Fish ID

BrianBarber

These four fish were caught at the elbow last Friday night in various depths. At the time I thought they were all rainbows. A few days later while flipping through pictures on my phone I noticed that the fish on the top has black fins and the other 3 have white fins. It also has I different shaped dorsal fan. When I caught that Fish I did notice it was a slightly different shape than the other trout we caught that night but the tail was square and it had a pinkish sheen so I counted it as a rainbow . I didn’t notice any difference in the meat while cleaning them but they all went in the smokehouse together but that fish is was slightly muddy tasting when it came out of the smoker. Personally it still looks like rainbow trout to me but can some one explain to me why it has black fins and the other three have white fins. Is it from a stocking program? Possibly a salmon hi-bread or maybe it died in the live well?? That was the last fish caught that night and that picture was taken within an hour

Attachments

• 90243477-4628-4A12-92DA-A518907A1DC5.png
    90243477-4628-4A12-92DA-A518907A1DC5.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 234
Those are definitely all rainbows! Two ways to easily confirm a rainbow are a pure white mouth and radiating rows of spots over the entire tail. Never ever try to judge by colour or you'll just end up confused ;) There's way too much individual colour variation among the many trout and salmon species.

Josh

Last edited:
Those are definitely all rainbows! Two ways to easily confirm a rainbow are a pure white mouth and radiating rows of spots over the entire tail. Never ever try to judge by colour or you'll just end up confused ;) There's way too much individual colour variation among the many trout and salmon species.

Josh
Tail is dead giveaway... There are many different strains of rainbows... This effects the look and taste of meat... Also diet and time of post spawn effects the taste as well...

Salmon have black mouthes …. rainbow have white I believe....Like Josh says...

Chinooks and Pinks have mostly black mouths. Coho have a lighter mouth but dark gums and Atlantics have an entirely white mouth just like a Steelie....it can get pretty confusing trying to ID all the species, particularly when they are in their bright silver lake attire.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks