First trip from Burwell

anonymoose

Well the full team @anonymoose ran out of Burwell today.

Setting out from port I couldn't help but notice the @Cap'nkirk vessel docked with nobody aboard.

"This will be a tough day on gear" I said. It was the first and only time in my life that I've been wrong.

A quick jaunt out to 60' and lines in at 10AM. 4 dipsies with the usual suspects from silver streak. 2 5-colour lead lines, one with a RRF in fire tiger and another with a walley diver. I like body baits on the lead lines since they help pull the lead off the spool. I never catch anything on lead. You can see the problem with my logic.

We were off to a decent start. One smaller eye in the box pretty quick followed by a double header of good size walleye.

My dear wife, Mrs @anonymoose interrupted the celebrations to note that one of the lines was in a perplexing situation. Instead of heading back towards an inline planer in its usual fashion, it had decided to join us in a truncated position aboard the vessel.

A scan of the horizon revealed no @Cap'nkirk. I'm accustomed to him seeing some sort of planer board signal in the clouds and appearing to save the day. Apparently he was having reception issues and fate was transferred into our responsibility.

Thankfully there was a commercial vessel not to far off as a marker. We don't run high end gear on the 1970's era vessel, in order to maintain its heritage value, of course. 3 circles and Hawkeye @anonymoose junior was able to spot the errant board, with gear intact.

However, the captain was unable to regain his former mojo. The rest of the trip was pretty slow. Wound up with 1 bow and 5 walleye. Released a second bow and lost a 3rd when it took 2 of 3 hooks from the treble with it. Had a hard time keeping speed steady without decent gear.

Also, other excuses I haven't thought of yet.

All in, a great few hours on the water. Just could have been a little more productive.

-moose

20230714_122800.jpg
Smallest fish but biggest smile. Blinks and all.

@anonymoose unfortunately my boat will be tied to the dock thru the week this year except for weekends which haven't been kind weather wise. I was on a voluntary lay off last year and could go out any day of the week to hunt and retrieve your equipment that you so kindly left floating in the water. Lol,,BUT, I am on 3 weeks vacation starting July 23rd so for those weeks I will be out. Nice catch .. you @hvyhaul and @tailfeathers will have to show me how to fish again and where they are 😆 besides in the lake somewhere 😆

@anonymoose unfortunately my boat will be tied to the dock thru the week this year except for weekends which haven't been kind weather wise. I was on a voluntary lay off last year and could go out any day of the week to hunt and retrieve your equipment that you so kindly left floating in the water. Lol,,BUT, I am on 3 weeks vacation starting July 23rd so for those weeks I will be out. Nice catch .. you @hvyhaul and @tailfeathers will have to show me how to fish again and where they are 😆 besides in the lake somewhere 😆
I'm not sure how I made it on to that list, @Cap'nkirk but if I were a betting man I'd take coordinates from the other two first!!

Well the full team @anonymoose ran out of Burwell today.

Setting out from port I couldn't help but notice the @Cap'nkirk vessel docked with nobody aboard.

"This will be a tough day on gear" I said. It was the first and only time in my life that I've been wrong.

A quick jaunt out to 60' and lines in at 10AM. 4 dipsies with the usual suspects from silver streak. 2 5-colour lead lines, one with a RRF in fire tiger and another with a walley diver. I like body baits on the lead lines since they help pull the lead off the spool. I never catch anything on lead. You can see the problem with my logic.

We were off to a decent start. One smaller eye in the box pretty quick followed by a double header of good size walleye.

My dear wife, Mrs @anonymoose interrupted the celebrations to note that one of the lines was in a perplexing situation. Instead of heading back towards an inline planer in its usual fashion, it had decided to join us in a truncated position aboard the vessel.

A scan of the horizon revealed no @Cap'nkirk. I'm accustomed to him seeing some sort of planer board signal in the clouds and appearing to save the day. Apparently he was having reception issues and fate was transferred into our responsibility.

Thankfully there was a commercial vessel not to far off as a marker. We don't run high end gear on the 1970's era vessel, in order to maintain its heritage value, of course. 3 circles and Hawkeye @anonymoose junior was able to spot the errant board, with gear intact.

However, the captain was unable to regain his former mojo. The rest of the trip was pretty slow. Wound up with 1 bow and 5 walleye. Released a second bow and lost a 3rd when it took 2 of 3 hooks from the treble with it. Had a hard time keeping speed steady without decent gear.

Also, other excuses I haven't thought of yet.

All in, a great few hours on the water. Just could have been a little more productive.

-moose

View attachment 76407
Smallest fish but biggest smile. Blinks and all.
Love reading your “comical” fishing report’s @anonymoose 👍👍 and please keep them coming as always! A beautiful looking day of walleye fishing for you all,and thanks for sharing your fishing trip with your family. Tight lines & walleye’s/rainbow’s on to you and the rest of your family,to the rest of the year. 🚤🎣🐟🐟 👍🙂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks