Fishing Report First try at eyes - Burwell

Great report. I have a soft spot for guys that fish with their young kids. Next time you want to get out drop send me a PM. We will take my boat and use my gear and my gas and we will see if we can get each of your 16 kids their first ‘limit’ of walleye. I’ll even show your kids how to set the dipsey’s etc. I know they will listen...your hopeless. Bahahahaaa. Great report.

This year I decided I'd buy a few rods and try to get in on the Burwell bonanza that everyone is raving about.

Took off a couple of hours early from work and blasted down. Made a call to siphon some wisdom from a fellow 6-8 member and read up on how @Way She Goes did things this morning.

I couldn't convince @Stick to give up his plumbing career so I took my 6-year-old and 9-year-old to see whether I could teach them some new swears.

I don't do much right, so I opted to run dipseys from a rod tree. 4 dipseys (set on 1 and 3) and one lead core down the chute. I also opted to use my 44 year old boat and motor.

After an hour of frustration trying to figure out how much tension to put on the dipsey release screw, I solved the problem by dropping the screwdriver in the lake.

I heard Pink Panties was a good choice, so it was first out around 45 FOW. It was hit fairly quickly and is now swimming around lake erie in the jaw of some fish that didn't know that I was dumb enough to forget to close a snap.

I think I wound up with greasy chicken wing, piston cup, blueberry muffin, and mixed veg out on the dipseys, then some random blue and silver mutant out on the lead. The lead core was 6ish colours from who-knows-when that came on something that I bought at @Stick's yard sale. I didn't want to trust it with more than a $2 spoon.

Well everything but the $2 spoon fired. All farm animals and silver bass. Took me a good while coaching the kids on bringing them in. We kept the silvers as a symbolic acceptance of our runner-up trip. Silver. Get it?

Then it happened.

A 2 minute break in the action that allowed me to check my navionics app and see that we were doing about 1.6 kts.

I bumped up the throttle on the 44 year old beast and sure enough we caught a walleye. While we reeled it in we circled uncontrollably and surely confused the nearby boats.

Okay. Relax. One is in the cooler. Let's try it again, but only in a straight line.

Nope.

More bites. More circling. More mayhem. Several fish lost due to trying desperately to release ("pop") a dipsy that is obviously too tight. A few lost at the boat when they got close enough to see a 6-year-old with an 11-foot-pole trying to make them into dinner.

Did I mention that I duct-taped my net to a pole to grab fish off the back of the boat? Yes, I'm that ghetto.

Eventually we approached a commercial net. Noticed it at the last minute, and cut the engine. Reeled everything up, and decided we had better head for shore.

We ended up with 5 eyes. We kept 4 silvers, released a bunch more and a fair few farm animals.

It was a bunch of fun. We didn't perform like the other reports from the last couple of days, but who cares!? Somehow we did better than @Red Hering this week!!!
Great report on your day. Glad you had fun.

Fun was had, fish were caught? What could be better? Thank you for the entertaining read! If the fishing doesn't work out for you I am betting you could get a gig somewhere writing for a comedy special - on fishing, or whatever - but, judging by your success - I would certainly say you are making it as a fishing family, JUST FINE!

Shame on you... you missed all the fun and may never another chance like that. :D
But when you've called 7 plumbers, only got 3 quotes in the past 2 months, 2 that were ridiculous and finally got a company that will work with you for time and materials, sacrifices have to be made. Main stack is replaced, my plumbing from the new main floor laundry is connected and the basement floor is marked for another guy to come and cut the concrete for the new bathroom tomorrow morning. I've got 2 months to get the granny flat done in the basement for my babygirl before Lake O Nooks come home and start MY TIME season. It hurts to turn down a good fish but I made my bed, so ………..what can ya do?

This year I decided I'd buy a few rods and try to get in on the Burwell bonanza that everyone is raving about.

Took off a couple of hours early from work and blasted down. Made a call to siphon some wisdom from a fellow 6-8 member and read up on how @Way She Goes did things this morning.

I couldn't convince @Stick to give up his plumbing career so I took my 6-year-old and 9-year-old to see whether I could teach them some new swears.

I don't do much right, so I opted to run dipseys from a rod tree. 4 dipseys (set on 1 and 3) and one lead core down the chute. I also opted to use my 44 year old boat and motor.

After an hour of frustration trying to figure out how much tension to put on the dipsey release screw, I solved the problem by dropping the screwdriver in the lake.

I heard Pink Panties was a good choice, so it was first out around 45 FOW. It was hit fairly quickly and is now swimming around lake erie in the jaw of some fish that didn't know that I was dumb enough to forget to close a snap.

I think I wound up with greasy chicken wing, piston cup, blueberry muffin, and mixed veg out on the dipseys, then some random blue and silver mutant out on the lead. The lead core was 6ish colours from who-knows-when that came on something that I bought at @Stick's yard sale. I didn't want to trust it with more than a $2 spoon.

Well everything but the $2 spoon fired. All farm animals and silver bass. Took me a good while coaching the kids on bringing them in. We kept the silvers as a symbolic acceptance of our runner-up trip. Silver. Get it?

Then it happened.

A 2 minute break in the action that allowed me to check my navionics app and see that we were doing about 1.6 kts.

I bumped up the throttle on the 44 year old beast and sure enough we caught a walleye. While we reeled it in we circled uncontrollably and surely confused the nearby boats.

Okay. Relax. One is in the cooler. Let's try it again, but only in a straight line.

Nope.

More bites. More circling. More mayhem. Several fish lost due to trying desperately to release ("pop") a dipsy that is obviously too tight. A few lost at the boat when they got close enough to see a 6-year-old with an 11-foot-pole trying to make them into dinner.

Did I mention that I duct-taped my net to a pole to grab fish off the back of the boat? Yes, I'm that ghetto.

Eventually we approached a commercial net. Noticed it at the last minute, and cut the engine. Reeled everything up, and decided we had better head for shore.

We ended up with 5 eyes. We kept 4 silvers, released a bunch more and a fair few farm animals.

It was a bunch of fun. We didn't perform like the other reports from the last couple of days, but who cares!? Somehow we did better than @Red Hering this week!!!
Excellent post @anonymoose except about your comment :rolleyes: about doing better than @Red Hering!! :mad::oops::ROFLMAO: lol which is not hard to do.:whistle:;)? Dipsey Divers are something that I don’t use,and even though I have all shapes & sizes & colour’s of them.The next time that I am out either on lake erie or lake huron,I will need to use them to catch fish from each side of my boat,that I am missing while travelling through “the fishing zone.” It was also nice meeting up with you by accident for the first time on the opening of bass season,(photo) on June 22/19 on long point bay.Please keep in touch & tight lines to you and your boy’s to the rest of your fishing season’s. ??????

Attachments

• 7F4069F3-5832-4187-8480-DF5A3104B4D6.jpeg
    7F4069F3-5832-4187-8480-DF5A3104B4D6.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 8
Great report. I have a soft spot for guys that fish with their young kids. Next time you want to get out drop send me a PM. We will take my boat and use my gear and my gas and we will see if we can get each of your 16 kids their first ‘limit’ of walleye. I’ll even show your kids how to set the dipsey’s etc. I know they will listen...your hopeless. Bahahahaaa. Great report.

Oh great sensai, I do appreciate all your advice! Are you sure you have a boat big enough for ALL of my kids??

That is one hell of a classy offer, @noclass !! What a classy guy ;)

It hurts to turn down a good fish but I made my bed, so ………..what can ya do?

Woah woah woah, hold up here. I said we'd go fishing - I didn't say it would be any good!! Didn't you read the post?? You should be proud of your decision-making skills in avoiding the S#!T show!!

Excellent post @anonymoose except about your comment :rolleyes: about doing better than @Red Hering!! :mad::oops::ROFLMAO: lol which is not hard to do.:whistle:;)? Dipsey Divers are something that I don’t use,and even though I have all shapes & sizes & colour’s of them.The next time that I am out either on lake erie or lake huron,I will need to use them to catch fish from each side of my boat,that I am missing while travelling through “the fishing zone.” It was also nice meeting up with you by accident for the first time on the opening of bass season,(photo) on June 22/19 on long point bay.Please keep in touch & tight lines to you and your boy’s to the rest of your fishing season’s. ??????

Hahaha I posted that cheeky comment after reading your slow report from Tuesday. Little did I know you were busy smashing rainbows on Wednesday!!

After a couple trips out with @skipper sam and chatting it over with @tailfeathers and @noclass, I decided that when gearing up my boat I'd go for the dipsy divers as my primary way of getting down to the fish. Downriggers are pricey for electric and a lot of crankin' for manual. Lead core is just way too damn long and running big boards seems like a lot of work (I probably would have run over my own boards with all the circling I did on Tuesday!). Inline boards do seem like a good plan but I don't like the idea of pulling them off half way through a fight. Dipsies seemed like a good option for being lower-cost and having less line out. When they "pop" properly, you feel the fish fight (not as good as a downrigger, but you still feel it) and the line is back in the water in a hurry after the fish is off.

I'll probably try the other options some time, once the sticker shock from all the gear I purchased this year wears off!

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments! I may not be much of a fisherman, but at least I'm entertaining!!

i agree with the methods you mention..if running boards the big boards seem like the way to go, kinda like a rigger release..now i have never fished erie but when i do make it down there(hopefully soon)ill be running riggers, and dipsey..may get 1 board just in case, but would rather a flat line....

Back