Off Topic Float Rod Question

cmac

For you float anglers, a good friend , 90 y.o., passed a few weeks ago(natural causes) in Revelstoke and willed me his fishing gear. Among many set ups is a Lamiglas 12' (6-12 lb., 1/4 -5/8 oz.) "The Closer" rod and a Zeppelin 475 reel. I'm not a float angler and never heard of the rod before and thinking it might be a light to medium...any opinions about it ?
thanks in advance,
Mike

Medium fast action, medium power. It's on the more powerful side as far as float rods go. That's quite the high $$$ setup! I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to float fishing gear, feel free to PM me with any questions....

With that setup I would take up float fishing if I were you!
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Congrats on the new gear.

Josh, I was hoping yourself or stick would respond as you two are, in my opinion, 68's go to guys for expert float angling advice so, thanks for your valuable input. I appreciate it. I know anything from King Pin are high end quality though as I mentioned, I never heard of Lamiglas before and again, I'm not a float guy. Guess I will keep the set up and figure out how to use it.
champ, Alby, thanks so much for the offer of condolence...much appreciated!

Sorry to hear about your friend... To be willed someones fishing gear i'm assuming you were close...
One of the biggest collection of float reels and a heck of a knowledgeable guy is Jos from Angling Outfitters...

@cmac First let me offer my condolences on the passing of your friend. I know first hand what an honor it is to inherit a mans sometimes most cherished possessions. It can also be a burden to have to decide what one should do with them. I still have a few boxes from my "uncle" as well as my good friend Paul that I have yet had the heart to go through and make those decisions. I know in time I will have to shrink the amount of stuff I keep for myself, decide on what to sell and on what to donate so their legacy can carry on in the hands of younger anglers.

@Josh Roelofsen is definitely the guy to garner information on float gear from. He appears to me to be a junky when it comes to float rods and reels. Me, I'm just creek rat and proud of it. Bling is not my style even though I don't spare the dollar when it comes to the quality of equipment. After all, it's going to take a lot of abuse if I'm using it.

Stick, jammer, thanks so much for the condolences...greatly appreciated. There is sooo much gear, it will easily fill my pick up box and maybe more. I spoke with his daughter and told her to take what ever she wants for herself and the grand kids as well. They are all avid anglers just like Grandpa Paps. What is left, I will see what I can use and yes Stick, we will be donating the rest to young anglers to carry on his name and his daughter is 100% on board with this. He was a die hard float man, a man of very few words and never...never disclosed his favorite fishing locations as he was very protective of the interior environment and wild life. However...he did leave me a package in which his daughter said contained his gps and 4 sets of coordinates. I asked her to join me when I investigate these 4 sets and we both think they are his "honey holes"...and if so, I think they need to stay with the family...just my personal opinion.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks