Family day team effort - Simcoe

icefisherman

After quick recovery from Saturday punishment today was a breeze. Friend gave me and the boys ride on his snowmobile and what a difference it makes when you travel as a human to your spot instead of barely get there all exhausted. Even the -32 degrees didn't scare us. Coldest ever fishing day for me. We were counting on two heaters and two huts.
For some reason the Mr. Heater I bought from a guy in Barrie couple weeks ago didn't want to start in the morning. Tried it over 100 times...in the beginning the pilot light was coming up but didn't want to fire up after that...when trying to light it up on low the pilot kept extinguishing....later on even the pilot didn't want to start... if anyone knows if those things can be repaired please let me know how to fix it...otherwise will need to go in the garbage. Paid $70 for it and only lasted 2 trips...... not happy with it...who knows why the guy sold it to me...

The other heater in my buddy's hut worked fine so kids were kept comfy all morning. In the meantime I kept moving around drilling holes and barely marking any fish...the kids/buddy's hut though was marking from time to time...and slowly started getting them on the ice...Eventually I gave up on my scouting operation and went in their hut to warm up and get few whities myself. Had to work very hard for the last fish but eventually ended up with 4 limits and about 10 other bumps we missed. Toughest bite I had on the ice this season. We really had to work for them...only singles showing up and not always biting...well not every day is the same...Meegs again did all the damage but had to really fines the presentation, change tubes, lure size etc.
Kids were happy, reeled in some fish was nice and sunny and even warmed up to about -15 when living.
Not a bad way to spend family day....
Whities are in the brine waiting for the smoker in next couple days weather permitting.
Few shots from the day:

20150216_102234_resized_zpsu1vr55qq.jpg

20150216_124237_resized_zpshrmhkyn0.jpg

20150216_125443_resized_zpsfnohowli.jpg

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

That sounds like what happens to the buddys when they are operated on refilled, unfiltered 1 lb bottles, or hooked up to a 20 lbr without an inline filter, I'm told they get gummed up, and cant b fixed.

Wow amazing day out!!! I'll be happy if I can catch one whitie this season. Gonna try again Wednesday.

That sounds like what happens to the buddys when they are operated on refilled, unfiltered 1 lb bottles, or hooked up to a 20 lbr without an inline filter, I'm told they get gummed up, and cant b fixed.

I just refilled a new propane tank (1 lb) and tested it in home conditions. Fired up without any problems from the first time.
Watched few youtube videos of people cleaning the tube with alcohol so I might try that and see what happens. For some reason it works fine at home but not out in the cold where I need it most.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

After quick recovery from Saturday punishment today was a breeze. Friend gave me and the boys ride on his snowmobile and what a difference it makes when you travel as a human to your spot instead of barely get there all exhausted. Even the -32 degrees didn't scare us. Coldest ever fishing day for me. We were counting on two heaters and two huts.
For some reason the Mr. Heater I bought from a guy in Barrie couple weeks ago didn't want to start in the morning. Tried it over 100 times...in the beginning the pilot light was coming up but didn't want to fire up after that...when trying to light it up on low the pilot kept extinguishing....later on even the pilot didn't want to start... if anyone knows if those things can be repaired please let me know how to fix it...otherwise will need to go in the garbage. Paid $70 for it and only lasted 2 trips...... not happy with it...who knows why the guy sold it to me...

The other heater in my buddy's hut worked fine so kids were kept comfy all morning. In the meantime I kept moving around drilling holes and barely marking any fish...the kids/buddy's hut though was marking from time to time...and slowly started getting them on the ice...Eventually I gave up on my scouting operation and went in their hut to warm up and get few whities myself. Had to work very hard for the last fish but eventually ended up with 4 limits and about 10 other bumps we missed. Toughest bite I had on the ice this season. We really had to work for them...only singles showing up and not always biting...well not every day is the same...Meegs again did all the damage but had to really fines the presentation, change tubes, lure size etc.
Kids were happy, reeled in some fish was nice and sunny and even warmed up to about -15 when living.
Not a bad way to spend family day....
Whities are in the brine waiting for the smoker in next couple days weather permitting.
Few shots from the day:

20150216_102234_resized_zpsu1vr55qq.jpg

20150216_124237_resized_zpshrmhkyn0.jpg

20150216_125443_resized_zpsfnohowli.jpg

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman
Ice, I have an older Mr heater , the one that hooks to the top of a 20lber . I have to light it set on Hi and they back it down On the colder days the gas is denser so that always seems to work . Nice Catch !

I had a similar problem with a propane heater a few years back. when it gets too cold propane doesn't want to work. not sure if it's the low pressure in the 1lbers or just due to the temperature

Man, you sure know how to smash them up there buddy!!! I still gotta try and ice one of those beautiful whitties this year!!! Not sure if I will be able to make the trip again this year though...:(

For some reason it works fine at home but not out in the cold where I need it most.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Don't laugh at this suggestion; but it works to get them too light on those really cold days.
Get the heater toasty warm, by lighting it at home just before you're ready to go. Shut it down and let it cool too the touch and then wrap it in a blanket, sleeping bag whatever. Now put My Buddy to bed inside a cooler making sure it is packed tight full with the heater and blanket; even if you have to tie the lid shut.
The heater will stay warm in there for hours; well at least warm enough to light when you're ready for it.

Dan.

Like someone suggested Emil, if the 1 lb bottle is too cold they can be a pain to start in this weather. If it's bitter I usually keep one inside my coat for the trip out and put it in the heater once you get there. I guess it is kind of 'low pressure' in the propane cylinder because the vapour pressure of the propane is directly related to liquid temperature.....

Even my BBQ is hard to light when cold.....

I had several Mr Buddy heaters over the years. I found u needed a filter in the line to keep dirt from getting in the nozzle where the flame is and when cold they did not light worth a darn.

I Cant wait for summer!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a small propane torch when it's really cold, just to heat up the lines in the buddy heater before starting. Saved me this past weekend on Georgain Bay....And agreed, the propane you get at a gas station doesn't seem as clean as the 1lb tanks. A filter is a must when I use my 5lb tank.

Josh

I carry a small propane torch when it's really cold, just to heat up the lines in the buddy heater before starting. Saved me this past weekend on Georgain Bay....And agreed, the propane you get at a gas station doesn't seem as clean as the 1lb tanks. A filter is a must when I use my 5lb tank.

Josh

Josh, where exactly do you heat up with the torch. Afraid I may heat up the wrong area.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

If you crank up the heater you can usually light the front of the unit with the torch and it'll thaw thaw out on its own......might need to light it a couple times. Maybe a couple quick blasts of heat on the pilot tube if it's not lighting too. Just careful not to melt anything! I've had to use the torch on several trips when temps are -25c or colder....

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks