Fishing Partner

@hvyhaul: How much longer for you ? A piece of advise do it as soon as you can, time goes by SO fast and the age twice as fast. I am in year 19 and yes getting damn old...

@Red Fisher officially 11 months, unofficially, 20 minutes if they piss me off bad enough. LOL

Figure maximum time to find a safe place to leave the truck would be no more than that. 🤪😁

@hvyhaul: How much longer for you ? A piece of advise do it as soon as you can, time goes by SO fast and the age twice as fast. I am in year 19 and yes getting damn old...
So true Red. I'm in my 18th year and it seems like yesterday I retired at 55. :whistle: Don't get me wrong though I don't want to be unretired I like it this way.... just plain tired. 😁

@hvyhaul: it is nice to be in that situation, the 20 minute one, but 11 months will be here and gone in NO time......

I know open seat posts have been frowned upon lately
But that’s what’s nice about this site there is always someone willing to fish
In general, I don't think open seat posts are being frowned upon. However, if the person offering up a seat is doing it as part of a charter-like business and not supporting Channel 6-8 through donation or sponsorship, then maybe I might get my hackles up. Given the site's terms about not posting material that "encourages unlawful activity", I guess offering open seats ahead of Step 2 of the reopening, might not be cool.

Ok...question as to what might be appropriate in cost sharing when taking someone out fishing. Lets look at approx. 1.5 hr drive, launch fee, possibly bait and of course gas for boat and vehicle for the day. Some of my friends just had a brief discussion about what is appropriate. Last couple of years we came to a conclusion that about 50.00 seemed fair (as we all know this doesn't come close to covering all the costs involved in owning a boat) but you don't want to to overcharging either. We all know how it works, usually at the end of the day the person you take out asks what do I owe you for gas etc. and you give em a figure and end of conversation. This year a couple of us with boats kind of said in reality 75.00 might be more realistic. I know a couple guys I have taken out who gladly toss a 100.00 my way after the day....which, basically if I didn't have a boat, I would gladly pay for the enjoyment....fish is a bonus. Any thoughts?

Ok...question as to what might be appropriate in cost sharing when taking someone out fishing. Lets look at approx. 1.5 hr drive, launch fee, possibly bait and of course gas for boat and vehicle for the day. Some of my friends just had a brief discussion about what is appropriate. Last couple of years we came to a conclusion that about 50.00 seemed fair (as we all know this doesn't come close to covering all the costs involved in owning a boat) but you don't want to to overcharging either. We all know how it works, usually at the end of the day the person you take out asks what do I owe you for gas etc. and you give em a figure and end of conversation. This year a couple of us with boats kind of said in reality 75.00 might be more realistic. I know a couple guys I have taken out who gladly toss a 100.00 my way after the day....which, basically if I didn't have a boat, I would gladly pay for the enjoyment....fish is a bonus. Any thoughts?
Guess I have been screwing myself. When I take people out I always just told them cover launch, bait, and ice

I don’t usually collect anything. Split the gas that’s it.

Use to kick in $15. That usually covered the ramp and some money for gas and paper for the graph, but that was a long time ago! At least now no money is needed for paper!

I don't charge anything, I am going fishing whether they come or not.

The friendship and the event is all I need.

If someone insists on contributing I may or may not accept, it all depends.

One the funniest and most memorable events was when my neighbour said that he wanted to put gas in the boat.

As the gas went in and dollars signs went higher and higher and my neighbour got quieter and quieter, between the two of us we ended up handing over $175.00 is cash. :eek:

No way could I have accepted that from anyone, even if they were a pain in the ass on the boat.

Last edited:
I don't charge anything, I am going fishing whether they come or not.

The friendship and the event is all I need.

If someone insists on contributing I may or may not accept, it all depends.

One the funniest and most memorable events was when my neighbour said that he wanted to put gas in the boat.

As the gas went in and dollars signs went higher and higher and my neighbour got quieter and quieter, between the two of us we ended up handing over $175.00 is cash. :eek:

No way could I have accepted that from anyone, even if they were a pain in the ass on the boat.

i think that’s it, you are already going out anyways. I would think at best have them buy bait if the offer or like $15 if the insist on paying. $50-$100 seems like you’re out to make money as I don’t see a 200lbs person costing that much more in gas. Just my opinion though.

What goes around, comes around,,
If i'm going and the seats empty the invite to fill it dose not come with a surcharge.....

If the guest wants to jump out and cover the ramp fee, or grab the bait, as they usually do, so be it.
If not,, never give it a second thought.

I know open seat posts have been frowned upon lately
But that’s what’s nice about this site there is always someone willing to fish
We discussed this at the 6-8 Moderator's annual general meeting on Monday (really is was just a PM discussion but I'm trying to make us look important). Anyway, we are not aware of any concerns or past issues with posting for 'open seats' or 'rides wanted' but it's up to the members to use their discretion as far as the legalities go.

Last edited:
We discussed at the 6-8 Moderator's annual general meeting on Monday (really is was just a PM discussion but I'm trying to make us look important). Anyway, we are not aware of any concerns or past issues with posting for 'open seats' or 'rides wanted' but it's up to the members to use their discretion as far as the legalities go.

Okay likely just couldn’t find the thread again afterwards.. there was someone who asked for open seats because to his trip
Being canceled up north covid 19
and was looking to fill his time.
I couldn’t find it after the fact
Assumed it was deleted

i think that’s it, you are already going out anyways. I would think at best have them buy bait if the offer or like $15 if the insist on paying. $50-$100 seems like you’re out to make money as I don’t see a 200lbs person costing that much more in gas. Just my opinion though.
When I get invited out on someone else’s boat,(even though I have my own boat & I like to use it as much as possible),but when a invitation comes along from @Extra Virgin for example to join him on his boat,I will offer to pay for the minnows 489C405C-6F96-4A08-B157-797C3EA3595F.jpeg & the boat ramp fee,(around $40 total),and even chip in with the gasoline if need be for his vehicle or his boat. Owning my own boat,I know what it cost for a day of fishing,so therefore I don’t mind helping out in anyway I can.Besides,@Extra Virgin even picks me up at my front door (early!! lol 😂),5FF290DA-62C7-41F5-90E9-F3E42ECE7353.jpeg and drops me off again after fishing for the whole day with him. Now,that’s what I call great service & great company as well & worth every dollar!! 356C37F7-8999-45DC-92CC-E732D03E9280.jpeg 👊👊😉 1E07D8C5-0FBF-4CBF-A6F3-5CD78924E166.jpeg 🚤🎣🐟👍😎

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks