Fish ID

Yt35

Hi Gents was on Lake O 100 FOW dipsys at 25 35 55 and 100. Got salmon on all depths. White green flashers and atomic meat rigs.
Just wondering what this fish was??? Atlantic ???

Tnx

Attachments

• 1ABAB0A7-1270-4BC8-BB8C-4EAE94E8FA21.jpeg
    1ABAB0A7-1270-4BC8-BB8C-4EAE94E8FA21.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 192
baby king atlantic don't have spots on the tail

How To Identify Atlantic Salmon​

• Black spots on gill cover
  • Black x-shaped spots above lateral line
  • Slender or pinched caudal
  • No spots on tail
  • May have eroded fins
  • 8-12 rays on anal fin

Definitely not a tic. Attached is a good reference.

Attachments

• SalmonTrout-LakeOntario2012 (1).pdf
    860.1 KB · Views: 40
100% young Chinook.
Black mouth and gums. Short, almost rectangular anal fin. Larger spots covering entire tail. Looks like far more than 12 anal fin rays (16ish?)

Here's a typical looking Atlantic (tho theres plenty of variation between the multiple strains used in Lake Ontario).
Screenshot_20220724-014053_Samsung Internet.jpg
They have a white mouth, triangular shaped anal fin with with 12 or less rays and no (or nearly no) tail spotting. They are most commonly mistaken for, and closely related to Brown Trout.

Josh

@Yt35 Are you with HFD? If so👍 have to have respect for someone who might someday come to save my stupid ass from whatever dumb sht I did. lol

@Josh Roelofsen You should write the guide to identifying salmonids and have Stomp sticky it. You must get tired of answering these. :LOL:

@Josh Roelofsen You should write the guide to identifying salmonids and have Stomp sticky it. You must get tired of answering these. :LOL:

Always happy to make good use of the knowledge I've got stashed away 😄 Trout and Salmon in particular have always been a big part of my fishing obsession and I've done my best to read, research and experience everything I can relating to them over the years.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks