Fish hawk users?

IamMoe

How's many people here run a fish hawk when targeting walleye on erie? I have been debating getting one but worried it would be a waste of money. I already upgraded my transducer to a tm165hw but was considering a fish hawk. Thoughts?

I have one , but only use it on lake Ontario for salmon and trout , reson for not using it on Erie due to fishing nets , if you loos your sensor would be expensive replacement, also never needed it to catch walleye, as the number of fish there vs lake Ontario, they are usually stacked up once you find one

I’d be curious to hear from guys who run them as well. Interested in using them for speed at the ball rather than depth or temperature. Do you guys find the speed is much different at the ball vs GPS cause of the currents? Especially at the end of the points where those currents are wild

I’d be curious to hear from guys who run them as well. Interested in using them for speed at the ball rather than depth or temperature. Do you guys find the speed is much different at the ball vs GPS cause of the currents? Especially at the end of the points where those currents are wild
Not to be difficult, yes and no.

I've had as little as no difference into over 3.5 difference.

You could never know that without one.

Only rarely use mine. Lake O or the elbow sometimes. Temps can be handy. There are currents but not so much off Burpwel or Bruce. Maybe the one that lets you know how deep it is would be more usefull. I'd get the transducer.

Not to be difficult, yes and no.

I've had as little as no difference into over 3.5 difference.

You could never know that without one.
Agree on the currents change the speed on your sensor, aldo I don't find Erie as bad as lake Ontario, maybe due to not running bait as deep on Erie

Currents at your bait effects the action of it , not the overall speed your bait are traveling, some baits get affected differently for example a fluter spoon will spin vs wobble at higher speed , heavier spoons such as luhr jensen shoehorn will keep its action at higher and lower speeds , it is supposed to be advertised by the manufacturer , when I fish lake Ontario and find current at extreme differences I use the heavier multi speed designed lures

I use my hawk all the time and if you fish Lake Ontario in my opinion they are great to have as sometimes the currents are different at the ball as well temp is good to know as you can find those perfect temps. Yes they are way more expensive then when I purchased my first unit but can make the difference.

i have the fish hawk x4d, the x4 would do fine... i use it all the time, I am often amazed on the difference between SOG vs SATB.
Has it caught more fish?
Hard to say, I had a great season on Huron this year and a challenging season on Erie. I can say this, information is good to have. At least if you are not catching fish you have data that allows you to try something else. If you are catching fish you have data you can replicate. Without the data you are guessing, and that works too but maybe less guessing is good?

I have one and use it mainly on Erie and for occasional trips to Ontario; it's a great asset: I found on Erie that the from east to west the current speed at the ball was as much as 2 to 3 mph or more different from the surface: Never thought the difference could be that much: works great when you find a school you an work it from different directions: Having the temperature at the ball is a bonus

Last edited:
I use the X4 and it’s nice to know the speed at the ball while fishing at the Elbow. I’ve changed out my Lowrance transducer to the Airmar TM150 which made a huge improvement on the screen display.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks