Fishing Partner

@Red Hering lol that is good service! It’s ok to offer that much, I guess what I meant to say is if someone asked if anyone had an open seat and I replied “yes, it will cost $100”.
I guess I was thinking wear and tear plus cost to run is already there even if I go alone. On the other hand to rent a boat is going to cost $100 for the day, you might not get to go far out in the bay on 9.9 unless you spend your day driving, as well if you don’t know they bay, the person driving might and put in better spots to catch fish. So I can see where a $50-$100 might be worth it to some.

Well...yes the companionship is nice whether you get a cent in return. That being said...believe me 50-100 bucks is NOT going to make me any money when you look at the costs involved in owning and operating a boat ! Well maybe if I had a 12 foot tinny but that isn't the case. If I didn't have a boat I would be more than happy to toss the person who asked me to go 50-100 bucks no questions asked. Many who don't have boats don't realize the costs involved.

Well...yes the companionship is nice whether you get a cent in return. That being said...believe me 50-100 bucks is NOT going to make me any money when you look at the costs involved in owning and operating a boat ! Well maybe if I had a 12 foot tinny but that isn't the case. If I didn't have a boat I would be more than happy to toss the person who asked me to go 50-100 bucks no questions asked. Many who don't have boats don't realize the costs involved.

Big costs
Then there is all the trolling gear and what not on top of that.. seems to never end

This is not a complaint..fishing one of the things I enjoy spending money on 😉

I got rid of my boat back in 2013. I had a boathouse at Booth's Harbour and Proctor Marine did all the service spring and fall and stored it over the winter. Back then, I figured it was costing me around $5K a year just to dock her. So, IF I got out 20 times... that would be $250 a trip, not counting driving expenses from/to Londontown.

Earlier, I had a regular fishing buddy that usually went with me to Long Point for well over a decade. The friendship eventually ended and it was related, in part, to these expenses. It was my boat and he was my guest, so I didn't mind paying the lion's share of the freight. However, I think things would have turned out better if he had at least made it clear that he was always ready with his wallet for gas, bait, and to split the driving. My advice... if you're a guest on someone's boat, don't be chintzy like a certain marina down Rodney way. It's not just the gas and ramp fee. Think about all the cash the owner has tied up in equipment, insurance, maintenance, etc. .

I got rid of my boat back in 2013. I had a boathouse at Booth's Harbour and Proctor Marine did all the service spring and fall and stored it over the winter. Back then, I figured it was costing me around $5K a year just to dock her. So, IF I got out 20 times... that would be $250 a trip, not counting driving expenses from/to Londontown.

Earlier, I had a regular fishing buddy that usually went with me to Long Point for well over a decade. The friendship eventually ended and it was related, in part, to these expenses. It was my boat and he was my guest, so I didn't mind paying the lion's share of the freight. However, I think things would have turned out better if he had at least made it clear that he was always ready with his wallet for gas, bait, and to split the driving. My advice... if you're a guest on someone's boat, don't be chintzy like a certain marina down Rodney way. It's not just the gas and ramp fee. Think about all the cash the owner has tied up in equipment, insurance, maintenance, etc. .
Well said @stomp !! 👍👍🙂

I guess that’s the thing about this is, there are a lot of variables lol.
In your case I see what you are saying as why would your friend buy a boat since he has you.

Bravo well said, as much as I hate the expense & it goes up every year I love fishing a 100 times more & more & more

@stomp: VERY well put !!!!! Had a friend a few years ago would pick buddy up buy minnows, had boat house, took him back home, cleaned fish gave buddy half, then told buddy it was going to cost him $25 from now on !!! The buddy SAID EVERY Time, he no longer is fishing.

I dont ask for money but if offered yes I take it to cover gas
All the guys I had fished with always covered their share " some from this board as well " who came with me by paying for ice , ramp fee , partial gas cost or just gave me some cash
I can't justify to ask someone to cover boat and gear cost as I would / have payed for that anyway
I guess I been blessed with good natured people who I had fished with

If I invite someone, they are my guest.

Guests don't pay.

Requests are treated a little differently, but I don't expect a specific value as not all have the same resources.

My neighbour provides the tow vehicle for my boat. He wouldn't take anything for moving it to Burwell. $40 in gas and wear and tear.

We work it out over the year and through our friendship.

@hvyhaul: Yes I agree with you re guests, this situation was much like the "stomp" story and the friendship is all but gone. This is a very sad outlook on life, take with NO return.

If I invite someone, they are my guest.

Guests don't pay.

Requests are treated a little differently, but I don't expect a specific value as not all have the same resources.

My neighbour provides the tow vehicle for my boat. He wouldn't take anything for moving it to Burwell. $40 in gas and wear and tear.

We work it out over the year and through our friendship.
I'm with you, they're my guest. I'm going out anyway, I don't have ramp fees and anyone that comes with me usually has their own gear and bait. In fact there's been times I've called people up to come with me, if it's choppy I can't drive, catch & net all by myself.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks