French Toast

hvyhaul

One of the board "Maple Crack Syrup Dealers" has sent me a picture of their process underway so I figured I'd get this out before I "get mine" LOL

I've always been disappointed when ordering a side of French Toast along with a "Big Breakfast" in restaurants. They seem to be able to make a decent pancake, but their French Toast has always left me very underwhelmed.

The Wife came across this recipe years ago and I'll just say, "It's killer."

FAST'N FABULOUS FRENCH TOAST

1 cup All purpose flour
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
10 - 12 slices of bread

Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in mixing bowl. Stir well. Beat eggs and milk together thoroughly. Add to flour mixture, blending until smooth. Pour into flat dish.

Preheat light buttered griddle or large frying pan over medium heat. Dip bread into batter to coat thoroughly. Cook on hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm with maple butter, honey butter or Maple Syrup.

Last edited:
@hvyhaul boiling is going well and sales are as well. Let me know how many you want and I will keep aside for you. ;)
Maddy has a network of sales people this year lol.

Interesting French toast recipe

my dad always used to make it for me as a kid
We would mix
As many eggs as per slice of bread.
a splash of milk, a pinch of cinnamon
Mix in a large bowl.
Take the slices of bread poke holes with a fork to help the absorption.
soak bread in the mixture make sure the bread becomes saturated
Cook on a frying pan.

I think some places mess up their French toast when they don’t soak the bread long enough for it to absorb all the way threw.

I usually eat mine buttered with sugar on top, but when I get my hands on some delicious maple syrup I prefer to use that 😉

If you try it let me know. 😁

When the kids were small, and had sleep overs this was what they got a lot of times for group breakfast.

More times than I can count a phone call from a mother would come asking for the recipe.

One of the board "Maple Crack Syrup Dealers" has sent me a picture of their process underway so I figured I'd get this out before I "get mine" LOL

I've always been disappointed when ordering a side of French Toast along with a "Big Breakfast" in restaurants. They seem to be able to make a decent pancake, but their French Toast has always left me very underwhelmed.

The Wife came across this recipe years ago and I'll just say, "It's killer."

FAST'N FABULOUS FRENCH TOAST

1 cup All purpose flour
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
10 - 12 slices of bread

Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in mixing bowl. Stir well. Beat eggs and milk together thoroughly. Add to flour mixture, blending until smooth. Pour into flat dish.

Preheat light buttered griddle or large frying pan over medium heat. Dip bread into batter to coat thoroughly. Cook on hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm with maple butter, honey butter or Maple Syrup.
I haven't seen flour as an adder to French toast. Must try this !

I read one recipe called for stale bread; I guess to help absorb egg mixture ? I keep mine simple use one egg per slice of bread, beat/wisk eggs in bowl , add pinch of salt , use good quality Vanilla Extract , soak both sides then into nonslip pan on Medium Low to Medium heat depending on your stove and type of frying pan you use. Always good with breakfast sausages and don't forget the Maple syrup.

To me restaurant french toast is just eggy fried bread, this is cakey, pancakey, fluffy french toast.

Sounds lame described, but it's the only way our gang will eat the stuff now. :giggle:
I made French Toast for dessert tonight with @hvyhaul recipe using flour and @Derkd9 technique to poke the bread with fork to absorb. It was the BEST.. ate way more of it than I normally would (or should)!😋

I’ve got a nice fresh bottle of maple
Syrup a guy I work with made, just waiting for the right time to try this recipe!
I plan to next French toast craving I get! 🤤

Looks Amazing @hvyhaul We were 1 ingredient short to make this weekend. I will rectify that this week...

How is the 2021 batch of #Maddy's Maple Syrup?

RT
The French Toast doesn't need the powdered sugar, that was for the kids benefit. LOL

MMS? It is excellent sir, excellent! :giggle:🥰

Already used 3 times, breakfast yesterday and today, and in the Beans as a layer of flavour. 😁

Last edited:
When I do French Toast, I don't use the thinly cut sandwich bread. I go out and get Texas Toast or a baguette and cut my own. Then I beat up half a dozen eggs, (only my wife and I so I don't need a lot) pour a little bit of milk into the eggs, some cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg beat it up a bit more, then soak the bread in it for a couple minutes before putting it on the flat top. Once it's done if I have any icing sugar I'll use the sifter to lightly apply it to the top, then Maple Syrup, either regular or butter flavored.

We tried making French toast out of raisin bread once and have not looked back. It is worth a try! Homemade maple syrup on top and it is awesome. If you have extra syrup, one of my favourites is syrup on vanilla ice cream.

Back