catch a legal Atlantic... IMO
Thanks @jammer 👍 and I will need to target the Coho salmon more,especially when the Bluewater Anglers Club Salmon Derby is on in the Spring,for they are plentiful then in the southern portion of Lake Huron,not too far from my home. Atlantic salmon are definitely caught as well. 🚤 🎣🐟👍🙂

I love it when they slap a 50% off sticker on seafood or beef, not to keen on chicken or pork and whatever it is gets extra scrutiny (date, packaging, smell, looks ). Makes for an affordable treat when on a pension.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks